Planning first dive trip since checkout dives. Thoughts or recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smokin3000gt

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I got our OW certs a couple weeks ago and are planning our first dive mid January to Florida's east coast (Vero beach or Lauderdale) or going down to Key Largo and checking out the Molasses reef. We are thinking driving Saturday morning and doing an AM 2 tank dive, lunch, then go out for the afternoon trip (2 tank). Staying the night, and doing one more trip out (2 tanks) Sunday morning before driving back home.

The dives will mostly be 25'-40' reef dives to start out easy and get comfortable.

So a couple questions right off the bat.

1. Is 6 tanks pushing it?

2. Air or Nitrox?

3. Where should we go? Verro Beach, Lauderdale, or Keys?

4. Any dive ops/spots you can recommend?

Any suggestions at all are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks everyone

40' doesnt really need nitrox. Watch your computers closely so you don't overload on nitrogen. Take it super slow and spend the first couple of dives or the first part of each dive practicing skills. For instance instead of hitting the bottom and taking off, go to the bottom hover get the air right in your bc and practice swimming back and forth at the same level. Once you have this set then you can signal each other and start swimming. Let the dive op know you are new. Be honest with them, they will help you out. Tip them afterward for the help.

I'd say Key Largo. I send my "newly certified" students, there.

There are many qualified dive operators. I'd suggest a smaller one, first (e.g. Blue Water Divers in Key Largo). They can fix you up on lodging discounts, too.

Regardless of where you go, tell them you are newly certified. They will treat you well. I'd suggest having them put a DM/DiveCon in the water with you. Some large "cattle car" operations will do that too, but I wouldn't put much stock in that (one lost my daughter, after ensuring us they would keep with us newbies). I would NOT recommend a "cattle car" operation for your first bluewater dives. Too much stress, crowded, not pleasnat.

On your dives, do what you feel comfortable with. The main thing is to stay hydrated, stay warm (that many dives in one day, and you should wear a full wetsuit, IMHO), and keep food in you. If you're tired, then lay off a dive. And, of course, your nitrogen loading will control bottom time, too.

If you're Nitrox certified, go for it. On multiple dives/day, I dive only EAN32, as I don't seem to need the "scuba nap".

Congrats on your certification, and enjoy your dives.

So a couple questions right off the bat.

1. Is 6 tanks pushing it?

2. Air or Nitrox?

3. Where should we go? Verro Beach, Lauderdale, or Keys?

4. Any dive ops/spots you can recommend?

Any suggestions at all are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks everyone

Six tanks in a day and a half is a lot unless things are going perfectly. And given that you are brand new divers a hickup or two would not be uncommon.

2. For dives above 40 fsw there is minimal advantage to nitrox. Besides which if you just did OW are you certified for it?

3. Largo and Tavineir are great. Don't know about Vero or Lauderdale.

4. Ocean Divers or Conch Republic.

That is a pretty ambitious dive plan I would really plan for 3 dives a day. Nitrox is not really necesrary considering your depth and the NDL for those dives.

I think that you should also consider doing a couple of shore dives....

I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your dives. Pennekamp sounds perfect for you..

Cheers,
Roger

My max is usually 5, 2 mornings and 2 afternoons...sometimes a night.

I think you are going to get tired. It can be quite a bit of effort, getting in and out of gear and moving around on the deck of a boat, especially if the water is at all rough. And I also find that the chilling that occurs as a result of diving multiple times in a day is very fatiguing.

I don't know what the area where you are going is like, but would it be possible to do the boat dives in the morning, and then plan a simple shore dive in the afternoon, if you are feeling up to it? That way, you don't commit money for a boat trip where you may only do one of the dives and then decide you're all in.

40' doesnt really need nitrox. Watch your computers closely so you don't overload on nitrogen. Take it super slow and spend the first couple of dives or the first part of each dive practicing skills. For instance instead of hitting the bottom and taking off, go to the bottom hover get the air right in your bc and practice swimming back and forth at the same level. Once you have this set then you can signal each other and start swimming. Let the dive op know you are new. Be honest with them, they will help you out. Tip them afterward for the help.

Good points. I was thinking nitrox to keep nitrogen down over the course of two days and also because I've heard that we will be (or should be) less fatigued diving EA instead of air.

I'd say Key Largo. I send my "newly certified" students, there.

There are many qualified dive operators. I'd suggest a smaller one, first (e.g. Blue Water Divers in Key Largo). They can fix you up on lodging discounts, too.

Regardless of where you go, tell them you are newly certified. They will treat you well. I'd suggest having them put a DM/DiveCon in the water with you. Some large "cattle car" operations will do that too, but I wouldn't put much stock in that (one lost my daughter, after ensuring us they would keep with us newbies). I would NOT recommend a "cattle car" operation for your first bluewater dives. Too much stress, crowded, not pleasnat.

On your dives, do what you feel comfortable with. The main thing is to stay hydrated, stay warm (that many dives in one day, and you should wear a full wetsuit, IMHO), and keep food in you. If you're tired, then lay off a dive. And, of course, your nitrogen loading will control bottom time, too.

If you're Nitrox certified, go for it. On multiple dives/day, I dive only EAN32, as I don't seem to need the "scuba nap".
Congrats on your certification, and enjoy your dives.

Cool! I just checked out Blue Water and read some reviews and they seem perfect for what we're looking. Trying to avoid the scuba nap so we'll most likely dive EA. Any further recommendations on where to stay?

Six tanks in a day and a half is a lot unless things are going perfectly. And given that you are brand new divers a hickup or two would not be uncommon.

2. For dives above 40 fsw there is minimal advantage to nitrox. Besides which if you just did OW are you certified for it?

3. Largo and Tavineir are great. Don't know about Vero or Lauderdale.

4. Ocean Divers or Conch Republic.

Yes, our LDS was running a killer special at the time and included it with the OW.

That is a pretty ambitious dive plan I would really plan for 3 dives a day. Nitrox is not really necesrary considering your depth and the NDL for those dives.

I think that you should also consider doing a couple of shore dives....

I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your dives. Pennekamp sounds perfect for you..

Cheers,
Roger

Hey Roger, a few shore dives seems like a good alternative for the afternoon but have read there isn't much for shore diving in Pennekamp. Any other places to shore dive in Key Largo?

I think you are going to get tired. It can be quite a bit of effort, getting in and out of gear and moving around on the deck of a boat, especially if the water is at all rough. And I also find that the chilling that occurs as a result of diving multiple times in a day is very fatiguing.

I don't know what the area where you are going is like, but would it be possible to do the boat dives in the morning, and then plan a simple shore dive in the afternoon, if you are feeling up to it? That way, you don't commit money for a boat trip where you may only do one of the dives and then decide you're all in.

I definitely like the idea of doing a couple shore dives in the afternoon that way it's entirely up in the air and we can do it if we're up to it and we're not committed if we're not like you said. Any place you can think of for shore diving (Key Largo)? I also agree with you on the FB wetsuit. I was planning on a full body 5mm.

If you haven't finalized plans yet consider the West Palm Beach, Riviera Beach area. There are several good dive operators and if high tide is right during your trip, you can shore dive Blue Heron Bridge as an easy third dive. We usually dive with Narcosis but Abernathy may be a better choice or you. If you are adamant about depth, check with your chosen dive charter to see if you can specify the dives that day. Many operators will let the first person booking a dive choose the reef for that trip that they will honor as long as dive conditions allow. In the Keys, we liked Key Dives out of Islamorada and request alligator reef. Unless things have changed, they will help set up your gear if you need help and store your gear between dives if you want them too.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom