Pneumothorax evaluation before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crv

Registered
Reaction score
:doctor: My Daughter-in-law wanted to try diving, but she has a history of an auto accident approximately 12 years ago with a pneumothorax that required a chest tube for a couple of days. She has not had any lung problems since then and has not had a chest xray recently.
What evaluation by her doctor would be appropriate, Chest Xray, CT Scan, etc, before she should even consider diving?
Should she even consider diving with this medical history?
:confused:
crv

In my opinion (and only my opinion) a CT scan would be best. Was the pneumo open or closed? Either way, you would want to determine if there is any significant scar tissue that could be classified as a weak spot on the lung. You would also want to determine if there is any air still trapped in the pleural space. If there is, this would generally preclude one from diving since it would expand and contract with pressure changes. Basically the best advice I could possibly give is to see a doctor that knows a thing or two about diving. Contacting DAN is probably a good start too. Hope this helps some.:)

This is what I'd advise my favorite daughter in law:

!. Go to a good pulmonologist
2. Have a routine chest x-ray (read by the pulmonologist)
3. If there are any questionable areas on the CXR - get pulmonary function studies and a spiral CT scan.

You might want to read the thread by John Reinertson at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7302

Now, what should I tell my not so favorite daughter in law?

Good things!

scubadoc

Thanks for all of your information. It has been extremely helpful!!
Especially the links to the DAN site and other Scubaboard thread.
crv:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom