Planning a December Cal trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OWC was in a lake in Illinois with water temps around 58-62F and outside temps of 33F. I have an understanding of what the water will be like and the extreme differences between my certification dives versus what I have been recently logging. I have read a lot of concerns by California divers regarding people coming to dive off California's coast who's prior experience is mostly Caribbean. Is it because they weren't expecting the cold water and therefore didn't enjoy the diving? Is it because of Kelp forests and the major differences in environment? I am sure it will be a huge learning experience for us. Thanks for the advice on the wetsuits!

Colder, darker, rougher than Caribbean for most part. Kelp freaks some people out...snorkel in it first..it won't grab you like a meat eating plant...much of the interesting stuff is hiding ...bring light and poke in crevices...go slow..stay shallow first dive or two...extra wetsuit means more bc adjustments as you go up and down in depth and a lot more weight. I keep coming back and have been to some world class places...tho I admit I miss them at times. Guarantee it will be better than that cold Illinois lake...lol.

Hi,
I'm making a similar trip too! May I know which dive shops, boat operators and hotels (budget to mid-priced) are dependable and recommended in Catalina?

Thanks!

I have read a lot of concerns by California divers regarding people coming to dive off California's coast who's prior experience is mostly Caribbean. Is it because they weren't expecting the cold water and therefore didn't enjoy the diving? Is it because of Kelp forests and the major differences in environment? I am sure it will be a huge learning experience for us. Thanks for the advice on the wetsuits!

I personally think it's: 1) the cumbersome nature (and the reduced dexterity) of a thick wetsuit, gloves, boots, and a hood couples 2) a ton more weight 3) the cold and 4) much less viz.

Don't hesitate to hire a DM at least to help you adjust the first day. They can be well worth the money.

It is a very unique environment and you will have a good time. Flying through the kelp forest is a really cool experience. IMO one of the most beautiful underwater shots is at the bottom of the kelp forest looking up into a sunburst. Classic Southern California diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Btw what are the water temperatures in Catalina and San Diego?

My temperature logs from recent December dives show 53-56 degrees at moderate (50-60 foot) depths.

For hotels, you have "tourist" hotels which can run $150+ a night (look for packages that include the Catalina Express ride over and back), and a few more "modest" hotels that cater more to divers. Seaport Village does a nice job for divers, will pick you up at the terminal, drop you at the dive park, and has a room for your gear, plus serves breakfast (Meals can get pricy since you are on an island). They are not right "downtown" on main street but the walk up the hill isn't bad.

There is a lot of good info here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/231885-catalina-island-info.html. Start at the end for the most recent info.

My temperature logs from recent December dives show 53-56 degrees at moderate (50-60 foot) depths.

That is cold! Good thing I bought a new drysuit..lol!

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 11:21 AM ----------

For hotels, you have "tourist" hotels which can run $150+ a night (look for packages that include the Catalina Express ride over and back), and a few more "modest" hotels that cater more to divers. Seaport Village does a nice job for divers, will pick you up at the terminal, drop you at the dive park, and has a room for your gear, plus serves breakfast (Meals can get pricy since you are on an island). They are not right "downtown" on main street but the walk up the hill isn't bad.

There is a lot of good info here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/231885-catalina-island-info.html. Start at the end for the most recent info.

Thank you!

That is cold! Good thing I bought a new drysuit..lol!

Last week, it was still 70F. Huge difference between summer and winter temps. You will love being dry Dec-May.

Good buoyancy control and situational awareness are your friends. They will help you enjoy the kelp instead of getting tangled. You already know cold water from IL, so thick insulation and 20lb weight belts are not an issue, like it often is for tropical divers. Visibility will also be way better than IL lakes if you dive any of the Islands. It can be spectacular (100'+) in December if no storms stir things up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom