Playa del Carmen - August 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcornell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Headed to Playa del Carmen in August for our first visit. Going to plan on getting some dives in while there.

Anyone here have any experience with Mexico Blue Dream dive shop in Playa? They are very close to the condo we are staying in.

Any other tips, tricks, operators are appreciated.

Thanks.

Cool for you. We will be back in June. I have never used Mexico Blue. I have used Geofish and Phantom Divers. I prefer Geofish. If you have time - go down to Akumal as well. Great snorkeling there and it is about a 30 minute cab ride form Playa. We love Playa so much we bought a condo there last year. Look at the Geofish website - they have a very good interactive dive map.

I've always used Jason at Fantasea Dive. His shop is at Calle 2 and the beach. Can't comment on any other shops cause haven't ever used them!

My one recommendation to you would be - do not miss getting into a Cenote. Diablo Divers has a great reputation as do a couple other shops who will take you into the Cenotes. I have become such a fan of the cenotes one of my dive goals is to spend a week there getting my cave or cavern cert. I've done Dos Ojos, Temple of Doom, Grand Cenote and El Eden. Each different and beautiful. I heard folks here wax poetic about how "once you do one you'll be hooked" and didn't believe them. I do now!

My best "tip" would be for you to buy the PDC and Riviera Maya maps from Cancun information I promise you that it will be the best money you spend on your trip.

Personally I would stay away from Phantom Divers. They are a shop that does a shark feeding dive off PDC. Just seems to me that it is a bad idea for the local bull sharks to associate divers with food.

I am sorry I have never used Mexico Blue Dream dive, I have been using The Abyss dive shop and they are great. I will be down in August or September and plan to use Jason at Fantasea Dive this year, I hear really good things about him and I want to find out for myself.

My best "tip" would be for you to buy the PDC and Riviera Maya maps from Cancun information I promise you that it will be the best money you spend on your trip.

Personally I would stay away from Phantom Divers. They are a shop that does a shark feeding dive off PDC. Just seems to me that it is a bad idea for the local bull sharks to associate divers with food.

Agree.

Awesome looking maps... unfortunately out of stock until May sometime. :( They should be instock in plenty of time for us to get them though.

Thanks.

I promise you will be very happy with them. They are much more than just maps. Really good listings of restaurants, services, attractions and most importantly the associated websites. We have been using them for 10 years and always get the latest edition before we start planning our trip.

I would recommend you dive with Phocea Mexico, a very proffesional and organized dive shop, located few blocks from where you will be staying. Enjoy your stay in Riviera Maya.

Hi my name is Jamie and i work for a dive shop in playa called ecodiving tours we are only a few blocks from blue dreams and can offer great flexible packages at a good discount for booking early.
Check our webpage for some ideas the videos are great. Home-Ecodivingtours

Anyway back to advise, the diving: depending on your expirence level and what not you might want to do a refresher in the pool and some shallow dives in Playa to get you in thew swing of things. There is lots to choose from if you would like to see turtels we have a site called Tortugas or there is a small shipwreck called Mama vina. Then there is Cozumel one of the worlds top dive sites or Puerto Morelos that has probably the best shipwreck in the area. Then ofcourse are the famous Cenotes each one unique. A popular on is Dos Ojos meaning the two eyes or there are many others.
Also at that time of year the whale sharks are visiting and we run amazing snorkel trips to see these huge and brilliant creatures.

I wish you the best of luck with your holiday whom ever you choose to go with.
Just enjoy this beautiful part of the world.
Jamie at Ecodiving tours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom