Planned addition to S95 rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

addyngan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I have been shooting with S95 + Canon housing + ULCS tray and arm (5") + single Inon D2000 for some time, and I'm heading to Komodo next month. To prepare for the trip i am planning to get a few additions to my rig:

1. Sola 1200P as focus/video light (with flexarm)
2. Wide-angle lens (Inon UWL-H100), Close-up lens (Inon UCL-165), with the Inon LD mount base
3. A LD lens holder to attach to the ULCS arm.

Does the plan make sense? Am I missing something obvious?

Also my previous setup is slightly negative underwater. With the new components especially the wide-angle lens at > 1 lb, should i be worried about weight? Do people with similar rigs try to add buoyant foam or use buoyant arms to make it more neutral?

Thanks all!

I've never used the UWL-H100, but is there a reason you aren't going for the UFL fisheye? I have one and love it.

The rest of the plan sounds solid. I use an s95/Ikelite/dual S&S YS-01 with no foam and have no problems with negative buoyancy.

Thanks Asha. You mean the UFL-165AD ? There are a few reasons i haven't considered it -

1. it's supposedly designed for 35mm wide compacts, which means it would vignette at 28mm. not a huge deal i guess given how wide it is.
2. for the above reason i am planning to get the LD mount, which doesn't support the UFL-165 unless i get an adapter which would make it vignette even more. It looks like LD mount is a little safer for the "future", e.g. the S100 which starts at 24mm.

3. (the main reason) I have never used a wide-conversion lens and had been reasonably with S95. So i am a little hesitant to go dramatically wider, especially I am not planning to add a second strobe yet.

I also heard that once i put a wide-conversion lens on, i shdn't zoom much. So if a fisheye ended up too wide, I'd have to take it off instead of just zooming in. Kind of the same for the UWL, but maybe less likely for it to be "too wide".

Glad to know it won't be too heavy. I know i should try it locally, but i'm too busy/lazy to do it before the trip :)

I've never used the UWL-H100, but is there a reason you aren't going for the UFL fisheye? I have one and love it.

The rest of the plan sounds solid. I use an s95/Ikelite/dual S&S YS-01 with no foam and have no problems with negative buoyancy.

The UWLH-100 is around 13 oz or 370 grams negative. I believe your set up before this lens was probably 250 grams negative so now the whole rig will be 670 negative as the inon mount also adds
My recommendations;
1: focus light unless you want something good for video the inon mount has already a cold shoe you can get away with a small fix or fantasea if you only need it to focus
2. I would get two stix jumbo floats to balance the rig only don't add more otherwise the rig becomes positive if you don't dive with the lens
3. For the wide lens you need to create a custom made float. I have made myself one if you look in the tips and tricks you can see it. You need a float to make the lens neutral on its own so it is easier to manouvre in water

As it turns out I am also selling two jumbo floats as I only need two, two normal floats and also one custom adapter float belt. Send me a pm if you want them they weight nothing so shipping costs are small. I have now found a way to mount an AD lens to the époque video I had so am getting rid of both UWL100 and custom float

Thanks Interceptor121! Will PM you.

The UWLH-100 is around 13 oz or 370 grams negative. I believe your set up before this lens was probably 250 grams negative so now the whole rig will be 670 negative as the inon mount also adds
My recommendations;
1: focus light unless you want something good for video the inon mount has already a cold shoe you can get away with a small fix or fantasea if you only need it to focus
2. I would get two stix jumbo floats to balance the rig only don't add more otherwise the rig becomes positive if you don't dive with the lens
3. For the wide lens you need to create a custom made float. I have made myself one if you look in the tips and tricks you can see it. You need a float to make the lens neutral on its own so it is easier to manouvre in water

As it turns out I am also selling two jumbo floats as I only need two, two normal floats and also one custom adapter float belt. Send me a pm if you want them they weight nothing so shipping costs are small. I have now found a way to mount an AD lens to the époque video I had so am getting rid of both UWL100 and custom float

Back
Top Bottom