Poll Drysuit Socks Or Attached Boots

What Drysuit foot do you recommend, Sock or Attached Boot

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only have one drysuit; my first; built by Ursuit for Deep6. I opted for the socks, because I knew I would be travelling; using the suit in wildly varying conditions. Besides all the other reasons already listed, I'm glad I have the socks because I have needed to turn the drysuit inside out to get it completely dry on most of my dives....not because it leaks, but because I'm sweating enough at some point in the dives or the surface interval to get it damp....especially deep down in the legs and feet. I did use two weeks ago in the Pacific North West at Keystone Jetty; the socks inside oversize wetsuit booties with a reasonably hard sole worked well for tramping down and back on the rocks for the shore entry and exit. The drysuit didn't leak at all in the November Whidbey Island water temps, but it was still damp enough in the legs and inside the wetsuit socks that I was glad I could completely turn it inside out to dry.

Started with the old DUI "turbo" sole which is like a sock with a minimal rubber sole on the bottom only. I tried that a few times using different techniques and fins then decided to have full boots attached. I went to DRIS in person and selected a boot - I ended up with the USIA Ultimate Replacement Drysuit Boot. This boot fits and performs exactly how I wanted it to. I can walk to the entry point no problem. They are warm. They stay on my feet nicely. I use turtle fins that have a huge foot pocket. Best of luck on your mission.
I did exactly the same thing. Except I mailed my suit to them, and had it back within 2 weeks. I hated the DUI turbo soles, but love the USIA drysuit boots.

When I get around to ordering another drysuit, which will probably be a very long time, I plan to do boots again. The sizing is difficult since we tend to load up on nice warm socks. So my plan is to order the suit but have them send me a couple different sizes of boots before building it. Pick the one I like the best and send everything back with the instructions of "use these". I am still a fan of an attached boot, but it does have to fit right. If they fit wrong, dry socks are better as they are more forgiving is sizing.

Thanks to everyone that responded, and took the poll. It really helped me, and I'm sure other divers new to drysuits.

Sharing experience and getting advice from other divers is the best part of ScubaBoard. Everyone benefits, its awesome.

In case anyone is interested, I ordered my Drysuit, and I'm getting a DUI FLX Extreme with integrated boots, turbo tec.

Thanks to everyone that responded, and took the poll. It really helped me, and I'm sure other divers new to drysuits.

Sharing experience and getting advice from other divers is the best part of ScubaBoard. Everyone benefits, its awesome.

In case anyone is interested, I ordered my Drysuit, and I'm getting a DUI FLX Extreme with integrated boots, turbo tec.
That is a great suit, you won't be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom