Please who has a set of Arthur C Clarke's diving books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
Arthur C. Clarke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While Arthur C Clarke lived in Ceylon (now called Sri Lanka), he wrote some books about his scuba diving experiences there.

One of those books (I remember it from reading those books long ago) said that while diving on a sunken "floating dock" in Elphinstone Inlet on Ceylon, he saw a giant grouper over 20 feet long, and about 4 feet wide side to side.

Please?:
* Which book was it (title, author, publisher, ISBN number), and which page?
* Is there any chance that one of you could quote the text about that grouper encounter?
* What is Elphinstone Inlet called now? Whereabouts on Sri Lanka is it?

The book's name is The Deep Range and the grouper appears at the end of the 3rd chapter:

They were now skirting the edge of a huge green-clad mushroom of coral, and Franklin peered into the shadows beneath it. There were a few large boulders there, and a pair of elegant angelfish which almost disappeared when they turned edge on to him. But he could see nothing else to justify Burley's interest.
It was very unsettling when one of the boulders began to move, fortunately not in his direction. The biggest fish he had ever seen-it was almost as long as the torpedo, and very much fatter-was staring at him with great bulbous eyes. Suddenly it opened its mouth in a menacing yawn, and Franklin felt like Jonah at the big moment of his career. He had a glimpse of huge, blubbery lips enclosing surprisingly tiny teeth; then the great jaws snapped shut again and he could almost feel the rush of displaced water.
Don seemed delighted at the encounter, which had obviously brought back memories of his own days as a trainee here.
"Well, it's nice to see old Slobberchops again! Isn't he a beauty? Seven hundred and fifty pounds if he's an ounce. We've been able to identify him on photos taken as far back as eighty years ago, and he wasn't much smaller then. It's a wonder he escaped the spear fishers before this area was made a reservation."
"I should think," said Franklin, "that it was a wonder the spear fishers escaped him."
"Oh, he's not really dangerous. Groupers only swallow things they can get down whole-those silly little teeth aren't much good for biting. And a full-sized man would be a trifle too much for him. Give him another century for that."
They left the giant grouper still patrolling the entrance to its cave, and continued on along the edge of the reef. For the next ten minutes they saw nothing of interest except a large ray, which was lying on the bottom and took off with an agitated flapping of its wings as soon as they approached. As it flew away into the distance, it seemed an uncannily accurate replica of the big delta-winged aircraft which had ruled the air for a short while, sixty or seventy years ago. It was strange, thought Franklin, how Nature had anticipated so many of man's inventions-for example, the precise shape of the vehicle on which he was riding, and even the jet principle by which it was propelled.
"I'm going to circle right around the reef," said Don. "It will take us about forty minutes to get home. Are you feeling O.K.?"
"I'm fine."
"No ear trouble?"
"My left ear bothered me a bit at first, but it seems to have popped now."
"Right-let's go. Follow just above and behind me, so I can see you in my rearview mirror. I was always afraid of running into you when you were on my right."
In the new formation, they sped on toward the east at a steady ten knots, following the irregular line of the reef. Don was well satisfied with the trip; Franklin had seemed perfectly at home under water-though one could never be sure of this until one had seen how he faced an emergency. That would be part of the next lesson; Franklin did not know it yet, but an emergency had been arranged.

Did Clarke do LSD?

I had no idea one of my favorite authors did books on diving!!!
That so rocks! Thanks!

Thanks, but sorry. The Deep Range is a fiction story. I was after an incident in reality when he found a giant grouper in a sunken "floating dock" in an inlet in Ceylon / Sri Lanka. It was one of the series of his books that includes "The Reefs of Taprobane".

Last edited:
Thanks, but sorry. The Deep Range is a fiction story. I was after an incident in reality when he found a giant grouper in a sunken "floating dock" in an inlet in Ceylon / Sri Lanka. It was one of the series of his books that includes "The Reefs of Taprobane".

Well, The Deep Range starts with the following note:

All the characters in this story are fictitious except the giant grouper in Chapter Three.

I do have lots of his books as text-files, this is the nearest thing I found:

In some enclosures, however, surprising partnerships had developed. Brilliantly colored crayfish, looking like overgrown shrimps that had been sprayed with paint guns, crawled a few inches away from the incessantly gaping jaws of a huge and hideous moray eel. A school of fingerlings, like sardines that had escaped from their tin, cruised past the nose of a quarter-ton grouper that could have swallowed them all at one gulp.

"swallowed either" doesn't appear in my collection.

<-----still saddened by his passing.....

It was about Arthur C Clarke and another diving in a sunken "floating dock" in an inlet in Ceylon / Sri Lanka. Clarke wrote that a huge grouper swam into view; the grouper was 4 feet wide side-to-side and "it could have swallowed either of us" or similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom