Playa Dive Shop Dive Mike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LGF

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have experience diving with Dive Mike in Playa Del Carmen? I am going to Playa next month and Dive Mike looks to be the closest shop to my hotel.

I will be there Jan 7th - 14th... The name is actually Larry ;-)

I will be there Jan 7th - 14th... The name is actually Larry ;-)

Those were the dates that I wanted but Hotel Playa Maya was booked solid.

I would look at these two....

www.fantaseadive.com and Jason....

or

Yucatek Divers, Playa del Carmen

I have heard good things about both of these. Jason takes smaller groups and lots of personnel attention but he is not good in returning emails...

Hi Larry, We used to book exclusively with Dive Mike for our yearly trip to the Yucatan and always had a great time. Very safe and great service provided. Last year (2007) we had a group of 7 that booked a cavern certification through them and had a good time again but they were going through another ownership transition (back to Mike). The shop seemed a bit disorganized and the service wasnt as personal as we've experienced in the past, but it may have been that transition period and those issues could be ironed out by now. That was over a year ago so I'm not sure who is running the shop at this time. Hopefully you'll get an answer from someone that has more recent information - I would be interested to hear as well.

Playa Maya? Very good hotel. Steve is great. Are you staying at Playa Maya or did you have to go somewhere else?

Too bad you get there after I leave, I am going to need a dive buddy.

I have heard good things about fantasea dive but they are by the pier and I don't want to schlep my equip that far every morning. Where is Yucatec divers located?

Edit: Never mind...I looked at their website. There pretty far too. My hotel is on Calle 8.

I was told in email from Yucatec that they will pick me up at the hotel and they will store my gear, will clean it and have a secure place to hang it up and let dry. That make them tempting.

No I got the Playa Maya for 8 days and be staying next door to them for the first two days. I think they have the best coconut shrimp in Playa and I don't even like coconut. Have you ever visited playa.info forums - great place for info and meet people.

I was told in email from Yucatec that they will pick me up at the hotel and they will store my gear, will clean it and have a secure place to hang it up and let dry. That make them tempting.

No I got the Playa Maya for 8 days and be staying next door to them for the first two days. I think they have the best coconut shrimp in Playa and I don't even like coconut. Have you ever visited playa.info forums - great place for info and meet people.

Playa Maya Rules! I have stayed with them 3 times. Steve Ryberg is a great host. Too bad he moved back to the states. Your correct on the Coconut shrimp too, it's to die for. Actually I have been a member of of Playa.info for a few years. My handle is beer_dude. I don't get to post much any more, mostly a lurker now. Work keeps getting in the way.

Does anyone have experience diving with Dive Mike in Playa Del Carmen? I am going to Playa next month and Dive Mike looks to be the closest shop to my hotel.

I have used DiveMiKe a few times and would use them again. Mike and his staff were great. I was unable to use them last March, but, I did stop in and talked to the lady manning the store. She said Mike had recently taken back ownership of the store and trying to get it back into the condition he left it in.

If email doesn't work, call. Some of my email was not working to shops in Mexico last year, even after an initial contact.

Anyway, I would KISS. Keep it simple. If DiveMike is close and fit your budget, go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom