Playacar Scuba advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Playacar is the name of the resort/hotel/condo area just on the south edge of Playa del Carmen. Dennis Weeks' operation is in Puerto Aventuras, which is about 20 minutes south of there. I do not know if they have any kind of pickup arrangement for Playa del Carmen. However, if you are going to be there for two weeks, I think you will want to have a car, so that you can explore the area, so that may not be an issue. Dennis is a great guy and I suspect he's a very good instructor.

I've had significant problems from time to time getting e-mails to and from Mexico, so if you haven't heard anything back from Dennis, try e-mailing again, or PMing him from ScubaBoard.

Cheeky, given that you are coming from as far away as you are, I would STRONGLY recommend you make your arrangements ahead of time. It would be worth a phone call or two. You don't wnat to get down there and find everybody's booked doing guided cenote dives or charters, and nobody's available to teach a class.

You will need to own your own mask, snorkel and fins for class. You can certainly purchase those at a dive shop at home. You will probably have a wider selection than you will in MX, at least from what I've seen of the dive shops in PDC. (Cozumel has more.)

Visibility on the mainland side is not as good as the viz in Cozumel, generally, and may run 30 to 40 feet (or less if the winds are high and the water is rough). You don't have the huge reef structures, but there is a good variety of reef fish. Although it is frequently done, I do NOT recommend the cenotes for brand new divers. For one thing, they really should be respected, and that means excellent buoyancy control and good trim. For another, until you have dived enough to know how you react when something isn't quite right, I don't think you should take the chance of finding out when you are under a hard overhead.

Have a wonderful time -- there are some VERY good restaurants in PDC, if you get tired of all-inclusive food (I did!)

Edited to add: Another recommendation is for the Can Do maps. They are superb resources for navigation and for locating a variety of businesses, especially restaurants.

Conditions should be good at the end of November. This is the dry season. The viz will be ok aswell. As there is less freshwater from the mainland flowing into the sea the viz will increase.

When selecting a diveshop/instructor make contact in advance and select two. Than go and talk to the people you intend to go diving with (i mean talk to the divemaster himself) see if this clicks.

My grilfriend did her Advanced Open Water, in PDC with fantasea divers (ask for Jason).
This is smaller operation and has more personal attention than some of the bigger operators that employ groupsizes of 8 and more.

But anyway on you first day in PDC take a cab (should cost you around 50 pesos) to the center of PDC and really talk to the person you will go diving with. This will make your experience.

TsandM and Wierts, thank you both for the advice - most appreciated!

I have already PM'd Dennis on this board, but still not heard back! However I have noe received a response from 'always Diving' and 'Phantom Divers'. Both seem very friendly.

The prices seem to differ quite a bit, i.e. always have quoted 435usd but phanton 370usd. Do prices often vary this much?

I will also send Fantasea an email and see what they say.

Also, has anyone done, or know much about the PADI e-learning you can do? This looks like a good idea I guess. Does anyone know how long it would take to complete etc?

thanks again for all the help!

cheers!

Last edited:
e-learning i have not done. However i think it will be an advantage to come prepared. You will have to pass a test to complete the Open Water course.

Prices will vary with group size i think. The lager the group the less attention you will get.
This is something else you might want to consider.

Have fun in Mexico

As first time-divers, my wife and I were turned toward Aquanauts and away from another LDS by a local we trusted. We had a great time. We had our OW cert, but this was our first ocean dive. Aquanauts is a small shop in PA but the people and experience are great. We liked the atmosphere of the shop as soon as we walked in , as it reminded us of our LDS in Virginina. After takling to Dennis and john, we realized we would be safe in their hands. Our first dive was a drift dive with John and it was just the 3 of us. He was a great guide and made sure we were comfrotable with everything we were doing. We talked about out the diffrences between PADI and NAUI (we are Naui, the shop is Padi) and we made sure we were on the same page. We would go back to them in a heartbeat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom