Poll: Have you ever experienced a Reverse Block?

Have you ever experienced a reverse block

• No, I've been lucky and heve never had to endure this.

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Sinuses have been blocked on ascent, hurt like HECK!

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Ears have been blocked on ascent, Oohh the pain!

Votes: 20 29.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
In an earlier thread, a respondent mentioned that a poll on the subject would be interesting.

Here it is. Multiple responces are allowed.

Have you ever experienced a reverse block either in your sinuses or ears?

Don't know how to edit text in poll. If a moderator can spot it and fix, that'd be great.

Yeah, I've had a reverse block in both ears for about the past week. Not fun.

Ben

I have not had the problem when diving as the pressure in the sinus normally blows things back out before things start to hurt.

But I have had the problem flying once. I took a Supercub (a small unpressurized aircraft) to 14,000' once over some weather and a mountain range and discovered I could not descend due to a plugged sinus. Even a very gradual descent did not help and unlike diving, the problem here was that I did not have unlimited fuel and had to descend. I really screwed up that particular sinus cavity and it took over a month to finally heal.

I have had the pleasure :frown2: of a reverse tooth squeeze. Ouch!

seen it rather not experience it! I will take the word of others in this case.

I've had a reverse ear block. It wasn't very fun. Not very painful fortunatly, just very concerning. It felt like alot of pressure in my ear. I stayed at my safety stop forever trying to get it to pass, and when I was finally on the boat I took a ton of meds to try to clear up fast. Finally I heard this slow hiss as my head finally felt normal.

Been there, done that, don't want to go back...

Reverse sinus block in Coz once, started around 30'. Sat in the boat for twenty minutes feeling like a spike was in my forehead until it opened up. Just glad it didn't lead to anything serious. Always carry a little bottle of dristan in my save-a-dive kit since then, just in case.

We have thumbed the last two weekends due to my cold and then my GF catching it off me, grrr the frustration of it all, had to cancel a boat trip weekend too!

Hopefully we can get out diving in a week or so when this has all cleared up.

When i did my OW cert dives i got blocks and reverse blocks quite a bit, which was a pain, gotten better since!!

happend the first time last Sept. in STX at about 70 fsw. Hurt like hell. Decended about 10 feet and stayed there for several minutes. Made a gradual ascent and did not work. Tried a second time and was successful. Sinus and right eye were affected. Don't want that again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom