Please help me explain my Cyklon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wes_wall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an older Cyklon...about 1976 vintage as best as I can tell. I was trying to explain to someone the other day why the Cyklon breathes exactly the same if you are upside down, right side up or inside out for that matter whereas a conventional designed regulator breathes a little hard when the exhaust port is higher than the inhalation diaphragm.
Frankly, I lost out in the explanation as the other person has multiple regulator repair certifications and I have none. I know it to be so though, and this person is not a Poseidon person, and as far as I know has never dove one.
I know the pressure differentials have something to do with it, as does the concentric inhalation and exhaust diaphragms. Other than that, please help me explain.

I have an older Cyklon...about 1976 vintage as best as I can tell. I was trying to explain to someone the other day why the Cyklon breathes exactly the same if you are upside down, right side up or inside out for that matter whereas a conventional designed regulator breathes a little hard when the exhaust port is higher than the inhalation diaphragm.
Frankly, I lost out in the explanation as the other person has multiple regulator repair certifications and I have none. I know it to be so though, and this person is not a Poseidon person, and as far as I know has never dove one.
I know the pressure differentials have something to do with it, as does the concentric inhalation and exhaust diaphragms. Other than that, please help me explain.

Its all in the 2nd stage and orientation of the diaphragm to the mouthpiece. Conventional 2nd stages have the diaphragm in front of the mouth piece so in a normal swimming horizontal position it is below the mouth piece and breathing will be a bit easier. If you turn over the mouth piece is now below the diaphragm and breathing is a bit harder. As the Cyclon has the diaphragm on the side, you would need to roll onto your side to get it above or below the mouth piece.

Try a double hose regulator to see just how much diaphragm to mouth piece position will change the work of breathing.

Try a double hose regulator to see just how much diaphragm to mouth piece position will change the work of breathing.

Another idea to demonstrate how much those couple of centemetres of difference in pressure on the diaphragm vs. the mouthpiece can make, then get him to make a dive in one of those crappy first generation neptune FFM's. If you're laying horizontal and tuck your chin in then they freeflow. If you roll over on your back then it's like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

Incidentally, even with a normal 2nd stage you can easily observe the difference pressure makes. If it's tuned right, if you take it out of your mouth and point the mouthpiece up then it will start to freeflow. If you then turn the mouthpiece down it will stop. What's causing that is the couple of cm of pressure difference.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom