Plus ratings and hydros'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeh, I saw that, too. Just a typo.

Uh... was I supposed to answer something on the test reports? I looked back through your posts and didn't see a specific question on these.

They look good. In fact these show EXACTLY what WD8CDH was talking about in post #51 about "rounding out" the cylinder. Notice that your pre-test permanent expansions came in at 2.3cc and 1.1cc. Then, at actual test pressure, the perm was only 0.3cc and 0.5cc, respectively. Had those first pre-tests actually experienced permanent expansion due to yield, when you went up to the higher test pressure, you would have seen a lot MORE perm. Instead, the perm dropped, indicating that the cylinders had a set that was rounded out during the pre-test, and then came out with flying colors up at the actual test pressure.

DG

Sorry, I should have specified -- I was just posting them for general knowledge, and if you had any comments on the differences between the two, any would be appreciated (which is exactly what you did).

I was quite happy with the way those hydros were performed. I sent a friend to this facility recently with some PST 130s -- hopefully those will pass and he'll let me know if hydro tests are still $9.50 like mine were last year.

So, has anybody found the REE for old 1/2" pipe thread LP 72s?

So, has anybody found the REE for old 1/2" pipe thread LP 72s?

I can't see why the thread size and type would make a difference.

There is a slight differance from brand to brand, none of the 72s seem to be in the C-5 and the only REE that I have ever seen for any 72 is for PST. I guess I am looking for a official "worst case" generic REE for 72s.

Bump. Did anyone find the Norris numbers? I've got one WK, one PST and two Norrises.

Anyone bringing in a low pressure tank should ask first if the hydro station
is able to give the plus rating. Personally I feel that a hydro station proceeding
with a test and not testing for a plus rating should let the owner of the tank
know in advance. Recently I had an LP85 tank with the REE stamped on the tank
returned without the plus rating. I kidded with the guy at the dive shop when picking
up the tank and said I was there to pick up my LP77 tank ! Ask before leaving the
tank at the dive shop if the hydro station will give the plus rating !

But be warned that in my experience at least they will probably say something vague but reassuring like "We'll tell the shop you want it" and when it comes back, it won't have it.

Unless the dive shop says "We get tanks "+" hydroed all the time, in fact there are a couple over there we just had done", and there are a couple tanks sitting there with fresh hydro stamps complete with plus, there is no guarantee it will be done.

If you take the tanks direct to the hydroshop your chances are a bit better, but you really want to see some tanks with a fresh "+" on them. Or at least ask the guy if they have the REE for your tank, just to see if he knows what an REE is and where to find it.

Ask before leaving the
tank at the dive shop if the hydro station will give the plus rating !

Technically if he is running the shop he should know without hesitation where the REE number is. We have to either know what it is or know that it falls under the other ruling before even doing the test.

Yeah, I was guaranteed that he'd test for it, but he said that most did not pass. It didn't come back with a plus or a note.

he said that most did not pass..

Bullhockey! Point him to the beach and tell him to go pound sand. From what I understand it is unusual for a cylinder that passes hydro to fail a "plus" calculation.

Back
Top Bottom