Plastic second stage failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was unclear - i was referring to tighthening the host mount onto the housing. Since it is a sealing surface and has an o ring, removal and replacement of the metal hose mount will be part of normal service.
And to clarify - i am using the term "hose mount" when maybe I should be using "orifice" as per AMS511 post above?

And to clarify - i am using the term "hose mount" when maybe I should be using "orifice" as per AMS511 post above?

I believe AL / USD calls it an inlet fitting. I looked at the schematic of the Conshelf XIV, it appears to be identical to the SE-2 diagram. I suspect that A.L. just changed the case from metal to plastic and did not redesign the components. I looked at the schematic for a newer model Titan and it is redesigned so it should not become separated.

There is an interesting article in the Spring 2017 issue of Alert Diver Magazine: A Free-Flowing Failure

The plastic housing of the second stage failed and caused a freeflow. It isn't clear to me if the plastic housing was exposed to full IP pressure or not. Does anyone know what regulator this is?

Here is a related article that shows how long it takes for various failures to empty a single 80 that appeared in Advanced Diver Magazine:
Life Ending Seconds, 3000 to Zero in 72 Seconds

View attachment 417605
Those numbers for burst disc failure are terrifying. I know they're supposed to be replaced at a certain service interval, but the idea that one could prematurely fail and empty a tank in a minute is enough to make me always want a completely redundant backup.

It's extremely unlikely that a burst disc would fail at depth. It's much more likely (still VERY rare) that it would fail either during filling, or when the tank is completely filled and hot.

Back
Top Bottom