Planning a trip to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are planning a trip to Key Largo for our 25th wedding anniversary Sept. 07. Never having been to FL. I have a lot of questions. I plan on diving in the morning and spending the rest of the day with my wife (except our actual anniversary, do you think I want to die?) Would like to know about dive operaters, is there things for my non-diving spouse to do? Any info would be helpful

Try Conch Republic out of Tavernier.They are pretty good.Theres a lot of little shops and stores spread out all along the Keys.

My impression of Key Largo is that it is mostly centered on diving. Shopping and nightlife are limited compared to the lower Keys (where the diving isn't as good). There is the John Pennekamp state park with a nice aquarium, glass bottom boat tours, some rudimentary snorkeling, the omnipresent Shell World stores and, of course, the spas at places like the Marriott. There are other watersports, jet runners, parasailing, etc, but the beaches are limited on the keys as well.

I use Ocean Divers mm 100 --- a cattle boat but a good one

Shakey has it just about right! There are some touristy things to do up and down the Keys during the day (Feed the Tarpon, Glass bottom boat, lunch at Annes Beach) but for night night--in Key Largo there isn't much.

The Key Largo Coffee House has open mike night on Saturday night and great food...and they has some music on Friday night also---

If you're looking for more of a "night" life--you'll want to head south!

Pat

Agree Conch Republic in Tavernier is likely the best op in the Keys. Call Capt Gary and Adm Brenda. They can set you up with diving and lodging.

I know Pat and Brent are being modest, but you might also want to check out their dive ops as well (Silent World, and Blue Water Divers). Both excellent ops and a few miles closer than Tavernier.

Key Largo has some really nice places to stay, and while the night life in K.L. isn't the best, Miami is closer to Key Largo than is Key West, and the diving in K.L., is the best in the Keys.

Just my .02 psi

I have not yet done any dives with Silent World, but they come highly recommended. I have dived with Quiescence, Blue Water, and Conch Republic. All three were fine, and took good care of us. Personally I like Brent (Blue Water) and Gary/Brenda )Conch Republic best of the three that I have used because they are frequent participants and contributors on this Board. You really just need to take a little time, read back over the last 4 or 5 pages under this same forum, and you will find TONS of information and suggestions. Have a great trip.

Check out Silent World...smaller boats, personal attention and great rates on package dives. Living in Key West, I dive with them on a regular basis and have always been extremely satisfied with both the diving and the service.

And no, I don't work for them:)

Andrew

Bike rider
My wife and I just spent a week in the keys. We stayed with friends in the South keys, but if you want to go diving (worth driving around for ....) contact KeyLargo Brent. He responded to your inquiryin this thread. He is at Blue Water Divers of key Largo, at mile marker 100, but all the good divemasters dive with most of the charter companys. Brent took VERY good care of us on 8 dives (and we had only planned two with him...).

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom