Please share your experiences, Fiji, Tahiti, Bora Bora...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at the Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji last Nov. Beqa Lagoon Resort I not only had a fantastic diving experience but a great cultural experience as well. They have very reasonable air/bure/diving packages but you can get just the bure/diving package in the event you don't require airfare. They are very efficiently run with activities and entertainment in the afternoon and evenings, free of charge. I highly recommend you go here for your Fiji experience. Oh and BTW, the food is "very" good. BULA!

Can't speak for the other areas, but I did one dive in Moorea (French Polynesia, a short ferry ride from Tahiti) last year and it was great! The main attraction were the dozen or so black tip sharks swimming around at any given time. The island itself is probably the most beautiful I've ever visited, but everything is very expensive!

Tahiti was nice, Bora Bora is spectacularly beautiful, but by far my favorite place I've been to in my life is Rangiroa. We stayed at the Kia Ora, which I highly recommend; in Bora Bora we stayed at the Le Moana Intercontinental which I would not recommend - it's beautiful but not very friendly; we had much better luck at the sister resort Thalasso. As far as diving goes, we really liked TopDive in Bora Bora but hated them in Rangiroa. They're unfriendly and very haphazard in their diving. I would go with the much better Blue Dolphin dive shop on the Kia Ora property.

In Fiji I stayed at the Jean-Michel Cousteau resort and it was absolutely fantastic. Great diving, nice people, amazing resort.

All in all, the people are much, much friendlier in Fiji than French Polynesia.

If you were blown away by Rangiroa you should of gone to Fakarava....that blew Rangiroa away....I dove with Top dive also in Rangiora I think there names were Pasqual and Marina....They were great....must of changed...sorry to hear the dive op was not that great.

Tahiti was nice, Bora Bora is spectacularly beautiful, but by far my favorite place I've been to in my life is Rangiroa. We stayed at the Kia Ora, which I highly recommend; in Bora Bora we stayed at the Le Moana Intercontinental which I would not recommend - it's beautiful but not very friendly; we had much better luck at the sister resort Thalasso. As far as diving goes, we really liked TopDive in Bora Bora but hated them in Rangiroa. They're unfriendly and very haphazard in their diving. I would go with the much better Blue Dolphin dive shop on the Kia Ora property.

In Fiji I stayed at the Jean-Michel Cousteau resort and it was absolutely fantastic. Great diving, nice people, amazing resort.

All in all, the people are much, much friendlier in Fiji than French Polynesia.

Marina was one of the folks who ran the TopDive Rangiroa shop and we found her to be quite snotty and off-putting, plus they just expect that you'll take their word on what's in their nitrox tanks ... you show up in the morning and there're little bits of tape attached to each tank with the O2 content written. Call me paranoid, but I'll test my own, thank you (and by the way, my wife and I were the only ones who tested our tanks). After talking with Jun (the woman who owns Blue Dolphin dive shop in Rangiroa) we really wish we would have gone with BD instead.

Fakarava's definitely on the short list!

Marina was one of the folks who ran the TopDive Rangiroa shop and we found her to be quite snotty and off-putting, plus they just expect that you'll take their word on what's in their nitrox tanks ... you show up in the morning and there're little bits of tape attached to each tank with the O2 content written. Call me paranoid, but I'll test my own, thank you (and by the way, my wife and I were the only ones who tested our tanks). After talking with Jun (the woman who owns Blue Dolphin dive shop in Rangiroa) we really wish we would have gone with BD instead.

Fakarava's definitely on the short list!

I'm sorry to hear about Marina....That Scuba pro Mask she wear was a tip from me!....I found her and Pasquel to be great...and yes they always had an issue with there nitrox guage...thus I bought my own after that experience....Matias in Fakarava was the snotty one to me....really sorry to hear about your experience....I'm in Layang Layang now...time for another dive!

I agree with Jim Kerr, our group of 4 was at Beqa Lagoon Resort in Jul 2007 and had a fantastic time. The diving was excellent, the resort was very nice, and the staff (dive and resort) were great. I read a lot of negative comments regarding the quality of diving in Beqa Lagoon as being substandard to the rest of Fiji, but we did 9 days of diving and every dive was a delight. Click on my "view gallery" link to see some of my Fiji pics. The thumbnails with the red "x's" can be seen by clicking on them. We were so impressed with the diving and the resort that we are already planning to return in 2009.

Regards,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom