Plus size full wetsuit (2 or 3mm) suggestions for very large woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarasue13

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand and size of 2mm/3mm wetsuit that would fit a female who's about 5'6" and weighs about 270 lbs? I find this to be an issue for lots of active wear-there aren't large enough sizes for very oversized folks (even oversized folks who do triathlons, diving,
long distance cycling, etc...). Two piece would be fine too as long as it's long legs and long sleeves.

Henderson Thermoprene Pro. They have a large size range, up to size 24.

I had a slightly smaller size in a 5mm for a cave class in MX last month. I’m 5’5” and did have to cut 7” off the legs, but that was unavoidable. Henderson seems think plus sized women are also Amazons.

And for active wear, check out Juno Active’s website. Made in US, so kinda pricey, but well-made and really nice stuff.

I wear an O'Neil Reactor 3/2mm and I'm 6'1" and 350#. Mine is a 5x and they make a 6x.

For heavier thermal protection I have an Akona 7mm, but it is not marked as to what size they call it.

I wear an O'Neil Reactor 3/2mm and I'm 6'1" and 350#. Mine is a 5x and they make a 6x.

For heavier thermal protection I have an Akona 7mm, but it is not marked as to what size they call it.

Are you a guy or a gal? This is for a gal.

I'm aware it is for a woman, but knowing what brands make actual human sized gear is a place to start.

Give JMJ Wetsuits a call. I got a custom from them in the Spring and it is fantastic. I am not anything close to an off the shelf guy. The price was reasonable and i was able to add pockets, leg zippers and a neck zipper.

I second considering a custom wetsuit. Custom sizes are not usually that much more expensive and they will improve every part of future diving experiences for everyone not perfectly fitting a stock wetsuit (or drysuit) size .

(I am sorry I only know custom freediving wetsuit brands, which have different priorities from SCUBA even to point of using different neoprene, but for anyone reading this diving coldwater I can say the fit of my custom sized DUI drysuit was well worth it relative to making due with a stock size...)

I second considering a custom wetsuit. Custom sizes are not usually that much more expensive and they will improve every part of future diving experiences for everyone not perfectly fitting a stock wetsuit (or drysuit) size .

(I am sorry I only know custom freediving wetsuit brands, which have different priorities from SCUBA even to point of using different neoprene, but for anyone reading this diving coldwater I can say the fit of my custom sized DUI drysuit was well worth it relative to making due with a stock size...)

Yes, my DUI FLX Extreme custom fits very well and was worth every penny. But OP is very obviously a warm water diver.

Yes, my DUI FLX Extreme custom fits very well and was worth every penny. But OP is very obviously a warm water diver.
Sorry if my post risked contributing to thread drift, I'm glad MiloR could contribute a brand recommendation for customer fitting SCUBA wetsuits :) Can't emphasize enough a proper fit is priceless...

Go custom/made-to-measure. My wife struggled with an off the rack cressi suit that never fit properly....it caused her to hate diving until she eventually got a made-to-measure wetsuit (and drysuit)....she has commented on more than one occasion that if she could go back in time she would skip the off the rack and get the made-to-measure suit. The most surprising thing, other than how much more comfortable she found it, was that it was not very much more expensive than the Cressi suit she had purchased, and the whole reason she went with the off the rack suit was because we perceived that custom made suits would be unobtainably expensive and did not thoroughly explore that option when she was looking for her first suit.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom