PNG TRIP REPORT: 50+ Hours Underwater Half a World Away (Part 1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BubbleBlocker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
As I sit here beginning to write this on my last day in Papua New Guinea, I feel a world away from home and a world away from where I first arrived in PNG, Port Moresby. Feeling a world away from home is understandable as I’m about as far away I could get without starting to return around the globe. Feeling a world away from Port Moresby is much less so, as I’m only a short ferry and van ride away here at Loloata. Ending my trip at this island resort has given me a chance to slow down the diving pace before the long trek home as well as to think back over my last 3 weeks. It also has allowed me to avoid a long layover in Port Moresby, which truly does deserve its horrendous reputation. Loloata also offers some very good diving in its own right, but there’s not much else to do but walk around the island or read if you’re not in the water. The food is very good and plentiful and the people are pleasant. But I’m getting ahead of myself … Time to go back to the beginning.

Travel Logistics

The route I took to get to PNG was most certainly not the most direct. However, I had lots of United frequent flyer miles to burn and wanted to use them to get as far as I could in First Class seats. Thus, my trip would take me to Singapore as my jumping off spot to my Air Niugini flights to PNG. From the east coast, coming in via Tokyo or even Fiji would have been preferable, as would flying from Australia. Flying in First Class in a newly configured 747 wasn’t too shabby of a choice, though, and you can’t beat free tickets! As an added benefit, I also had access to the ANA and United First Class lounges along the way and managed to shower in Tokyo, Singapore, and Chicago on this trip – oh, and of course in PNG. ;-) Given that the flights on Air Niugini alone weren’t inexpensive (economy class from Singapore to Hoskins ran me over $1600, even booked well in advance) the free seats to Singapore definitely helped eased the financial pain of the trip. In any event, getting there and back took days; Singapore to Tokyo was about 6 hours; Tokyo was Chicago is about 10-11 hours; Singapore to Port Moresby was about 6 hours. And then there was the time difference to deal with!

Since I’ve always just passed through Singapore without ever leaving the airport I decided to do two and a half days on the front end there this time around. Hotel prices can be relatively high so I checked around and got a great deal at the Singapore Marriott using Priceline. I paid hundreds less than the rack rate even on just the few days. The Marriott is in an excellent location, close to shopping and transportation. If you stay there, be sure to ask for a room away from the construction. For Gold members they offer a terrific executive lounge with breakfast, cocktails and appetizers, and free Internet. There was also a nice pool. I hit all the “regular” tourist spots in Singapore, had some excellent food and spent an afternoon on the great tourist buses they offer for a reasonable price. I think I ate more chicken on this trip overall than I’ve eaten ever, but I have to say I really got hooked on the chicken and rice cooked with chicken broth. Although it sounds bland, freshly ground chili and garlic sauce really add to it and I liked that I could season it to my taste. Singaporeans eat a fair number of chickens themselves if the number of chickens hung from racks in vendor stalls was any indication! On the way home, arriving in Singapore in the evening and leaving in the morning, I arranged to stay at one of the airport’s transit hotels. (Definitely reserve ahead of time if you go, and make sure you have a confirmation number.) The airport has more than it’s share of food and shopping choices, along with a 24-hour free movie theatre and other forms of entertainment and relaxation. Most of the shopping I did was just window shopping, but I did compare prices on a couple of camera lenses and found I could get them for the same price or less in the States (along with a US warranty). I always felt safe in Singapore and was always comfortable walking by myself. It was easy and convenient to exchange currency at any of the many authorized locations, and credit cards were routinely accepted as well.

My Air Niugini flight to Port Moresby was an unexpectedly pleasant experience, the first of all four Economy class flights on this airline incurring no additional baggage charges. (Note: Divers do get an extra baggage allowance for dive gear, but I was well over the published limit.) The planes were 767 wide-body jets, and I was lucky enough to have the exit rows. The flight attendants were generally cheerful and helpful and a full meal was served on the outbound overnight flight as well as the return flight to Singapore. When my flight was first booked it was a non-stop, but somewhere along the way Air Niugini added in a stop in Kuala Lumpur. It was only a brief stop with no need to disembark the plane. I had a layover of about 6 hours in Port Moresby and after checking in my bags for the domestic flight and getting my boarding passes (there’s a counter for domestic transit passengers in the international terminal) I immediately headed to the Gateway hotel where I had pre-booked a dayroom for about $130 USD. Yes, prices are insane in Port Moresby, and the Gateway is one of the more economical options. Rooms at the Airways Hotel start between $300 and $400. Others in the group I was meeting had gone to the Airways hotel days earlier to enjoy the restaurant, bar, and pool there. I was traveling solo at this point and definitely wanted a bed for a few hours (I’ve never been one to fall asleep easily on planes) and a shower, and the Airways does not book day rooms. The Gateway was relatively clean and pleasant and also has a nice pool and good restaurant and bar. There was some construction underway but that was due to be finished early next year.

I had been dreading check-in at the domestic terminal in Port Moresby for a number of reasons, least of which was the checked baggage limitations. My two checked bags were between 40 and 50 pounds each, but I also had 39-pound rollaboard with all my camera gear and regs, and a backpack with my computer, etc. and would be flying on a Dash 8 into Hoskins. As I went to board the small plane with my carry-on bags, the flight attendant actually started descending the stairs to help me in getting my rollaboard onboard and under the seat. I really was expecting to have to plead my case to take the rollaboard onto the plane with me.

Upon arrival in Hoskins, Max, who had arrived on my plane, and a driver met me. Max and Cecilie Benjamin and their staff have been introducing Kimbe Bay reefs to divers for over 25 years, according to Cecilie, here’s how Walindi Plantation Resort came to be:

“A scuba diving holiday to the Red Sea's Sinai Peninsular in 1978 sowed the seed of the idea with Max to develop Walindi Plantation Resort on the shores of Kimbe Bay where we lived at Walindi Plantation, a plantation growing oil palm even to this day. The Red Sea at that time was internationally hailed as the 'world's best diving'. We found the spectacular desert scenery and interesting reefs there simply no match for our home of Kimbe Bay with its dramatic rainforests, volcanic peaks as a backdrop and - the underwater difference - of so many more coral and fish species. This was an era where the term 'Coral Triangle' had not yet been coined. Through international marine research in the years following that fateful journey, it is now recognised that the greatest marine diversification of coral on earth occurs in the region bordered by the Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, East Indonesia, and the southern Philippines. This is the so named Coral Triangle, home to 75% of the world's coral species in an area covered by less than 2% of the world's oceans. The Bismark Sea, where Kimbe Bay is situated, is almost central to this Triangle.”

As I arrived, I was grateful to have listened to the instructions from the folks at Walindi and was prepared for the hour ride to the resort without the need for a bathroom break at the Hoskins airport. According to first hand reports, the rest rooms were pretty horrible. (I gauge things like this by the Sorong Airport and was told that Sorong paled in comparison.) I did likewise on my return and prayed that the flight would not be significantly delayed. Although most of the folks in the group I was meeting had arrived much earlier, I had booked only 4 nights at Walindi with 3 days of 2-tank dives. In hindsight, that was the right move. Most of the others concurred that they would have preferred shorter stays on land.

Walindi Plantation Resort - Accommodations

Both individual bungalows and guesthouse rooms were available. I was in a bungalow with a double bed and a smaller extra bed. The bungalows had small fridges and complimentary coffee, and the water is safe to drink. The ceiling fans and cool breezes at night were sufficient for comfortable sleeping, although daytime temps were well into the eighties with very high humidity. Meals were mostly buffet style with breakfast made to order, and the food was varied and excellent – lots of veggie choices, fresh fish, chicken, etc. and generally very good desserts. Laundry service was offered daily free of charge; there was a bag for laundry in each bungalow and anything left in the morning was dropped off folded neatly in the afternoon. There’s a K (Kimbe) Mart in town that is well stocked in case of forgotten items and there is also an ATM and a crafts/vegetable market. I made a mistake exchanging too many dollars for kina; there’s not much to spend money on. The DEET I brought was put to good use in the evenings.

The central resort area housed an open-air reception lobby, Casuarina Restaurant and Planter's Bar as well as an air-conditioned lounge and library with Internet facilities for guest use. The wireless did not reach far and was only intermittently available, not wholly unexpected given the remote location. There also was a small boutique and a small swimming pool.

png-40.jpg

png-41.jpg

Walindi Diving - Overview

The Dive Center was located on the jetty where the Star Dancer, the Febrina and the day boats were docked. We did 3-tank dives each day and the seven of us usually had the boat to ourselves. A really nice buffet lunch – the best lunch I have ever seen offered on a day boat - was offered between dives, with fresh fish, chicken, fruit and veggies. The diving in general was excellent - but I do have to say that the diving on Febrina was even better. Lots of barrel sponges, whip coral, anemone fish, barracuda and the usual assortment of anemone fish, etc. Vis was excellent and water temps were 84-86. (This held throughout the trip.) Our guide, Peter, was phenomenal at finding things and was the best DM I’ve ever come across in 20+ years of diving. He was helpful without being overbearing. Nitrox was available for $8 per tank (which was almost half less than I paid the last time in the Caymans for shorter, less-rich fills). There are about 25 dive sites that are visited regularly, the closest just a 5 minute boat ride away and the furthest about an hour away. We dove a variety of sites in Kimbe Bay including Inglis Shoals (a beautiful sea mount with large schools of jacks and barracudas) as well as a variety of reefs in the surrounding area. The dive sites in the area are too numerous to list but I have a map for those who may be interested in the detail.

png-39.jpg

png-42.jpg

png-44.jpg

png-43.jpg

Febrina - The Boat

I found Febrina to be smaller than many other liveaboards at about 75 feet and I was grateful that there were only 9 divers vs. the usual 12 on the boat. There was adequate camera space and electrical adapters for charging equipment even though all guests onboard were photographers. I was glad I brought my own adapters and power strip for charging in my cabin as well. Hair dryers were provided in each cabin. (I mention this as it’s not always a given and it’s nice to know not to bother packing one if you normally do.) There were seven cabins on the boat, five doubles and two singles, all with ensuite facilities and all below deck. Each had adequate space but not all have portholes for daylight. I’d suggest earplugs or noise canceling headphones if you’re a light sleeper (as I do on any liveaboard) as it can be quite noisy when underway overnight.

Captain Alan was a hoot (you’d have to meet him to understand) and Josie and Digger were terrific guides. I had no idea how (notoriously!) well known Alan was until after I booked on for the trip. He’s an Australian who has been captain of both the Star Dancer and the Febrina and has been taking divers to some of the best spots in the Bismark Sea for about 20 years.

A continental breakfast was offered before the first dive, with breakfast to order at about 8:00. Lunch was at about 12:30 and dinner was after the night dive or at about 7:30. Food was mostly very good with lots of chicken although there were more fried foods than typical for a liveaboard, especially for snacks. Wine was complimentary with dinner; an honor bar was available the rest of the time or BYOB The Papuan staff was outstanding and they worked together like family. Laundry was done daily. This was a first for me on a liveaboard and is an outstanding service. If I had known ahead of time I could have packed much lighter. Same deal as Walindi: put dirty laundry in bag provided and it was returned cleaned and folded neatly by the afternoon.

The Walindi and Febrina portions of the trip were arranged for as a group by Jason Heller as one of Dive Photo Guide’s (DPG’s) expeditions, and Matt Weiss led the trip. Matt offered photography tips and did informal sessions on using Lightroom for photo organization and editing in the evenings. I’d highly recommend their trips and know others who have been on them as well (multiple times); I look forward to joining another one of DPG’s trips in the future.

Febrina Diving – Overview

We boarded the boat on a Tuesday afternoon for the 10-day trip. By the next morning at 6:30 – right on schedule – we were in the water. There were typically 4-5 dives per day, at 6:30, 9:00; 11:30, 3:30 and 6:30. Dive your computer; return with 500 psi. Nitrox was available for a flat fee of $200 USD for the ten-night trip or on a per tank basis. There were always several divemasters/guides in the water and they were very attentive. The diving was so good I didn’t miss a single daytime dive, nor did the majority of the other divers. Many also did the night dives that were offered. We experienced everything from pinnacles to arches to muck diving to shark dives and each and every dive was outstanding. There were close to 40 dives offered on the ten-day itinerary. It didn’t take us long to get into the routine: 6:00 wake up, cold breakfast and coffee, gear check; 6:30 first dive; 7:45 hot breakfast; 9:00 second dive; 11:30 third dive; 12:30 lunch; 1:30 free (nap) time; 3:30 fourth dive; 6:30 night dive; 8:00 dinner. Repeat. All dives were done from the mother ship. The staff would place all fins and cameras on the platform, divers would gear up and descend steps to the platform, staff would put fins on each diver, and divers would do giant stride entries. Each camera was handed down easily to each diver in turn. Upon return, cameras, weights and fins were handed up prior to climbing the ladder. On the rare occasion where there was a surface current running, the staff would actually remove divers’ fins in the water for them. Tanks were aluminum 80/yoke and fills were usually generous; nitrox ran 32-33.

We dove the Fathers Reef area initially and then headed to the Witu islands were the diving was among the best I have ever done. From Fathers, getting to the Witus was an overnight endeavor and required skipping the night dive. Fathers Reef, to the northeast of Kimbe Bay, consists of a series of offshore reefs with a profusion of sealife. The Witu Islands are to the northwest of Kimbe Bay, where Walindi is located, and are of volcanic origin. Garove Harbour is a submerged volcanic crater. Some especially great sites such as the Arches were dived more than once. That site is on a coral ridge that dips down to two coral arches surrounded by sea fans. Several dives in the Witus offered muck diving opportunities, including sightings of ornate ghost pipefish, peacock mantis shrimp, jumping shrimp, hairy squat lobster, and even a Mototi octopus (unfortunately seen only by one diver and the guide at the end of a dive). All in all, the Bismark Sea offered truly impressive soft coral gardens no shortage of sharks, as evidenced on the itinerary’s shark bait dives. Here’s the list of sites we hit on Febrina. Krackafat, in particular, is one that I will never forget, with its abundance of huge schools of fish and proliferation of all kinds of sealife. We dove it twice but I could have gone back a number of times before ever getting tired of it.

Normans’
The Arches
Jayne’s Gully
Shaggy
Leslie’s
Belinda’s
Killibob
Otto’s
Bradford Shoal
Ake’s Reef
Meil’s Reef
Jackie’s Knob
Krackafat
Goru Arches
Wirey’s Bay
Dickey’s Place
Crater
Barney’s

One thing to be aware of is that Corallimorphs are present on a number of the sites and should be avoided, offering particular challenges to photographers. These coral anemones are flattened mushroom-like anemones with short, stubby tentacles. Although they look like true corals, they lack skeletons. We were told that corallimorpharian stings could penetrate even 3mm wetsuits. I had initially expected currents to be running similar to those in Raja Ampat and was surprised to find generally mild currents (if any at all) at most sites.

At the end of the trip, divers have the choice of diving on the day before getting off the boat, but since we all had very early flights we chose to forgo these and get back into port a little early. This gave us the chance to check our email and ensure that our gear was all dry and ready for packing. I should also mention that all gear was rinsed by the staff and hung up to dry either outdoors or in the engine room. This was a great service! Getting back to Walindi from the Witu islands took about 7 hours.

Loloata

As I mentioned early on in this report, my last stop was Loloata Island Resort. The others in the group were headed to Lae for the Morobe Festival for a few days but I had chosen to start heading in the general direction of home at that point in the trip and had booked 3 nights at Loloata with 2 days of diving. Doing this had the added benefit of allowing me to avoid wasting another day in Port Moresby while letting me rest up a bit and get my land legs bag after the liveaboard and prior to the long trip home.

Getting to Loloata was relatively straightforward, involving only a 15-20 minute van ride (transfers prearranged and included) and a 10-minute boat ride from the marina on one of the resort’s water taxis. The resort itself had 23 beachfront units, some duplexes with air conditioning. All units had nice balconies, and (as throughout my trip) fresh water was potable and supplied via rainwater or desalination.

The food was plentiful and very good, with lunch and dinner served buffet style and breakfast made to order. On Friday night there was native singing and dancing.

The air-conditioned units were a substantial distance from the main complex. That said, it was possible to walk around the entire island in about an hour, and there’s also a pathway up to the highest point on the island, which offers a terrific view. Tours of Port Moresby and other day trips can be arranged.

The island had many semi-tame but shy wallabies along the pathways, and there was a tree kangaroo and parrots in a large cage. The staff put out scrap vegetables from the kitchen for the wallabies who were near the main complex.

png-45.jpg

png-46.jpg

png-47.jpg

png-48.jpg

png-50.jpg

png-51.jpg

png-52.jpg

Loloata Diving

The resort had two spacious aluminum boats, both capable of carrying 10 divers but which were rarely full. Things were busier on the weekends when ex-pats came out from Port Moresby either for a day or the weekend. Nitrox was not available, fills were generous, and tanks were again aluminum 80/yoke valve.

There are some excellent dive opportunities nearby, including everything from wreck, muck, to reef diving. Two dives I particularly liked were D’s Delight and Suzies Bommie, D’s Delight for its many crevices and canyons and fan covered walls, and Suzies Bommie for its shear proliferation of coral and fish. Many sites were within 4 miles of the resort although some were further.

There were two DMs in the water for five divers one day, and the impression I got was that they were not very experienced. One seemed surprised on the second dive of the day to end up in deco and at one point grabbed my computer to look at it. (I never had less than 10 minutes of my no-deco limit left but he had been going deeper on a crossing between two bommies and apparently had not been checking his computer.)

Miscellaneous Travel Tips

A Visa can be purchased either before traveling or on arrival. I arranged for the former, but it would have been just as easy to do it on arrival provided I had PNG currency on hand. I received my visa within about a week of sending in my passport. (Note: There is an ATM machine past immigration if you need local currency but the folks behind you on line might not be too patient if they have to wait for you to get kina to pay for your Visa.)

I was pretty much covered health-wise due to other recent trips but renewed a prescription for Malarone as a malaria prophylaxis. Others on the trip were either taking Malarone or doxycycline although one person was taking neither. Based on discussions with Max at Walindi, I don’t feel it’s worth the risk not to take something although I did feel that the Malarone upset my stomach initially. I do not generally take doxy due to its relationship to increased sun sensitivity. I also routinely take along Cipro and other OTC medications and a first aid kit just in case they’re needed.

Connectivity was limited in some areas. In Singapore, I had voice and data service on my iPhone and iPad (with an international plan); in Port Moresby, I had voice and data service on my iPhone; at Walindi, I had access to the Internet via the resort’s WiFi but some of the other guests’ cell service worked also; on the boat we were limited to the boat’s satellite service or to the generosity of another guest in sharing his satellite phone, although at least one had limited Blackberry data service periodically. As always, check with your carrier before traveling. I was happy I had set up my iPad for use in Singapore beforehand.

Links

Walindi Platation Resort: Walindi Resort & MV FeBrina - Home
MV Febrina: Walindi Resort & MV FeBrina - MV FeBrina
Loloata Island Resort: Loloata Island scuba resort - Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Air Niugini: Air Niugini Fares: Flights Papua New Guinea PNG Airlines Bookings
Gateway Hotel: CORAL SEA HOTELS :: Papua New Guinea
Airways Hotel: Airways Hotel, Port Moresby. PNG
Ambassador Transit Hotel: Ambassador Transit Hotel
Entry Requirements for Tourist/Visitors Visa: Embassy of Papua New Guinea to the Americas, Washington, DC
Health Considerations: MD Travel Health - Papua New Guinea - vaccinations, malaria, safety, and other medical advice
Trip Insurance: Travel Insurance: Travel Guard - Trip, Medical/Health & Accident Coverage
Dive Photo Guide: Underwater Photography & Video: DivePhotoGuide.com

Last edited:
Photos

Time to let the photos tell the rest of the story …

Calm waters …

png-14.jpg

Shark bait dives …

png-7.jpg

Sometimes the fish in the area felt like the bait …

png-8.jpg

Sometimes I did …

png-9.jpg

George the barracuda hung around us a lot …

png-10.jpg

As did Digger’s turtle friends …

png-11.jpg

Clear, warm water …

png-19.jpg

Beautiful reefs, covered in coral and sponges …

png-17.jpg

png-35.jpg

png-18.jpg

png-1.jpg

png-20.jpg

Small critters and fish …

png-2.jpg

png-3.jpg

png-6.jpg

png-21.jpg

png-30.jpg

png-29.jpg

Lots of nudis (and group gropes!) …

png-16.jpg

png-24.jpg

Some subjects that didn’t like my strobes …

png-26.jpg

And serene scenes (as one of the deck hands and guides relaxes and takes in the scenery) …

png-13.jpg

Massive schools of barracuda and grunts (none of which turned out as I’d hoped) …

png-12.jpg

And other stuff that caught my eye …

png-23.jpg

Land tour opportunities …

png-31.jpg

Friendly visitors …

png-34.jpg

Great dive staff …

png-36.jpg

Tough goodbyes to PNG and new friends …

png-38.jpg

png-53.jpg

All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful trip, one that I hope to do again in the future.

What a fantastic report! I really appreciate the detail. I think PNG just went on my bucket list.

Many thanks for the great report.
There are not many recent reports on PNG so your effort is very much appreciated.
Great photos.
I hope to visit PNG next year.

Incredible detail from flights, then topside, and the awesome under water photos in both macro and Wide Angle. Best report I have ever read on PNG !!

Glad you are enjoying the report! Here are a few more pics ...

First of all, the food on the Walindi boats - the best spread I've ever seen for a land-based op:

png-102-1.jpg

Still gotta work on my strobe placement, but had to chuckle at this one with George:

png-103-1.jpg

Can you tell we were all having fun? Here's Digger doing the tightrope walk:

png-123.jpg

Sharks coming and going:

png-120.jpg

png-109-1.jpg

png-133.jpg

png-134.jpg

png-135.jpg

More small stuff:

png-139.jpg

png-141.jpg

png-142.jpg

png-143.jpg

png-145.jpg

png-149.jpg

png-158.jpg

png-163.jpg

png-164.jpg

png-165.jpg

png-25.jpg

png-171.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/eerickso/Papua%20New%20Guinea/png-126.jpg[/image]

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/eerickso/Papua%20New%20Guinea/png-127.jpg

png-125.jpg

png-157.jpg

And bigger stuff:

png-116-1.jpg

png-119.jpg

png-176.jpg

png-174.jpg

png-177.jpg

png-112-1.jpg

Hope you enjoy the photos; I certainly enjoyed taking them!

I've been waiting for a report like this....just wonderful! we were debating on going to Raja Ampat again next year, or PNG...your detailed experience has made it an easy decision. Thank you.

shannon

Back
Top Bottom