Planning for Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sucker4scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys

I want to plan a trip to Mozambique in the next 12 months or so but have no idea where to start. I dont want to do the thing through an agency as this limits you to their schedules and time tables. Those trips are also very expensive and if you go as a group of 4 or 6 people it can get a hefty sum of money... I want to rent a 4x4 and do the DIY thing. I want cheap but good accomidation (by saying that I mean a clean bed to sleep in and facilities where you can make your own food if need.)

Can anyone give me some advise.... when to go, what to see, where to go, who to contact, what to take with (I imagine insect repelant is a high one on the list...), things to remember, places to stay and see, places for airfills and repairs, things that would make the trip easier, where to rent a 4x4, what routs to take....I can go on and on and on...

Please help a fellow diver...PLEEEEESE...

Hi there,

How far north into Mozambique are you planning to go?

Do you want to dive at Ponto do Ouro/Malogane/Mamoli or further north at Guinjata/Xai Xai, etc?

Sorry for the questions. Just want to see if I can help out.

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
Hi there,

How far north into Mozambique are you planning to go?

Do you want to dive at Ponto do Ouro/Malogane/Mamoli or further north at Guinjata/Xai Xai, etc?

Sorry for the questions. Just want to see if I can help out.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

At this stage the whole of Moz is up for discussion as I have not planned to go to any specific destination there at all. If the diving is good where ever there I want to make a stop over and stay a night or two. That is the reason why I dont want these "planned packages" because they limit you to their boundries and locations. If the diving is good up north. I wanna see it!!! If it is good in the south... count it in as a destination....

Ok.

I would have to recommend Ponta Malongane. They have the whole range of accommodation options - I generally camp in my own tent, but they have their tents, a large communal tent or chalets. Very good facilities and much shorter boat trips to the reefs. You can read more in this month's Divestyle mag.

Their website is here.

I am not a fan of Ponto do Ouro. Nice to visit there from Malogane for the restaurant (if you want to pay big moola for prawns). But other than that, the place is a lot more noisy and crowded (at least when I went there).

Another spot that is apparently a must-dive (according to my Dad the best reefs he has ever dived - better than the Red Sea) is Guinjata Bay. I can't find a good link to an operator in Guinjata. The link provided is the best I could supply from a Google search. Hopefully some other SA members will chime in with a reputable operator's name.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi

Thanks a lot for the help. I will put them on my list of "places to see...and dive"...

The sucker

Yebo!
Moz is a lot easier to get to nowadays - the diving is tops - nice 4x4 trip to do is to enter Moz through Pafuri gate in the Kruger National Park, cross the Limpopo River at Mapai, head east, overland & bushcamp for about two nights until you reach the coast in the Massinga area (don't trust the map - I'll give you GPS coordinates) Dive Pomene, Morrongulu, Barra and Jangamo and spend a night in Maputo - the food & jazz is great. The South (Ponta's) and North (Vilanculo, islands & further) are two more trips. Phone me on +27 82 892 3306.

Reon Coetzee:
Yebo!
Moz is a lot easier to get to nowadays - the diving is tops - nice 4x4 trip to do is to enter Moz through Pafuri gate in the Kruger National Park, cross the Limpopo River at Mapai, head east, overland & bushcamp for about two nights until you reach the coast in the Massinga area (don't trust the map - I'll give you GPS coordinates) Dive Pomene, Morrongulu, Barra and Jangamo and spend a night in Maputo - the food & jazz is great. The South (Ponta's) and North (Vilanculo, islands & further) are two more trips. Phone me on +27 82 892 3306.

Hi Reon

You make me proud to belong to such an elite group of people. You know that is one thing, I dont think I have ever seen so many people wanting to help in any way on any subject. We are sure lucky to be divers.

There is ofcource another few options...

Fly from Cape Town to JHB and get a 4x4 and cilinders there??
Fly to Maputo and rent a 4x4 there and just get cilinders from a local dive charter??

What do you recomend?

I will phone you closer to the time and will get the GPS from you.

Victor

PS - I went to your website and it looks very impressive - I want to do some Shark cage diving some day and will give you a call...priority destination...Mozambique

Here's the link given in Divestyle for Guinjata Bay:

http://www.guinjata.com/

A bit of a no-brainer, mind you!

They offer a 5 dive package for R785 - even better than what we pay for a Shoal dive!

Any thoughts about taking a few Sodwana dives while you are on the East Coast? :huh:

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
Here's the link given in Divestyle for Guinjata Bay:

http://www.guinjata.com/

A bit of a no-brainer, mind you!

They offer a 5 dive package for R785 - even better than what we pay for a Shoal dive!

Any thoughts about taking a few Sodwana dives while you are on the East Coast? :huh:

Cheers,

Andrew

Bliksim!!! That sounds like it is too good to be true!!! I am sure that is including just your gear and a DM going with you. All ells is on you.

If I plan my trip correctly I will have about 2 weeks to play around with so I can always see if I can plan Sodwana into it. I will see how things and travel times work out otherwise I will plan Sodwana on its own for a next trip...

Thanks

Victor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom