Planning Cozumel / Aventuras trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kafkaland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm płanning a trip with a dive buddy, one week to Cozumel and one week to the caves around Puerto Aventuras. I have been quite a few times to the Playa to Tulum area, and are quite familiar with the logistics there, but don't know much about Cozumel. I am thinking about staying at an airbnb, and finding a suitable dive op instead of staying at a hotel with attached dive operation or such.

My biggest question is whether sidemounting on Cozumel is a good idea. That's what I'm diving in the caves, and it would save me hauling another harness and reg set down there if I can use it for the Cozumel dives as well. Besides, what I hear abut somet of the swim-throughs, having a redundant configuration that I'm very comfortable with doesn't seem like a bad idea. Are there dive ops that support side mount diving on the island, and can I rent sidemount tanks there? Or do I bring them with me from Playa?

On Cozumel, I'd like to do more than the two dives per day that most boats offer. What's my best bet for this? Looking for an afternoon or evening boat, or do some shore dives? And if I do shore dives on my own, can I simply rent a Nitrox tank for that at just about any shop, or is there more to that?

Thank you!

I've seen one guy sidemount on the reef at Coz. Can't you make any AL80's work? Blue Angel and others will rent tanks for use off of their resorts. I don't think you will need nitrox for shore dives in Coz. You will have to try hard to find any depth from shore. Meridiano will rent tanks if you want to go other than in front of a dive shop.

Aldora routinely supports side mount divers. Alum 80 s can be made available but our standards are hp 120s and hp 100s. Even tiny hp 80s if you want to go small!

Recently stayed at a nice and inexpensive B&B in Puerto Aventuras—Papagayo Dos. Not on the beach but close to the gate. Check with them

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

There was a thread on the Devil's Throat dive in Cozumel that took a SB twist and asked about sidemount. As I remenber a few SB members responded that they had no problem. I think one was @NWGratefulDiver. I will try and find the thread.

Aluminum 80's are on most of the dive ops. But you will probably have to rig them. From my one trip I would think that SM for most ops would not be a problem. It would be back roll entry but taking off the gear in water and handing up is not unusual for Cozumel.

Several ops offer afternoon dives as well as morning.

We stayed at a small B & B in town. Great location, wonderful breakfast and very close to lots of good restaurants. Two negatives, the rooms are very small with no in room TV or comfortable couches/chairs in room. The bed was pretty much the seating. Small but nice pool with very private garden area.

Villa Escondida Cozumel Bed and Breakfast is located right in downtown Cozumel, and it is ideal for travelers who want local attractions at their doorsteps: great dining, the main pier, the central park, local shops and more are all at a short walk from this charming villa. A delicious, complete breakfast consisting of fresh brewed mexican coffee, selection of teas, fresh orange juice, pastries or homemade baking, hot main dish /mexican dishes are our specialty!) and fresh fruit and yogurt is served in the terrace every morning.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Last edited:
Jumping in to this thread because I find myself in a similar situation. Going to Cozumel for a week in April and heading over to PDC for a day of cenotes. I'd prefer to just take my sidemount rig.

Will be diving with Dive Paradise on one of their "fast boats." Waiting to hear back from Dive Paradise as to whether SM will be okay and if I can just dive my 2 tanks for both dives.

Anyone have any experience sidemounting with Dive Paradise? Or just general experience with Dive Paradise and able to advise, do they just use standard AL80s?

Back
Top Bottom