PNG Trip Report: MV FeBrina June 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just back from a 9 day trip aboard MV FeBrina travelling from Kimbe Bay to Rabaul.. absolutely pristine reefs, very good food... and great diving!

I'm in the process of editing 37Gb of photos and HD video as well as writing up a detailed report... hopefully finished this weekend.

In the meantime... here's a teaser :wink:

IMG_3039 web 16.9 logo.jpg

PART 1: Getting There and Back
Nearly all PNG trips start and end at Port Moresby (POM)
In my case, being based in Australia meant several options were available to get to POM.
From Melbourne, the fastest and best value option was to go with Qantas Melbourne (MEL) to Brisbane (BNE) and then BNE to POM.

Qantas offered several discounted deals via their Frequent Flyer Red program (need to sign up to get emailed advance notices) whereas Air Niugini did not. Also Qantas baggage allowance was 30kg all the way to POM... and a reciprocal arrangement with Air Niugini meant domestic flights directly connecting to an international flight also accepted 30kg without excess bagge charges! Normally PNG domestic fares only allow 18kg.
HOWEVER, at checkin in Rabaul (RAB) on my return flight I was delayed for 15mins while I tried to explain this to the counter clerk who wanted to charge me for 10kg excess baggage.
You need to clearly state you are carrying SCUBA gear... I thought I had but obviously something got lost in translation!

Ticketed all the way through to POM so no need to transfer luggage at BNE.

Outbound flights were as follows:
QF600 MEL-BNE
Depart 6:00am arrive 8:10am
QF57 BNE-POM
Depart 9:25am arrive 12:35pm
PX244 POM-HKN
Depart 03:20pm arrive 04:25pm​

Despite being a Saturday morning and only having 75mins between Domestic and International connections there was ample time to catch the free electric shuttle bus (scheduled every 10mins for my flight arrival window).
Terminal Transfers - Brisbane Airport

The new Smart Gate electronic self-scanning passport control system introduced at Australia's 8 major international airports also greatly sped up the process of Customs and Border Control. I still had enough time before my flight to POM to exchange some $AU to Kina and a cup of coffee!
Return flights:
PX275 RAB-POM
Depart 06:50am arrive 08:10am
QF58 POM-BNE
Depart 1:25pm arrive 4:35pm
QF57 BNE-MEL
Depart 7:00pm arrive 9:35pm

POM lady waiting.jpg
Boarding F27.jpg

Flying into HKN.jpg

F27 Hoskins.jpg

VISA
At arrival in POM, Australian citizens can now get a free 30-day Visa On Arrival via the kiosk immediately in front of Customs.
Other nationalities may have to pay a fee, check here:
Home
Walindi FeBrina - Visa Information

SO, it is possible to get all the way from southern parts of Australia to remote parts of PNG in a single, albeit LONG day.

Flight Delays and Accommodation Arrangements
Flights to and from POM are often cancelled or delayed due to unexpected events.
It is advisable to have a buffer day either side of major flights... domestic flights out of POM often use small planes which get booked out early around popular times.

While I would avoid staying a night in central POM if possible, the Gateway Hotel is only 800m from the airport terminal and came highly regarded by one seasoned PNG traveller (complementary shuttle service available via Tourism desk at the airport)
Gateway Hotel. Gateway Hotel, Port Moresby.

Last edited:
PART 2: Health Considerations and Safety
Malaria
Much of PNG can be considered a Malaria risk... Kimbe Bay and Rabaul are no exceptions.
It is advisable to take anti-malarial precautions before, during and after your PNG trip. Most of our fellow divers were taking Doxycycline, but you need to consult your doctor for appropriate individual medication. I also had shots for Hepatitis A&B.
Health Information for Travelers to Papua New Guinea - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resources/pdf/fsp/drugs/Doxycycline.pdf

Tuberculosis

With one of the highest tuberculosis (TB) infection rates in the world, Papua New Guinea’s TB pandemic is referred to by national health authorities as a “national emergency.”
With approximately 30,000 people in the country newly infected with the TB bacteria every year, increasing incidences of drug-resistant strains, and limited access to adequate healthcare, the nation has seen a recent resurgence of support from international governments and medical humanitarian agencies.

TB is a communicable, airborne infection that is caused by the bacteria mycobacterium tuberculosis. It can lie dormant within the body for many years.
However, for those with compromised immunity, TB develops into a disease that destructs organ tissue – most commonly in the lungs. It presents symptomatically as a fever-like condition and can be fatal if left untreated.
Papua New Guinea's Tuberculosis Pandemic

My flight from POM to HKN boarded relatively on time, passengers seated, doors secured, starboard turboprop engine on the Air Niugini Fokker F27 spinning up to full power and port engine just kicking over.

The elderly local passenger seated immediately behind me started coughing up blood into a tissue. As it happened he was seated next to a doctor, who knew all about tropical diseases.

After some quick and intense questioning in Tok Pisin the doctor determined the passenger was suffering from advanced TB and was at the most infectious stage! He called the flight attendant and told her the passenger needed a medical face mask ASAP or risked infecting the entire plane... they had none so she called the Captain for advice.

Both engines were immediately shut down and the Captain came storming down the aisle and very firmly said that he was not risking exposing the rest of the passengers to TB and would not be flying the plane ANYWHERE till the sick passenger disembarked either alone or together with his family . This was translated by the doctor, and the Captain returned to the cockpit.
A tense standoff then occurred, plane sitting on the tarmac in the dark without power, no AC and temperatures rapidly rising inside. Finally after much discussion the whole family left the plane to the relief of everyone on board.
However, the aircraft's passenger manifest was then incorrect so a new one needed to be issued from the office and their luggage removed.

We FINALLY took off for Hoskins nearly an hour late!

Safety Overview

As others on SB have warned, certain parts of PNG are very dangerous, especially Port Moresby after dark and Highland areas like Mt Hagen and Mendi.

Unfortunately it seems Highland style violence is spreading to Milne Bay and Alotau, with another armed robbery at Tawali Resort on Thursday, 30th November 2017.
On December 4 2017 an employee was killed in an armed robbery of a supermarket in Alotau.
Alotau police close in on robbery suspects - Post Courier
Criminal activities on the rise in Alotau - The National

Other guests on FeBrina who had stayed at Tawali for a couple of nights in June 2018 prior to joining the boat reported that security at the resort had been increased, with an armed police outpost established nearby... and no further major incidents in the Alotau area since.

Just before our FeBrina trip there was an incident at Mendi on 14 June 2018 where an Air Niugini plane was torched by an angry mob, leading to widespread flight cancellations into that region.
'It's so scary': Angry protesters burn plane in PNG's Highlands

West New Britain is probably the least likely area for trouble in PNG, but it is certainly still a good idea to keep your wits about you when travelling anywhere in PNG and not take unnecessary risks... but generally I found the locals in New Britain to be very friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
PART 3: Resorts, Equipment and the FeBrina
I had already experienced delays on a previous trip to PNG in 2014, so wanted to factor in a day either side of my Fabrina voyage on Monday 18 June.

Unfortunately all flights into HKN on Sunday 17 June were fully booked out as was the Walindi Resort.

They recommended the Liamo Reef Resort nearby, so I stayed there for two nights 16-17 June, checking out on 18 June. A very comfortable, spacious and more affordable alternative to Walindi if you want a base to look around West New Britain... however don't expect Raja Ampat resort rates, remote PNG operations can and do charge whatever they can get away with!
https://www.liamoreefresort.com/

I also went fishing for PNG Black Bass on my unexpected spare day Sunday 17 June with Liamo's associated company Baia Sportfishing. I caught a medium sized Black Bass and two Mangrove Jacks (catch and release policy) which was a lot of fun. Baia offer week long fishing safaris into some really remote areas if you want to combine a PNG dive trip with some other adventures. Highly recommended!
https://www.baiafishingpng.com/

Bass fishing locals.jpg

Due to being fully booked out, Walindi had put me on a waitlist for a dive on Monday 18 June prior to boarding MV Fabrina.
I got a message just in time that a vacancy had come up, so was picked up at Liamo at 7am to meet the daily 8am Walindi dive boat... much to the surprise of the Divemaster!
Seems the Walindi front office had not communcated my late booking to him but as I had all my own gear just needing the usual tanks and weights it was sorted out quickly.
There was a minor problem with the length of webbing belt not being long enough for my... ahem... girth. This also happened onboard Febrina so worth carrying a spare belt of the correct length just in case.
I was diving air, but the vast majority were diving Nitrox (at a premium).
We completed three dives, including a lunch stop at the very picturesque Restorf island... just as great as my first trip to Walindi in 2014.

Our final meal was held at the Rapopo Plantation Resort, before heading back to Febrina for the night. While four of us had booked seats on the 06:50am flight to POM, the other two Aussies had elected to stay a couple more nights at Rapopo and relax before returning home... a very elegant place... with very good food!
Rapopo Plantation Resort

EQUIPMENT
I was using my Argonaut Kraken DH reg, which caused a great deal of interest... especially amongst the photographers both at Walindi and onboard the Febrina!
And after around 25 DH dives I can confirm that both pelagics and tiny macro critters really DO allow you to approach much closer than usual with a camera. I also like the relative silence, where bubbles aren't roaring past your ears or in front of your face!
As this was my first 'remote area' trip with the Kraken I also brought along my uber-reliable Conshelf 21 with Sea Hornet Command Air second stage... good to have a backup just in case!

MV FEBRINA
I was able to smoothly transition from my day's diving at Walindi to board Febrina well in time for a 9 day trip from Kimbe to Rabaul.

Built with a steel hull and steel/aluminium superstructure, MV Febrina's classic design and below deck cabins makes for a comfortable journey. Fitted with all modern navigational and safety equipment, large water and fuel tanks, individual air-conditioning to all areas of the vessel and water level duckboard, MV FeBrina is a perfect platform to explore the waters of Papua New Guinea.22.3m or 73' in length.
Walindi FeBrina - Vessel
Walindi FeBrina - MV FeBrina Liveaboard Dive Boat

Hostess and DM Josie made sure all the paperwork was organised smoothly and we were allocated cabins. A nice surprise for us was that due to last minute cancellations there were only six passengers on board, three Aussies and three Texans (I'm told they are also US Citizens :wink:) so we all got upgraded ensuite cabins!

Alan Raabe is Master of Febrina, a real salty character who has been operating in PNG for 32 years... and really has seen it all. He obviously loves PNG and his heart is in the right place... I saw how frustrated he became at the negative publicity for PNG surrounding the Air Niugini plane torching at Mendi... "They'd rather blow out the candle than share the light" in reference to tribal and political mayhem affecting PNG's fragile emerging tourism industry.

Food onboard was excellent and varied... a couple of complimentary bottles of good quality red or white wines were provided with each dinner. Leonie performed miracles from a Galley about 3m x 2m along with two very able kitchen hands (who also moonlighted as housemaids and in the laundry). Leonie really is an excellent cook, even baking bread and cookies onboard, and some of her recipes were requested by guests... particularly her Papaya and Ginger soup.

A daily laundry service was provided, items returned neatly folded on your bed... so only bringing around 3 days worth of clothing is fine.
All the power, refrigeration and freshwater making onboard required an auxiliary diesel set going 24/7 in the engine room... which could be heard quite clearly (even underwater) I'm not sure if it is a characteristic of steel hulled vessels or if the engine mounts could be better isolated but it could be an issue for some.

Diving in general was very good, first few days around Kimbe Bay, Fathers Reefs and Bainings reefs enroute to Rabaul. Water temp 27-29C which was a welcome change from Port Phillip Bay winter temps of 15C!
Visibility was not that great 10-15m in general with a great deal of plankton and other suspended matter. The one dive we had with about 25m+ viz really stood out!
Walindi FeBrina - MV FeBrina Liveaboard Dive Boat

Two Divemasters Josie and Digger (also Skipper Alan's First Mate) kept things organised with good clear dive briefings at each location, assisted by some of the boat crew acting as Dive Guides. Josie's whiteboard sketches were a source of much ribbing by the crew but we knew what she meant! One minor niggle was the tendency for some of the Dive Guides to just take off down the anchor line before everyone was ready to descend... a quick word to the DM had this sorted.

There was some initial confusion I feel amongst some of the other guests who may have been expecting a more formal or structured DM-to-diver experience, which is common on some other LOB's in say Indonesia. Febrina has hosted several very well known photographers in the past who know exactly what they are doing UW and want to be left alone to do it without hand-holding by the DM's.
I think it fair to say AOW and 50+ dives should be the minimum certification level required for Febrina.

Between four and five dives per day were possible, depending on the prevaling current and general conditions... 6.30am> breakfast > 9:30am > rest break> 11:30am > lunch and rest break> 3:30pm optional night dive 6:30pm > dinner. A fairly cracking pace... I skipped a few of the night dives towards the end of the cruise.

A nice touch was an individually allocated towel which was delivered toasty warm from the dryer just in time to meet each diver returning on board... for each dive!

While we did dive on the Zero in Kimbe Bay (my second dive there, this time with a HD GoPro... loved it even more) most dive sites enroute tended to be seamounts and associated walls.

A myriad of smaller reef fish, some huge schools of Chevron Barracuda, soft and hard corals, big Gorgonian Fans (complete with the shy and incredibly camoflaged Pygmy Seahorse) several small-to-medium sized white tip reef sharks (one actually bit my video light... a little close for comfort!) but no large reef fish or other pelagic stuff. On the last evening, Rabaul harbour wharf pylons provided an unexpectedly rich night dive, but unfortunately the visually stunning (above water) Beehive Rocks did not live up to expectations below water. This was probably the worst dive of the whole trip, and I think an alternative location should be developed by the Febrina team.

We did not see another vessel for the entire trip, NO plastic pollution noticeable anywhere.. well apart from Rabaul harbour, which inexplicably also had a single Queen of Spades card sitting up out of the mud!

IMG_3706_web.jpg

IMG_3768_web.jpg

Rabaul
We arranged a half day tour of Rabaul on our last no-fly day, having visited the markets in the morning... lots of local woven handicrafts incl Bilum Bags and fresh tropical fuits, so we gorged on Mangosteens and Rambutans and tried the local boiled peanuts!
IMG_3725_web.jpg

After lunch onboard we then headed out to see the Kokopo War Museum, and the WWII Japanese underground facilities (incl a five story underground hospital and a massive bunker that could house five landing barges... all hand-dug by prisoners-of-war.
Rabaul lookout hike.jpg

IMG_3729_web.jpg

Some very interesting and sobering stuff at the Museum so its worth allowing more time to be able to go over the exhibits properly. Many of the exhibits are deteriorating rapidly in the non-AC tropical environment and could do with proper conservation and stabilisation before they are lost forever.
IMG_3741_web.jpg

IMG_3744_web.jpg

Last edited:
Some Macro stuff... all shot on a Canon S95 in a Canon WP-DC38 housing with 67mm Auto Magic Filter +10 67mm closeup lens and a iTorch 6+ video light.
M A G I C - F I L T E R S

IMG_3657_web.jpg

IMG_3528_web.jpg

IMG_3450_web.jpg

IMG_3189_web.jpg

IMG_3149_web.jpg

IMG_3184_web.jpg

IMG_3072_web.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3482_web.jpg

IMG_3494_web.jpg

IMG_3262_web.jpg

IMG_3454_web.jpg

IMG_3207_web.jpg

Working on editing the HD video... watch this space :D

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Good stuff

Nice report!! Hope to go myself one day! Sounds like you got the full png experience

Wow! Good detail to help those who might follow in your footsteps, though between active T.B. and plane-torching plus what sounds like substantially complicated travel arrangements and high cost I imagine that destination's appeal won't be fully 'mainstream' for awhile.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom