Point of no return on air, what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, I think the original question may have been a bit confusing. I wanted to get a feel for your own personal limit given your own experience, for instance, "if I was given an 80 with a full tank of air I would not go below xxx feet because beyond this I feel I would not be able to get back alive".

Well, I can give you 2 specific opinions from personal experience of 2 very different divers. 1st diver is a young brash fit guy in his mid twenties, diving before "tech" was established. He was diving a lot, fit, experienced for his age, comfortable in his gear. Diving with an older brother who liked to push limits. They bounced the Skycliffe wreck off Boynton Beach and hit 190' for a couple minutes on AL 80's. Not sure of the air consumption, but I know they had enough for safety stop and weren't sucking fumes.

2nd diver is a 43 year old far more experienced and educated diver, up on newer technologies and physiology, and a little more self-confident in thinking for himself. He would probably not venture much past 120-130' without a damn good reason for all the previously mentioned reasons.

You've probably figured out that both divers are the same person.:crafty:

OP's original question is begging for a reply about Rock Bottom.

"Rock Bottom" is a way of calculating the minimum pressure needed at a certain depth in order to get you and a buddy to the surface safely and with a margin of error. There's a nice web site that summarizes it that appears to be offline right now, but I found it in the google cache:

Rock Bottom and Gas Management for Recreational Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom