Plastic DIN cap warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never seen anyone using plugs here either, and DIN-valves are the only ones around (we use inserts to convert the valves to yoke).

Can't really see the use for them. Transport your tanks with the valve orifice facing down and there's little chance of getting dirt or moisture in your valves. Store your tanks upright (and secured of course) and there's little chance of getting dirt in your valves in storage.

They're also used for impact protection (supposed to keep the DIN fitting from getting egg-shaped), and as gas-savers if you've got an expensive nitrox or trimix fill you don't want accidentally drained. People say "well don't knock your tanks over" and "don't bump the valves" - well I say "don't crash your car" and yet people still crash their car. Mishaps happen.

I use 'em to protect the valve openings ... I typically drive around with anywhere between 2 and 4 cylinders in my car at all times ... along with other gear that may or may not go bump if I have to stop suddenly. Nicks and dings are not conducive to excellent valve operation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob... the delrin won't keep the brass from deforming if it gets a good whack. Time to invest in some SS plugs if you are into tank banging.

Holly Crap, 7 stitches? That's a good sized boo boo. Hope everything heals up ok.

I've been lucky so far, I guess. I've only had a valve open once with plugs installed and all it did was partially blow out the RTV I had filled the string attachment hole with. I removed the string as I never leave the plugs attached to the tanks and just filled the resulting hole with some RTV. Guess I'll have to reconsider these kind of plugs.

Never heard about anyone ever having their valve openings and/or valve threads damaged by impact. And as I said, in Europe there aren't any other valves but DIN valves.

Valve knobs, now that's another story, but you can't protect those with a plug.

If you're so worried about the threads and the orifice, why not use yoke inserts to protect the orifice? Those can't blow out.

Only thing is: you can only use them for 200 (232) bar valves. But I don't know if you guys even have 300 bar tanks...

Metal plugs aren't cheap but the good ones are effective at protecting the threads from dings and dirt, helping preventing deformation of the outlets from hard hits and sealing the valves so no gas can accidentally leak.

Speaking from personal experience, the amount of gas that can be lost in the time it takes to pull over on the side of the road and run around to the back of the truck to shut the valve down will pay for the plugs and then some. Add in the cost of the lost dive and the plugs are a bargain. :wink:

Avoid the chromed brass variety. The plating tends to peel off under pressure. Stainless steel won't do that and is harder. One source I've used is http://www.cnsales.net/dinplugpage.htm

One way to keep using non-metalic plugs safely while keeping the dirt out is to drill a good size hole through the center of them and then cover the holes on the outside with tape. If you happen to have an accidental gas release, the tape will give way to the build-up of pressure with the added benefit of keeping the plug intact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom