Poling night dive: take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Friday night:

Spectre and I had been to the Chester Poling once before for a night dive to 80-90 feet with his buddy Matt, and had everything under the sun go wrong short of anyone actually getting hurt. We were much better prepared this time, and were psyched to finally get it right. At the last minute, it came to light that we were going to be buddied up with some single diver we had never met, and while we were gearing up at the site, he slipped into the water without going over the dive plan with us, other than to note that we'd stay together and head for the mooring line when one of us hit 1200psi on our gauge.

Lesson of the day: Pay more attention to new dive buddies, and talk to them to make sure they're at ease. Having never done a deep dive at night in the open ocean, he was clinging to the ladder out of anxiety, and it didn't register with me. When he moved to the downline, I figured he was ready to go. Really, he probably could have used some encouraging chit-chat and supervision.

We entered the water, fired up our lights, and began a controlled descent along the line. New dude went first, I think, with Jeff following, and me in the rear/top. I was pretty excited, and taking deep breaths, so having recently adjusted my weight, I was too bouyant with full lungs at the surface. Shallower breaths allowed me to descend easily, but last in line. As I caught up to the lights ahead of me, everything seemed to be going well (even my bouyancy... I didn't touch the line once after leaving the surface), until an enormous cloud of bubbles surrounded the other two divers. I couldn't tell what was going on, but they seemed to be making a rapid ascent from 45 feet, and I could only see one light. I ascended with them, but under control, and opted to blow off the usual safety stop. We were only two minutes into the dive, so I didn't figure the risk of decompression sickness was very high yet, and wanted to be able to assist if necessary.

At the surface, new guy was already clinging to the boat's anchor line, and, it seemed, trying to climb it. He was clearly panicy, and had completely lost his nut on the way down. He aborted the dive, and we all went back to the boat. On the way, I asked Jeff if he wanted to continue, and he declined for two reasons: 1, he had dropped his light when new guy freaked out under him and crashed into him, and 2, he hadn't realized we were ascending until he reached the surface, which is definately no good. I wasn't into diving solo, so I called it off and removed everything I didn't need for snorkelling behind the boat.

I didn't expect to see anything while doing that, but there was an amazingly high concentration of bioluminescent plankton and comb jellyfish that would light up whenever they were disturbed. As Jeff and I (he wasn't THAT discombobulated) glided through the darkness, it looked like there were trails of glitter following tracer-like behind every motion we made. THAT was cool!

One of the other divers surfaced with Jeff's light too, which was nice.

When we got back, Jeff had collected his composure, and we did a shore dive from Stage Fort Park in Gloucester. We found some cool rock reef, and saw a ton of lobster and skates, as well as several sea robins and a large ocean pout.

in emergency situations... :) Too bad he didn't have the courtesy to freak at the END OF THE DIVE like me... :D

Was he ok? What was his problem in case I have the same one someday...

he was okay, except for badly wounded pride. He mentioned repeatedly that he felt bad about ruining the dive for us, but hey... it happens.

His problem was basicly that he was doing a dive that, while not necessarily beyond his abilities, was beyond his comfort level. His anxiety built to the boiling point, and he freaked out. The solution? Either talk about it until you're comfortable, or abort the dive.

I blame myself in part. I was still thinking in terms of "Jeff and I diving, and this guy tagging along" instead of "Jeff, (Mike? Mark?), and I diving together." That I don't know the guy's name is a sign in my mind that all was not well. I should have discussed his experience more, let him know how much fun it would be, and at least have made sure we were all on the same page. I never gave him the opportunity to express any reservations, and I knew (though didn't register) he was anxious.

Another good learning experience. A few more bad dives on the Polling, and I'll have it down! :wink:

Seriously though, I highly recommend Fran's charters on Daybreaker. If anyone with AOW wants to go, I'm game any night.

I would definately be up for a Night Dive on the Poling. My only request is that it be set up for a Friday/Saturday night as I have a fairly long drive back. However, weeknights are possible if necessary.

Dan

Same story, different camera angle...

We're hanging out waiting for MSilvia to get there. He had called to let me know that he was going to be late. I communicated that to the captain, and we just all got ready while we waited [it's a 10 minute boat ride, or there abouts].

A car pulled up. The Captain says "he's here... lets go help with the stuff!". I tell him it's not him, but it's someone definately coming to the boat. "Hmm... it's been a few weeks, but I don't think he'd change that much in that amount of time", I thought.

It was the 'random 7th diver' showing up. I assumed he was with one of the other teams, so I didn't even think about it. Matt showed up 26 seconds later, and we got him on the boat. I helped Matt get his gear together, and we talked dive plan.

I figured with Matt getting there late we were going to end up being last in the water... no big deal. So Matt gets all his stuff together, and we start wrestling into our rigs. I look up and I see this figure on the other side of the boat staring at me. "Uh? You diving with us?" I ask. "Yep", he replied. Matt says "we're going to hit the anchor line at 1200 psi, ok?". "Yep" he replies, stands up and goes and jumps into the water.

We're still wrestling when the guy is at the ladder. "You ok?" sez the captain. "Not really", he replies. The captain explains the use of the drift line to relax with, and talks to him for a while. The guy says he's ok, and heads over and grabs onto the line.

So now I'm figuring I'm going from dive buddy to baby sitter... but whatever. I jump in the water, and I talk to him a bit about plan..."When we first get down, we're going to group up on the deck, and get ourselves comfortable". He agrees that is a good idea [actually says "I'd like to stay there until we get comfortable"... in hind-sight that comment should have signalled me.. but whatever]. I then state, "Early in the dive, as long as everyone is comfortable, you and Matt are going to wait for me for a minute while I drop to the sand. I've been having a free-flow issue with my alternate that only occurs over 100 fsw. We did some stuff to it and I want to test it out". "Ok." He replies.

Still way not enough time for a real dive plan, like ascent ordering, where to hang, how long, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc... I keep my eye on him to make sure he looks relaxed as I wait for Matt.

Matt comes in the water, he's ok. I'm ok. I look directly into this guys eyes and ask if he's ok. "Yes". "Are you sure?". "Yep". Ok.

We start down the drift line towards the anchor line. We get to the moring line no problem. We start down the moring line...

I didn't see Matt's light for a sec, so I glanced back... he's fine. I look back forward... and this guy is turning around. I start for him, and loose concentration for a sec. I reach in my thigh pocket and pull out my backup light as the slight concentration loss resulted in my dropping my light.

I got to him, and he's trying to tell me something. I looked into his eyes and started to try and calm him down.... I realize I'm off the line, and I start looking for the line. I look up and I notice the surface is 10 ft above...

I reach the surface, and this guy is basically clawing up the anchor line. "I started to panic" he says, "I'm going to abort".

The captain looks at me and asks if I'm ok. I say I am. He says we can go back down, that's cool. I think about it for a second, and I say "Nope. I'm aborting". "We've got plenty of time... why not hang out, calm down a bit, and see how you feel afterwards".

"Uh, no. I'm perfectly calm, I'm just not going back down". I already had two strikes on me. The first was that my primary light was sitting in the sand 100 feet below us. The second was that I just ascended from 45 fsw to 0 in less than 20 seconds and I [the important part] Had no idea I was doing it. I really didn't feel like figuring out what strike 3 was going to be.

So yes... We still have a night dive Poling curse...

IT WILL NOT BEAT ME!!!

I would like to go also if there is another trip. I live in spfid might be able to hook up with NEWrecks, nicer ride with 2 :)

livestodive once bubbled...
I would like to go also if there is another trip

No offense, but if you've read the reports from this and last time, you'll hopefully understand the answer.

I don't know you, and I've not dove with you before. I definately wouldn't be comfortable having you along.

However we're going to be out there next saturday, during the day.

Check out the thread and see if there are any more spots on the boat if your interested....

I understand, if there is room on the boat I will ask a buddy to go with me. That way we could go and not cause you any problems. He has over a k in dives including the doria. I myself have around 150. If this would be ok post a date and I will ask him.

I work weekends so its very hard for me to go when you have most of your trips. Thats why the poling nite dive appealed to me.

I have seen the daybreaker at halfway rock about 3 weeks ago. Do they have a web site? Would you mind posting an tel # if they don't have a web site.

TIA
Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom