poll: drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started my drysuit diving career with a Diamond frint entry tri-lam. It was an excellent suit with heavier construction and zipper than a DUI TLS-350 and a cut that was a bit more streamlined.

I have over the years used Scubapro trilams and DUI trilams before finally having to borrow a neoprene suit. It was a very enlightening experience and it was hard to eat over a decade's worth of crow with regard to trilams versus neoprene suits, but I found the neoprene suit to be superior in warmth, streamlining and bouyancy control.

I now own both an Atlan and a pair of O'neil neoprene drysuits. Both are excellent suits and offer significant advantages over a trilam:

1. Much better streamlining - The natural stretch of the fabric means a neoprene suitt can have a much trimmer cut with no wrinkles or sags to have to push through the water.
2. Less air movement - the snug fit allows you to swim and maneuver into positions that would result in all the air rushing to your feet in a tri-lam, but it is a non issue in a neoprene suit. It swims very much like a wet suit and the trnasition from wet suit to drysuit is consequently much easier.
3. More warmth - the neoprene has inherent insulation equal to a 7mm wet suit in addition to any under garments. It feels much warmer than a trilam in my experience, even at depths to 150 feet, despite rumors to the contrary that compression of the neoprene makes them colder than a trilam. I should add that I do frequent ice dives and cold water dives with bottom temps in the 35-39 dregree range at 100-150 feet.
4. Less squeeze - with a neoprene suit you do not get the same sharp and apinful squeeze that you get with a trilam. Consequently you can comfortably dive with much less air in the suit.
5. Bouyancy traits - given the snugger fit and the need for less air to reduce squeeze combined with the inherent insulation of the suit and the ability to uise thinner undergarments, you end up with much less air in the suit, so th weight required is not significantly greater than with a trilam.
6. Cost - I paid $150 for a well used Atlan neoprene suit but have since put well over 100 dives on it on working dives that are potentially harder on the suit than the average rec dive. I paid $450 for a new O'Neil and then picked up another essentially new O'Neil for $250. Even at full retail they are about 1/3rd the cost of a good trilam suit. I have over 3200 dives on one O'neil and it is still going strong, so even if it does not last as long as a trilam it has lasted more than long enough to have a much lower per dive cost.
7. Durability - I did tear an improperly taped neoprene neck seal once, but the repair was easily made in under an hour and has held up ever since and in general neoprene seals are very durable. Latex wrist seals are fairly easy to seal, but a latex neck seal can be difficult to change and is in any event comparatively expensive. As an added bonus, neoprense seals insulate your wrists and neck so they do not feel cold as can occur with latex seals.

My neoprene dry suits are rear entry, but with the snug fit and short across the back of the shoulder zipper, it is still fairly easy to get into one and zip it without assistance - you just need a d-ring tied or taped to a suitable shoulder high upright suchas a ladder on deck or a mirror or door frame on the side of your vehicle. Just hook the zipper pull to the d-ring and then carefully turn yourself around to zip the suit. It takes a couple of attmepts to get the right feel for the required tension, but once mastered it is a snap. Getting out of the suit is very easy and only requires a three foot gear line to enable you pull the zipper across your back.

The pay off of the back entry zipper is the snugger fit through the elimination of a long or telescoping torso required with a front zip suit. After years of using self entry front zip suits, I am no longer a fan of them as they compromise streamlining in the water.

I'm still fairly new to drysuit diving so take this for what it's worth: I have both a Bare Nex-Gen Pro bi-lam suit and an O'Neill 3mm compressed neoprene suit. Of the two I currently prefer the latter, even though they've both worked fine and both have kept me dry.

Pros (to O'Neill): Snugger fit, stretchier and more flexible, warmer, more streamlined so swims better, less gas needed in suit makes it easier/funner to dive.

Cons: Heavier (especially when wet) and takes longer to dry.

The basic problem I see with shell suits (tri-lams, bi-lams) is that since they are not as warm as (compressed) neoprene suits and don't stretch you need a looser fit to accommodate thicker undergarments and for flexibility. But a looser fit causes more air trapping and decreases your streamlining, and you'll need more gas in the suit to go with the thicker undergarments so you'll have a bigger bubble to manage.

Also, I've read many of DA Aquamaster's posts about drysuits and he's given me good advice. His points make sense and have been re-enforced by my own experiences.

I have not tried a non-compressed neoprene suit though, but the way I see it they would only be warmer than compressed neoprene suits in shallow depths. On deeper dives they would get compressed by the water pressure to roughly the same thickness as the pre-compressed suits so then you'd lose any benefit in warmth from them, in theory at least (I'm assuming pre-compressed suits get further compressed very little as depth increases).

My drysuit wish list:
1) Heavy-duty zipper. Why are these so rare lately? The zipper is probably the most expensive part of the suit to replace. Why not have one that lasts much longer?
2) Butt pads. A must for sliding down barnacle-covered rocks. Plus they look cool...If they existed.
3) Some kind of cheap, replaceable, slip-on boot sole. Not everyone dives from a boat. We hike to get to the water dam*it!

I have been using a DUI 200 for commercial diving for over 6 years. I've ripped cuffs and repaired them on the spot with simple tire inner tube patches and dove many hours using this patch.
I've had many, many suits over 30yrs of diving but only after owning a DUI 200 I found out a suit can be dry after using it for more than a year (about 700-900hrs underwater). I also own another DUI 200 for standy by. It's darn near new. I work most of the time in black water so getting hung up on wreakage or nails and other sharp "things" is regular. (Using surface supplied air/gas). I've had Viking, Nokia, Posidon, and many more. I even worked in the old MK5 and Yokohama gear(Hat and breast-plate gear) in my early years.
I have had NO complaints with the DUI 200, it's been the best suit I have ever used.........

for those of you who may be newer members, and/or who experience problems drying your drysuits, allow me to reintroduce the 'Dalton Drysuit Drier" - photos are in the thread below:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=191036&highlight=drysuit+blower+fan

We've morphed this device a bit, adding different (more powerful) blowers and PVC pipe attachments on the other two uprights to dry lift bags and rock boots, but on the whole you can put nearly any drysuit on the uprights at all and leave the thing running overnight and it will generally be dry by the morning. If you drive to your dive destinations in a van, you'll often have room to throw it in with the rest of your gear and while it takes up space in the hotel room it cuts down on the stank! :wink:

Works for me....your mileage may vary.

Happy with my Whites trilam. Price was right and I can get into and out of it by myself (if I have to).

That's a really nice feature in a drysuit. I can get in and out of my Mobby's entirely by myself. I have to have help with my Diving Concepts suit, which has a diagonal front zip. I can't quite reach the tabs to get the zipper started, and the angle is just wrong at the very end. A lot of people I know have to have some help with the front zip, "self-donning" suits. Of course, that's yet another reason why this is a buddy sport!

swankenstein:
My drysuit wish list:
3) Some kind of cheap, replaceable, slip-on boot sole. Not everyone dives from a boat. We hike to get to the water dam*it!

This is EXACTLY why I didn't get attached boots on my suit. Just today, I bought some Altama knock-off jungle boots in all black. Look sharp, fit well, and suitable for hiking through the nastiest stuff you could imagine. I don't know how long they will last, but at $20-25 a pair, I'm not going to sweat it. For boat diving, a pair of knock-off Chuck Taylors at Walmart is $14.95.

For DOC INTREPID's write up: I am not understanding the whole "drysuit drier" thing. Does it take that long even with a drier to dry a suit? I just hang mine and it is dry in a couple of hours.. if that. I saw a drier once that acts as a hanger and drier combo, thus drying from the inside-out. My suit need the inside dried after a dive LOL but suits in general should not. Maybe if one dries their suit and then stows it in a bag due to lack of room.
I don't want to chance mildew or smell from a suit enclosed in a bag unless I am compacting my gear for the boat or carpooling.

Les:
For DOC INTREPID's write up: I am not understanding the whole "drysuit drier" thing. Does it take that long even with a drier to dry a suit? I just hang mine and it is dry in a couple of hours.. if that. I saw a drier once that acts as a hanger and drier combo, thus drying from the inside-out. My suit need the inside dried after a dive LOL but suits in general should not. Maybe if one dries their suit and then stows it in a bag due to lack of room.
I don't want to chance mildew or smell from a suit enclosed in a bag unless I am compacting my gear for the boat or carpooling.

I tend to lay my suit out, turned inside out. Inside is dry in less than an hour. Turn it back right side out, and that's done in a couple of hours if that. It's humid here in Florida.

I don't know that I agree that suits should not need the inside dried out after a dive. Mine always does and I want it that way. I know that I am sweating before my dives. I want my undergarments to pull that sweat off my skin. When they do that, they have to transfer that sweat somewhere, and that is to the inside of my suit. If my suit is dry, it means my undergarments have performed poorly, and have not transferred the sweat.

Back
Top Bottom