Plus sized women and bouyant capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc,
I say listen to that intuition.... I think if you feel like they are trying to sell you the most expensive one... you are probably on to something.

Just for comparison purposes... I already told you what bc I use -- I am 5'7" and wear a woman's size 28 -- I don't know my weight because I don't 'do scales' anymore -- but I'm guessing it's probably a smidge more than 275 lbs.

I'm using a very basic, men's XL bc.... I have NEVER had a problem with it in terms of lift.... and by the way, the shop I bought it from had an over stock in their rental department... it had been used one time only -- they gave it to me for $150.00!!!

By the way, Big Adventures will be gonig back to Hawaii in September.

Good luck!!

Liz

Originally posted by DivingDoc

Yes, but larger people are generally a higher fat percentage and therefore carry their own increased buoyancy. I suppose big muscular, large boned men with low body fat would require more BLC for their "largeness," but we are talking about plus sized women here.

Weights make everyone equal (and slightly denser than water). When you put on your weight belt, your increased buoyancy disappears -- that's the whole point of wearing it. You're no more bouyant than anyone else once you are weighted correctly.

When you are at the surface, with your head and shoulders out of the water, it is only their mass that counts, not their volume. The more mass you want to hold above the surface, the more lift you need -- but I wouldn't expect a huge difference between a larger person and a smaller one, because most people carry weight around their stomach and hips, not their shoulders.

Originally posted by DivingDoc

Too much lift = less streamlining in the water.

True. You don't want a stupidly excessive amount of lift.

Do the BCs you've been offered fit you correctly? If they don't, it doesn't matter how much lift they have. A BC that is too big can ride up at the surface -- it will float, but you will sink through the middle. Not my idea of fun.

I'm with Ladycute -- it doesn't sound as if your LDS is being all that helpful. Does anyone in your area stock anything other than Zeagle? Not that there's anything wrong with Zeagle BCs, but it sounds as if you could do with some more choices.

Zept

i have lost about 70 lbs since i started diving. i have not noticed a difference in bouyancy from 70 pounds, but even at 190-ish, i am still rather plus-size..

i have one of two bc's that i use regulary. both were under $100 each. (one is a sporasub inca).. we generally find them as close outs or find super sales online at places like diver's supple, diver's direct, or this company (i think it is in italy) called dive inn on the internet. my aztec has a strap above the chest that chaffes under my arms if i do not wear a wetsuit or short sleave shirt. your best bet is to buy a bc that fits well that you like.

the thing that i have found most helpful is a peak performance bouyancy class. i took one at bonaire from sand dollar in january before they went out of business. the price of the entire specialty was $30 (just the cost of the pic envelope). that was one of the most beneficial classes that i have taken and i highly recommend it. it is a great class whether or not you may have a little 'extra natural buoyancy' around the hips and other areas :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom