Please don't take this wrong...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As a former member of the military (20 yrs navy) and an occasionally active reserve I am wondering what's the point of this club? Do military divers have special needs or considerations that civvies should be exempt from?
I am proud of my service and I am grateful for the service men/women who are putting their butts on the line right now, I just don't see the need for a special military divers group. Most of my dive buddys (not all) are civvies.

The point of this club is to not exclude civies, merely to network divers who are in the military (regardless of country or service). Due to our frequent PCS (Permanent Change of Station) moves a forum to network divers together allows us to hit the water faster than having to physically look for new dive buddies. We are not trying to be exclusive of only active military, anyone who serves, has served in any capacity in the service, or supports the military should feel welcome to join or start a discussion. Personally, I would be more comfortable diving with someone who has had the discipline that military service provides over someone that I don't know anything about. Just a thought.

2Tours N Iraq`:
The point of this club is to not exclude civies, merely to network divers who are in the military (regardless of country or service). Due to our frequent PCS (Permanent Change of Station) moves a forum to network divers together allows us to hit the water faster than having to physically look for new dive buddies. We are not trying to be exclusive of only active military, anyone who serves, has served in any capacity in the service, or supports the military should feel welcome to join or start a discussion. Personally, I would be more comfortable diving with someone who has had the discipline that military service provides over someone that I don't know anything about. Just a thought.

What he said!

Personally....I think it should have been called...Divers in the Military....as the current name makes me think it is only for those who's job in the service was as a diver.
Just my 2 cents.
rich

:happywave Hi Firebrand, thought I'd come take a look here after you invited me to. I am a big supporter of the Armed Forces and all they do for us.

Nice thing you got going here! Seems like a cool idea for all you military members to keep in touch and for others to learn more about what you are doing. Me, I always wanted to be a Navy Seal. Navy Seals.com did an article on me a few months ago too. I have been through many health-related battles in my life.

Any of you know who Whitey Mack is? He is an ex-submarine captain for the Navy and a good friend of my family. A part of he book 'Blind Man's Bluff' was written about what he did.

Hope to be underwater with you all soon. For all you soldiers overseas, stay safe. Take care and as always, safe diving!

Matt :usa:

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

RICHinNC:
Personally....I think it should have been called...Divers in the Military....as the current name makes me think it is only for those who's job in the service was as a diver.
Just my 2 cents.
rich
I can make it whatever you guys want. If y'all would like it changed to "Divers in the Military" - or "MilVet Divers" or some such I'll be happy to do that - if there's a strong enough consensus.
Squeaky wheel and all that rot, eh?
S

How about "Divers in the Military past and present"?

I think there is a need for this forum (whatever it is to be called). With the High mobility of Service members, and many of the locations Service members go to along with safety regulations unique to the military there are a myriad of dive related issues unique to our military community. Additionally, there are MWR and AAFES vendors that offer travel, classes, and retail outlets that cater specifically to the military that aren't available to there civilian counterparts.

Thanks for all you men and women do.

Knees in the breeze boys.

As an active duty guy who dives recreationally, I would rather see it as "Divers in the military". I do not dive as a job - only on my off time - and suspect that there are more of us military types who dive for fun than for work. Just my 2 yen...

Back
Top Bottom