Planning first PI dive trip April 2019....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideways

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy Philippine experts! We have finally quit messing around and are planning our first dive safari to the Philippines! We've balked in the past because it seems like the PI can be a logistical nightmare to get around. By get around I mean 2 -55yr olds lugging 3 -50lb suitcases and at least 3 carry ons. I need help avoiding any pitfalls such as surcharges on flights and ferries, travel tips, etc.... Also, help formulating a solid strategy to minimize travel. Here's a quick snapshot of what I'm thinking right now....

24 day total April 1-24
Flight from LAX - Cebu- Puerto Princessa
7 day LOB - Tubbataha - Stella Maris
4 days El Nido - 6hr van ride each way... ugh! (This might get chopped if another better option comes up)
1 day fly from PP-Cebu

At that point I have to formalize the rest of the plan. I know I want to hit Sanctuary Beach Dive Resort in Cabilao (Thanks Luko!). When I hit that I'm not sure. The beginning of that leg? or to finish the vacation? So any thoughts on a logistically sound leg to this leg?? One that doesn't kill me...:D

We love it all, Pelagics, reefscapes, macro. Not fans of straight muck diving though. Wishlist? Whalesharks, Mantas, Threshers.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!

Greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

We look forward to having you join us on All Star Stella Maris. We would be happy to assist with planning any extensions on your trip. There are some other options getting from Puerto Princesa to El Nido with several flights per week. Feel free to call our office or email myself at kevin@allstarliveaboards.com

www.allstarliveaboards.com/philippines

In El Nido there are a couple of island hoping tours worth doing. Bring mask and a snorkel.

On the way back you can fly directly from El Nido to Cebu and avoid the van ride.

From Cebu, 3 hour ferry, to S Leyte. You are there at the right time of year for whale sharks, Peter's Resort is great.
Also Malapascua, great little island with Thresher shark dives every morning.

Southern Leyte(possibility of whaleshark)
Malapascua(thresher shark more or less guaranteed)
Oslob(whaleshark however the presentation is not everyone cup of tea). Only couple of hrs from Cebu City.

In term of diving, Southern Leyte trumps the rest in the region but slightly time consuming to get there.
There is good chance that you might see whaleshark in Tubattaha so my suggestion is Malapascua.
BTW, make sure you stop over in Sabang on the way to El Nido for the Underground River(UNESCO site). You can actually book a tour to the Underground Riven and then proceed to El Nido afterward(same day).

Tapanee Resort great palace to stay on Malapascua, private beach and great breakfast. Walking distance from the main beach and lots of dive shops. I used Thresher Shark Divers 5 times, good operation. They arranged private transport for me as I am always traveling with dive gear bag and UW photo gear and public transport is out of the question.

Hey Greg, I was planning on going to the Philippines April 2019 as well. So thanks for asking this question and thanks to everyone who is replying.

I'm going to follow this thread for ideas but my trip is going to be a little different. So I'll post my own thread as well.

Darrell

Well, things are starting to take shape as far as itinerary. Thanks to everyone for the great advice and info. I tried to balance out the destinations with travel and the complete dive "Menu" for that particular area.

March 31- April 24

Arrive in Puerto Princessa for 2 nights then M/V Stella Maris for 7 days @ Tubbataha
Travel to Panglao, Alona Beach for 4 days diving on Balicasag
Travel to Cabilao for 5/6 days diving and relaxing
Travel to Cebu day before flight out.

I really toyed with the idea of doing a couple days in Malapascua for the Threshers but for us it's not worth the traveling (7-9 hrs between Cabilao/Alona- Malapascua). 4 destinations lugging all our gear is enough for me I think.

A couple questions. I read in another thread that the flights from Cebu to Puerto Princessa can be sketchy. I'm giving an extra day just in case the first days flight gets cancelled. IF that were to happen what would you do? Take the risk of it getting cancelled the next day? Or ferry over? I also read that Philippine Air is a little more trustworthy than Cebu Air as far as that flight not getting cancelled, yes?

As far as ferries.... we will be doing a lot obviously. Like I mentioned we will have 3 - 50lb bags and 3 carryon / bags. What will the charges be roughly?

Of course nothing is etched in stone yet, so if anyone has any Whaleshark or Manta info that you think I should consider PLEASE give me a shout. As far as Whaleshark's, we're looking for a scenario where we have a good chance running into them while diving. The snorkeling option with 100 people isn't our cup of tea.

Any other helpful tips are greatly appreciated! Sometimes it's the little things that can make the difference between a smooth trip and a nightmare, especially with all the island hopping.

Hey Greg, I was planning on going to the Philippines April 2019 as well. So thanks for asking this question and thanks to everyone who is replying.

I'm going to follow this thread for ideas but my trip is going to be a little different. So I'll post my own thread as well.

Darrell
Hey Darrell, I saw your thread, did you change your dates? Or are you doing April?

Never had any issues with flights Cebu to Palawan and back. There are a few flights a day. Take Cebu Pacific flights in the morning less chance of them being late.

I would skip Alona and do S Leyte, whale shark season. Alona is busy and crowded. S Leyte is off the beaten path, good diving.

Never had any issues with flights Cebu to Palawan and back. There are a few flights a day. Take Cebu Pacific flights in the morning less chance of them being late.

I would skip Alona and do S Leyte, whale shark season. Alona is busy and crowded. S Leyte is off the beaten path, good diving.
Good to know about the flights! So, my whole reason for Alona is Balicasag. Suuposed to be phenom diving with the reefs, schooling jacks, and macro. The whalesharks, and when you're saying South Leyte I'm assuming you mean Sogod Bay, are diving accessible and not snorkeling? What about the rest of the diving? Reefs, pelagics, macro? Thanks!

I was diving Sogod Bay with Peter's mid May this year, after whale shark season. I was very impressed with the diving, the dive operation and accomadations. Good value for the money. Super friendly staff. Reef is very nice, lot's to photograph, had 5 frog fish on one dive. Night dive at the jetty not to be missed, blue ring octopus, sea horses, star gazers, ghost pipe fish. Macro dive was good too, highlight was a wonderpus.
I arranged transport from Massin to the resort, 45 minutes. Can take a trike too.
gazer tongue.jpg
WP2.jpg
decorator crab.jpg
camo frogy.jpg
Stary octo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom