Polaroid Housings for Nex Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A friend suggested I look into one of the NEX series of cameras, as I'm looking at getting into underwater photography, and although I don't wanna spend too much, I do want something I can grow with.

So, I've been looking at the Nex-3 or the Nex-5. I haven't been able to find too many housings for them though. I've been looking at the Polaroid ones on Amazon. Only thing I'm wondering is, does the letter matter?

I've only seen the Nex-3 or the Nex-3N, while the housing I've found says it's simply for Nex-3.
(Polaroid Dive Rated Waterproof Underwater Housing Case For Sony Alpha NEX-3 Digital Camera WITH A 16mm Lens: Amazon.ca: Electronics)

While the Nex-5R is the only one I've seen on various camera websites, the housing says Nex-5N.
(Polaroid Dive Rated Waterproof Underwater Housing Case For Sony Alpha NEX-5N Digital Camera WITH A 16mm Lens: Amazon.ca: Electronics)

Has anyone used these cameras with the housings and would know?
Any info greatly appreciated!!!

I don't wanna spend too much, I do want something I can grow with.

Those two elements will not go together :wink:

Looks like that housing has a fixed port. If that's the case, then you'll be stuck with the one lens, which means you can forgot about close-in shots, you'll gave a dedicated wide-angle housing.

Nauticam makes the housing you want. It will allow you to change ports and use a variety of lenses, which in turn, will allow you to take photos a little closer in, and with less distortion at the edges of the photo.

Search Results : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Backscatter :: Underwater Photo :: Housings

Backscatter :: Underwater Photo :: Housings

If you're new to underwater photography, you may want to spend a year or two shooting a compact camera. While I have some disagreement with the following article, it's a good comparison of what's currently available: Underwater Camera Articles: Best Underwater Compact Cameras for 2013

I think the cream of the compact crop is:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Canon Powershot S110
Sony DSC-RX100
Canon G15

I'm currently leaning towards the G15, but my needs may be different from yours. I would consider calling Reef or Backscatter and chatting with their sales staff.

Nauticam or Aquapazza make housings for NEX

Hmmmm thanks for the info Hetland.
Those housings are definitely out of my price range for right now. Looking into a few compact cameras now, thanks for the link!

I have one of these housings now for my NEX-5n. It is specifically for that model. I have had it on 1 40 foot dive and the controls are hard to work at that depth even. The video button doesn't line up. The shutter release works fine and I got some decent pictures with that. Because of those problems I have been looking at a better housing. I find the 2 housing mentioned to be top of the line but very pricey. I'm looking at a 10 Bar housing which is still pricey but not as bad as the other 2. Most of the reviews I have found sound good. I posted a thread a few days ago asking if anyone has any updates or new info on these housing but no one has replied.

Back
Top Bottom