Pole Spear vs. spear gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just before surfacing, wrap a steel cable around their prop! Little worms!
I wonder if that inner tube idea is feasible. That's what I wa planning on using for a tow platform.

No, you do the steel cable trick to any boats that buzz within 100' of diver-down flags.

And speaking of tubes as tow platforms, I saw one guy post a design in the DIY forum where he put a car tube around a milk crate or bucket and keeps it in his trunk. The rope is coiled up in the crate along with an optional anchor and a dive flag. When he gets to the site, he lifts the flag into place and inflates the tube with his tank or something and it clings to the milk crate which he then tows out by the rope. When he collects goodies, he surfaces and puts them in the crate.
I think he even marked off the 15' point so he holds onto it for safety stops.

I think it's more sporting. Especially if you are hunting schnapper, which are very fast. That's my opinion.

Cheers Ears

Why not tie the drybox off to the line, so you don't have to carry it on the dive at least?

How about adding a second flag that says not hunting?

Or how about just ignoring them? "Sorry, I didn't feel the pull on the line!"

I can't believe they actually make you surface. DUI check points, checking inspection stickers, etc. That's one thing, but to make someone come up from a dive, just to see what they're up to is F****d up. You're interupting my dive! Depending on how deep I was and how long I was down, I may not be able to go right back in. It's rude, unprofessional, and inconsiderate. Check anything you want, FINE but at least wait until I'm ready to come up on my own.

And then to give someone crap for doing a safety stop!!! F U! Remember "To Serve and Protect"? I'm expected to risk my safety by shooting right up and not doing a stop?

Or how about I blast him right in the eyes with my Terkel and see how they like it for a change?

Advantages of a spear gun:

1) you can shoot yourself in the leg very easily, without the additional help of your buddy;

2) you get one shot, then the game is over, if you miss;

3) its easier for your buddy to shoot you, compared with sticking you with a pole spear;

4) you tend to quickly clear the water of any other divers, once they see your speargun, leaving more game for yourself.

I have 2 6' pole spears, a jbl explorer 22, and a ABBiller 48 special woody.
i use the ABB when im on a dive in good vis going for large fish or shark.
the jbl for kinda cruggy to good vis and use it for large to small fish usually fish that are "hiding" from you and you just put it up to them and fire.
poles i dont use very often .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom