Pocket Installation on Wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mts0628

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All:

So, there are a bunch of ways to install a pocket on your wetsuit some good and some not. I Got one of Phil's XS Scuba Wetsuit Drysuit Pocket to install on my wetsuit, and so far so good.

Here's how I did it. I will only discuss the attachment; the adhesive is up to you. I got the Aquaseal adhesive but after looking at the size of the tube and knowing me, I opted for McNett's Neoprene Cement (in the brown can) which had more cement.

So, I didn't have a buddy help me and in this instance for measuring and marking a buddy would have proved indispensable. I put on my wetsuit, took my pocket and put it on my right hand like a mitten. I then put my right hand on my outside thigh so that the pocket would be resting where it would be permanently attached. My fingers were touching the bottom of the pocket as per instructions. I then took a paint pen (white) and marked (several times) the outside of the pocket. It took me a couple of swipes to get it right but after three times, I think I got it.

I doffed my wetsuit, touched up the corners of the marking, and then preceded to look for things to fill out the leg so that the pattern matched my pocket. I tried phone books, a cook book binder, some medical books, all with minimal success. But then I had a great idea! An ironing board! So, I busted out my ironing board, and using the tapered end, I slid my wetsuit leg up until the pattern was realtime.

Now for the pocket. I imagined that trying to press the pocket onto the suit would be kinda shaky for me, so I wanted to fill the pocket with something rectangular. Trying small books, boxes (for eBay stuff) and other squared items, I couldn't seem to get everything level. But then, as I was standing next to a box I wanted to donate, I looked down into the box and what did I see? Music CD cases- and a ton of 'em. It so happens that 5 CD cases turned sideways and stuffed in the pocket fill it out nicely, to the seams even. Another 5 CD cases and the pocket was full and perfectly rectangular.

I checked and double checked that everything mated up perfectly and then I applied my adhesive (measure twice and glue once). With the pocket boxy and the lid of the pocket folded up and out of the way, I applied about 12 pounds as downward weight to hold it enplace until the adhesive dried.

So, that was it. I hope this helps and good luck.

With kindest regards from North Carolina,
Thomas Styron

Thanks, you just give some great ideas, for some reason I have never thought of this

Ok, here it goes. Oh, please, no comments about the music (it won't be my fault if you don't have good taste), and the pink weights ARE NOT MINE! :D

So, I learned how to upload my pictures tonight as well. I dunno if the formatting is good in this thread, but you can see the pictures in my new gallery with a folder titled Wetsuit Pocket Attachment. There are titles to accompany each picture as well.

I hope this helps. Oh- one more thing: with the McNett Adhesive, apparently it soaks through when you apply it several times (as per instructions before applying the pieces together). So when you remove the CD cases, the last ones will give some resistance and the mesh for the notebook will also be glued. Not to worry though, apparently this adhesive is only effective on neoprene- plastic and mesh are easily peeled free.

Any questions, please feel free to ask; hit me up with a PM.

With kind regards,
Thomas :)

Back
Top Bottom