Playa Del Carmen conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glcoley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have made several trips to Playa and usually dive with Geofish, but have not had any response from them on my recent inqueries.
I was advised today that Geofish has been sold and the dive conditions in Playa have gone bad...due to a beach sand restoration project that ended up covering the local reefs with sand and pretty much killing them.
I was shocked to hear this and find it hard to beleive, can anyone tell me if that is the case, what it is really like?
My wife/dive buddy and I were planning to dive there again for a week.

I can confirm the sell of Geofish / i e-mailed back and forth with the new owner just last week - the Brothers sold due to needing to get back to U S A and their father. I had not heard nor was it mentioned regarding the dive conditions, I will be very curious to read others posts regarding the conditions as I am in Playa for a week in December.

Depending on who you liked at GeoFish - I know Thomas(DM) is at Dive Balam / Marco was fired but I don't know where he ended up ... new Owner hired new personnel and has assured me of new "safety" procedures

I was there in Feb and there wasn't anything going on with the reef that I saw. I used Dive Mexico while I was down there and cant say enough good things about them. It's a small shop with very nice people. They also do trips to the Cenotes which I loved.

thanks for the feedback...how anyone would fire Marco is beyone me...most "safe and attentive" DM I have known. If anyone knows where he ended up, I'd love to know

I can tell you the current dive conditions are great! Its flat seas, light onshore breeze, clear blue sky, with a light current and 70-80ft viz in 60ftsw. Send a PM if you have further questions about the conditions. I am diving everyday here and trust me condions are great and the sand from the beach restoration has not affected any of the reefs here. Check out our website for more info on dive sites and current dive conditions here: www.fantaseadive.com

Back
Top Bottom