Planning multi-level deco dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you have 2 bolt snaps, a cam band, a slide lock, and a piece of rope? No need for worm gears unless you want them for a more permanent solution.

Good point! I have all that except for a slide lock. Not sure what that is or why I would need it?

Any reason I couldn't use paracord (supposedly rated for 550#) for the rope part?

slide lock=triglide, what holds your d-rings to webbing. You put a slidelock on the cam band and put the line through the loop so it doesn't slide around since the cam band won't bend like a worm gear. Also keeps the line attached to the cam band so you can put it around on different bottles without having to measure where to put the cam band

slide lock=triglide, what holds your d-rings to webbing. You put a slidelock on the cam band and put the line through the loop so it doesn't slide around since the cam band won't bend like a worm gear. Also keeps the line attached to the cam band so you can put it around on different bottles without having to measure where to put the cam band

All is clear now. Thank you!

How far down the tank should the cam band go? The same distance as for rigging on a 40? That's my guess, since it would be clipping off to the same chest and waist D-rings as my 40 does.

rjack321 - Why be concerned about scaling up? Each dive is unique. I have no issue running non-optimum gasses if I already have them and they will meet my need. .

The OP wanted the dive to scale up.
EAN70 doesn't scale up to bigger dives.

How far down the tank should the cam band go? The same distance as for rigging on a 40? That's my guess, since it would be clipping off to the same chest and waist D-rings as my 40 does.

Copy your 40 rigging, an inch or two won't make any real difference, you can always play around a bit to get it just right. Paracord will be fine, its what I use on all my travel stages. Check out the Dive Rite travel stages online for a quick guide to setup.

Dont put a single strand paracord through the tri-glide and then knot around the boltsnap, it WILL come off. Make a loop, knot. Hitch through the bolt snap and pass the double strand through the triglide then snug off. The bolt will stop it from sliding back out and the knot won't be under stress.

Im sure the Youtube has some how-to's as well...

correct

Dont put a single strand paracord through the tri-glide and then knot around the boltsnap, it WILL come off. Make a loop, knot. Hitch through the bolt snap and pass the double strand through the triglide then snug off. The bolt will stop it from sliding back out and the knot won't be under stress.

Im sure the Youtube has some how-to's as well...

Got it. And yes, I've seen several pages on how to do it, plus video. Thank you.

And thank you!

I've been keeping an eye out to pick up a couple of AL80s. I guess it's time to get serious about that. And I guess I finally found a use for the two old cam bands I have laying around that I replaced with SP-style QR tank straps on my single tank rig. :)

i'm actually in hard core al80 acquisition mode right now, the 3 that I have are nowhere near enough for the dives that I'm doing which is sad. Sold a bunch of my steel tanks and am hunting down good deals now for 80's. Hoping to have around 10 of them when I'm done

The OP wanted the dive to scale up.
EAN70 doesn't scale up to bigger dives.

Strange thing is that I am looking at one of my logs (I only have 2 at work) for a 180' dive with 2 deco gasses, one being 75%. Seems that it does work and can work well. Just depends on the dive and the person. Almost any gas will get you out of the water, it is only a matter of how much time and how much CNS risk the diver wants! Personally I find 100% too risky and not necessary for ocean deco especially with my use of last stop at 20'. Maybe in the +200' dives it does not get you out of the water fast enough, but even in basic trimix, it is quite usable. We can disagree but it does get divers out of the water and many use 80% which is only a little bit more O2!

I also think the OP's gas selection is quite correct and would not cause any issues in completing the planned dive. Mixes are a personal choice.

what other deco gas did you use with EAN75? Is that just badly mixed 80%? lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom