Polar Pro Switchblade 3/3+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arwen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone tried Polar Pro Switchblade filter for go pro? How good is it? I've found very few reviews on internet. Some of them say that it is too fragile and breaks easily. I've found one person complaining about vignetting caused by the macro lens of this filter.
Has anyone tried it? Did you like it? Pros and cons?

Arwen, I got one (my first filter) before a recent trip to Cozumel. I attached the filter via cord to the pole I used and am glad i did. For Cozumel diving the red filter worked great. Huge difference vs no filter. I tried the macro a couple times and it was OK but I need to play with it more. Cozumel had lots of strong current, the downside for videoing there is you are usually drifting and can't spend much time setting up and patiently filming. Upside is great viz and life. On a few occasions the filter came off in ripping current or the macro flopped around a bit - cord saved the filter from loss. No vignetting issues or fragility issues...I probably could wish it stuck on lens a little better and lens had a bit more resistance to swinging but really that was mostly major current issue and my rank amateur status.

I posted some of the Cozumel videos on you tube...(kelly jo kelly..) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw2weTFigqo

Has anyone tried Polar Pro Switchblade filter for go pro? How good is it? I've found very few reviews on internet. Some of them say that it is too fragile and breaks easily. I've found one person complaining about vignetting caused by the macro lens of this filter.
Has anyone tried it? Did you like it? Pros and cons?
Hi Arwen,
It's JennPenn from Backscatter. Since it appears tyou are in the market for a red filter and macro lens for your GoPro, by any chance have you checked out ours from Backscatter? Our frame and hinges - the FLIP3.1 system - are made from rugged aluminum, and because the hinges allow you to "flip" your filter(s) and/or lens into place or out of the way, they are securely attached. Also, our macro lens, the MACROMATE MINI, is made from high quality optical glass and aluminum. Here is a link to the products mentioned if you are interested:
FLIP3.1 MacroMate Mini Combo Package

And more info on our new MACROMATE MINI:
Backscatter Macromate Mini Underwater Macro Lens for GoPro with Flip Filter System

Thanks for your consideration!
JennPenn

Lamarpaulski, your video looks really nice. Colors are vivid really. What depth was that? Did you use any additional light?
Thanks for warning about attachment problems, by the way.

Backscatter seems to be a good filter, but too pricy for me.

Depths were 70 to 90 feet...20 to 30m...visibility was over 40m so pretty good lighting and sand is white in Coz......no additional light except on nite dive...octopus video...that was morph back up with video head (love it)...that's also on same YouTube channel...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 12th, 2014 at 05:02 PM ----------

I agree back scatter looks top notch...just need the $.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2014 at 06:05 PM ----------

Arwen...if you use lights be aware its easy to get too much red...the night video was without a filter..Morph video light provided the color. same goes in real shallow or topside videos the red gets over-done.

No I am not planing on using lights yet. I asked just because it looked so bright and vivid. So I assumed it was very shallow or lighted with additional lights.
So now I am encouraged to buy the switchblade.
I'd really like Backscatter, but to pay for red filter system half the price I paid for a camera itself... well, it's a bit crazy... just for a couple pieces of colored glass and a hinge.

Yes the gopro does a lot for the money...but the accessories can cost more and they are not marvels of technology either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom