Please Tell me That This is a Joke ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, I have finally decided to go ahead and say something in this string,
you say we are talking about $800 fins, well I say we are talking about $149 fins, at least that is what Scuba.com is selling the original ForceFin for. That is the fin comparable in performance to the Quattros and Jets. That is the Chevy of the line, it does everything that you would ever need and does it so well that guys like me and many others who own the more expensive fins keep going back to the basic Originals or Pros, cause its just so easy and carefree to use.

When someone is talking about the Extra Force TanDelta or the Excellerating Force TanDelta we are talking about the same kind of person that would buy the Porsche 911 GT2, or Ferrari F430, or Bugati Veyron, its not because he will ever actually NEED it, but because he wants it and the capabilities that it gives him.

When people ask me about my FF's I will gladly explain to them why I dive them, and often offer them a chance to use them, but I never try to sell a pair of $800 fins to anyone, until they ask for it, and even then I try to convince them to buy a basic model then upgrade IF they decide they really like them. If you want a good fin, the Quattros, Jets, Bio-Fin and the Original or Pro FF are all great fins, in that they all work, and work well. If you look at the Rodales Scuba Diving review, you'll see every fin they tested met the "Good Enough" criteria, saying they are all good enough to get the job done, just that some were better than others.

and for the TanDelta material is a specially formulated proprietary Urethane that was tailored to Bob's requirements, it really is fantastic, not to mention looks incredible.
meesier42, I'm certainly not going to tell folks how to spend their money, but seriously...like you pointed out, with all the great traditional fins out there......do we really need an $800.00 fin? I certainly can see and if I had the money, be able to justify an F430 Ferrari, But not $800.00 fins. The thread started about the $800.00 fin, so we are most certainly talking about an OVERPRICED fin directed toward a group in our sector that has money to spend....errrr burn, errrr waste? $145.00 force fins, great, alot of folks love them...however since we are on the subject, I would be more than willing to try the force fins, but as I'm standing here I can say that after my 533 logged dives to date, I have maybe seen 1-2 pairs of force fins...EVER, must not be that great or the revolution would have started years ago....lastly Quattros are not Chevys, A $800.00 fin is more like building a 400,000 dollar home in a Trailer park.....OVERKILL, but to each his own

This thread is getting a tad sad. I took the early posts to be mostly in good jest and humor, more just kind of a "OMG that expensive" reaction. But it has become more serious as it has gone on. What it comes down too is who cares? It is just reverse snobbery to care if someone else spends a lot on something that we, personally, don't think is needed. Some people like overkill, now if someone buys a pair of these fins, then writes in BIG letters how much they cost, well Mr. Evans should come by and take the fins from them, after slapping them with a very large fish. Pretentiousness comes in many forms, and many price tags.

There are many people who swear by FF, and many who swear at them. Its just a difference in style and taste, which is great. Just like almost everything else, one size does not fit all. Personally I like FF, but I have always liked fins that were a tad different. It might be that I just don't want to follow the crowd, or more likely I have a strange kicking style. No make that I just want to be an iconoclast. But heck thats part of, to me, being a dork diver is all about. My goal now, is to learn how to always swim backwards, so I can truly be DIR (Dork In Reverse)

Though really I am not sure a Buggati Veyron is overkill, its more like the nuclear option of cars....

Yeah, I didn't buy mine until they ran a 10% off sale.

Well, I got lured into the discussion because I think a fin with this type of price tag is just ridiculous, top of the line regulators and BCs cost less. Is it the force fin that has caused such a reaction in me? .....no, not really, wear force fins if you want, they're not for me, the problem for me is, there simply has not been any new cutting edge technology in the sport of scuba diving in sometime that really catches my eye, and this new fin, it's expensive price tag and "new materials" offers little...as far as i'm concerned to the average joe blow diver like me, maybe some extra deep, rebreather, equipment junkie might find them useful, lastly and more important to me.....folks who usually get on the dive boats I dive from, the ones that are gear junkies and $800.00 fin fans, well.... usually they cannot back it up with their diving, they have gear rolling around all over the place and are usually into gear to oneup someone. Cheers

More power to them. If they can manufacture a product, I welcome them to sell it for whatever price the market will bear. That is the beauty of a market economy, you can get whatever you want if you have the cash.

I have a handmade backpacking chair that I paid $100 for bucause is weighes a few ounces less than a $20 chair.

As Yakof Smirnoff would say "What a Country!"

Wow, what an interesting discussion. It tells me that I need to videotape our next tan delta production. When you see how these are made, you'll think I'm crazy for not charging more. In the meantime, join us on March 15th in Weeki Wachee, I will be the guest of Hal Watts and Net Doc who has arranged with ScubaNews and Scuba Radio to give the Excellerating Force Fin and many other models a try. We'll have fun.

Actually a video would be a great idea. Thanks for the reply Doc.

U. S. A. #1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom