Please stop feeding the sharks at half moon caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess sharks and bears are different that way, huh.

Hank, you got it. See you soon.

I agree with this... I've been diving at Halfmoon every year for the past 6 years and I've never seen, or heard of anyone feeding them. I have had numerous sharks show great interest in my strobes... In fact one of them has the cutest little bite marks in the rubber ring around the end. I agree that the recycling "whine" attracts and annoys them. I also think that my Ikelite stobes on long black arms resemble speared lionfish...

I now carry Micro-mesh for buffing shark-nose scuffs outta my acrylic dome... :wink:

No strobes, I shoot video and the video lights were not on.

Well, I have to admit that I told my shark buddies you were coming. But they weren't supposed to hurt you, only scare you a bit. :wink:

The feeding of ANY marine animal by hand is outlawed. Florida has 11 fatal shark attacks from 1936 to 2010. Shark attacks are also considered rare in Florida.

The current laws are in place are not to protect people, it is about conservation.

Again, if one lives in fear of marine life, then dont expose ones self to the marine enviroment.

Besides, what do Florida laws have to do with the laws of Belieze. If you don't like the laws of another country then don't visit. The world is covered in water, there are pleanty of other places to dive.

Again, if one lives in fear of marine life, then dont expose ones self to the marine enviroment.

Overstatement always weakens a position, and you've compounded your error by repeating it. There is zero evidence that anyone who has posted in this thread "lives in fear of marine life." It is patently obvious that on an internet scuba diving board, the members like to kick it in a marine environment.

Overstatement always weakens a position, and you've compounded your error by repeating it. There is zero evidence that anyone who has posted in this thread "lives in fear of marine life." It is patently obvious that on an internet scuba diving board, the members like to kick it in a marine environment.

It’s nice to know these boards have an authoritarian on overstatement. I will take that into consideration the next time I post.

When some are "kicking it" they feel the need to voice certain opinions or emotions about sea life encounters, some good and some bad. If someone posts a negative comment about the closeness of sea life or being attacked, this can be construed, perceived or actually be fear. Believe it or not someone does not actually have to specifically say they are in fear to be fearful of something.

I do appreciate your attempt at the mini lecture though.

Troy G I'm sorry you are fearful. Perhaps you should quit feeding the sharks in Belize? You are making Mike nervous and RayAllyn is bringing in studies from Florida to support the no feeding contention.

Troy G I'm sorry you are fearful. Perhaps you should quit feeding the sharks in Belize? You are making Mike nervous and RayAllyn is bringing in studies from Florida to support the no feeding contention.

Chilly...you ROCK!!! I wish I had fear rather than this darned level head. Maybe I could better understand where some are coming from. Sharks know what food is and what isn’t. They also don’t go where the food isn’t. Other than that, they are just curious. I would bet that sharks don’t even like the taste of fatty humans considering they typically take only one bite that is rarely fatal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom