Playa, new diver, what gear to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgahagan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New diver, got certed jun-08. Done some lake dives, but this will be my first blue water dive. Going to Playa for 7 days.:D Hope to do a few dives while I'm there. I own my own Reg, Air-integrated BC, dive computer, compass, and mask/fins/snorkel. Looking for suggestions on what I should consider taking with me vs. leaving at home given airline baggage prices and such? I'm questioning taking the BC but with the Air2, I'll have hose compatibility problems with a standard BC and not Octo. I can always throw an Octo and standard inflator hose on my reg, just looking for advice.

Regs: ScubaPro MK17/X650
BC: Knighthawk w/ Air2
Computer: Uwatec SmartTec Hoseless Air Integrated

We're staying at the Royal Playa resort (it was so cheap), so I've done some searching and found a few dive ops that continue to get recommended, but any information anyone can provide would be appreciated. There are four divers in my party, all new, so we'd prefer a dive op that is patient with new divers and keep safety as the priority.

Thanks

I spent a week down there in February and took all my own gear. I figured I have it, I trust it and why not. Most airlines allow 2 checked bags for international flights so that shouldn't cost you any extra. The obvious hassle with carrying the extra bags might be a slight pain, but I still think it's worth the effort.

As far as dive ops...I went with Jason at Fantasea dive. Jason is a very dedicated and professional dive master. He tailored all of our dives to the group and experience level. I did 2 PDC trips (4 dives), 1 Coz trip (2 dives) and he arranged for a Cenote trip (2 dives) also. Can't say enough good things about his operations.

Jim

I use Abyss in Playa, across the street from the Blue Parrot. Always had good experiences with Dave's group diving both ocean and cenotes. Jason is also very good at Fantasea, can't go wrong either way. Stayed at the Royal in February, very nice. I think Abyss is a bit closer to your hotel than Jason, either way two good choices.

Regardless of what you decide to take with you, it will be cheaper taking it then renting it. American charges $15 per bag (if you are not Gold or higher), net $30 round trip. You'd spend that in a day renting the whole set up. Good news is if you decide not to take it with you, you will be able to rent it in Playa.

Great Advise from you both. Equipment rental runs about 15 usd per day so if you times that by 6 days of diving it is better to bring your gear.

The Abyss currently has a 10% off special for diving and if you do a package with them you will continue to get significant discounts. They are located on 1st Ave between 10th and 12th street and are open from 8 30 am to 5 pm. You can email in advance and book your diving online or call Dave when you arrive to book a dive. info@abyssdivecenter.com 984 873 2164

and remember the Saturday Night BBQ is this saturday at 6 pm and is hosted by Abyss, Protec and tank Ha so you are in good diving company.

Flying Continental, so I get two checked bags free, plus a carry on and one personal item carry on. Taking the gear shouldn't be any expense.

For those wondering, checked bags must be less than 50lbs and less than 62 linear inches (l+w+h), carry on must be less than 40lbs and less than 45 linear inches. Mexico is considered an international flight on Continental.

Once I bought my own stuff I take it everywhere now when I dive. I feel it's important to get very comfortable with your gear underwater and the way to do that is to dive it - besides, you paid for it so why not! Lugging one extra bag along isn't a big deal! Besides, then you know where everything is and how it was maintained. Also gives you the ability to have the computer log your dives for you and download once you get home! I use an older suitcase that was gonna get retired anyway so it doesn't attract attention like some scuba specific bags can.

As for who to dive with, there are a number of ops w/ good reputations, however, the only one I've been in the ocean with in Playa is Jason (Playacountryboy on the boards) of Fantaseadive.com. As others have said, great personal service, small groups, very accommodating. When are you going to be there? I'm going down with my wife and a couple friends from 6/4 - 8 and diving Coz, Playa and one day of Cenotes w/ Jason. Can't wait!! Couldn't pass up the cheap hotel rates and flight since NO ONE was going there because of the flu scare!

Here, here, I've pretty much decided to take all my stuff.

We'll be there 6/2-9. :eyebrow:

I hear ya on the cheap rates. Can't be beat right now. Cheap flights, cheap rooms, and discounted diving. What's not to like about that?

As far as bags go, that's why I've liked the Akona bags, then don't scream dive gear and have held up well for me.

Once I bought my own stuff I take it everywhere now when I dive. I feel it's important to get very comfortable with your gear underwater and the way to do that is to dive it - besides, you paid for it so why not! Lugging one extra bag along isn't a big deal! Besides, then you know where everything is and how it was maintained. Also gives you the ability to have the computer log your dives for you and download once you get home! I use an older suitcase that was gonna get retired anyway so it doesn't attract attention like some scuba specific bags can.

As for who to dive with, there are a number of ops w/ good reputations, however, the only one I've been in the ocean with in Playa is Jason (Playacountryboy on the boards) of Fantaseadive.com. As others have said, great personal service, small groups, very accommodating. When are you going to be there? I'm going down with my wife and a couple friends from 6/4 - 8 and diving Coz, Playa and one day of Cenotes w/ Jason. Can't wait!! Couldn't pass up the cheap hotel rates and flight since NO ONE was going there because of the flu scare!

Maybe we'll run into each other. We're staying at Hotel Aventura Mexicana on Calle 24 and Av 10, diving 5th - 7th with Jason.

Thanks for the tip on the Akona bags, my old suitcase was ready to be retired anyway and they last few trips have made it really ragged - especially the zipper! I may need some new luggage soon!!

And remember the Divers BBq every Saturday night. Great place to hang out and see what other people are doing. 100 pesos for all you can eat (8.50 usd) and sometimes Protec does a slide show of dive pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom