Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands?

Poll: What are the top tier regulator brands (as noted)?

• APEKS

Votes: 106 52.5%
  • Aqualung

Votes: 45 22.3%
  • Atomic

Votes: 94 46.5%
  • Dive Rite

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Mares

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Scubapro

Votes: 121 59.9%
  • Sherwood

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Tusa

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Zeagle

Votes: 10 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Doc...

I think I have to refer back to my original thread...it's like asking...who makes the best small car for under $30,000...based on performance...comfort...ruggedness...cost (purchase and maintenance)...and brand warranty and customer service...

The answer is as broad as it is wide...is an entry level Mercedes or BMW any better than a comparable Toyota or Nissan...

Based on your five point considerations...is ScubaPro any better than Deep Six...not for my money...

I've always personally felt that when servicing regulators...whether it's 1st stages or second stages...fewer parts is always better than more parts...and being able to use standard tools is always better than having to use brand specific specialty tools...

A Poseidon Jet-Stream second stage has only a few parts...and only a few service parts...some ''other'' second stage regs...including service parts have upwards to 50 pieces...just plain silly...

Take the service courses...become self reliant...you'll discover very quickly the real meaning of ''Top Tier''...

Dive Safe...Warren

Good posting and some worthy experienced advice. Thanks!

I see Scubapro seems to be rated highly. I am new to all this. But I have had several people, unrelated to one another, tell me that Scubapro Warranty and Customer service is very poor and that once you buy a SP item you are on your own, with no support. If that is true why rate it so high? If not true why are people saying that? It seems odd that several people would say that without some justification.

I see Scubapro seems to be rated highly. I am new to all this. But I have had several people, unrelated to one another, tell me that Scubapro Warranty and Customer service is very poor and that once you buy a SP item you are on your own, with no support. If that is true why rate it so high? If not true why are people saying that? It seems odd that several people would say that without some justification.

Floats, I’ll try to reply, based on what I’ve learned from the replies from this thread and elsewhere. I relatively new to this too, and that’s the reason I started this tread.

At one time Scubapro had a parts for life free program and recently they abandoned that program and their commentment to customers on the same. As a result, many customers are not happy with Scubapro over this. But Scubapro undeniably makes good equipment that holds up well.

There was a lot of good dialog on this thread about service intervals, costs and what’s actually needed. The manufacturer’s approach to service varies significantly across the industry. I heard one should not buy a regulator based on any service warranty, as they ultimately aren’t worth much. It’s most important to have access to good service options, wherever you’re diving.

There is one new company Deep6 that has a unique straight forward approach to service, where they offer rebuild instructions and easily obtainable service parts to owners, which I understand divers like. This approach is attractive and uniquely different than anyone else in the industry.

Hopefully, the above is a unique representation of SB memeber comments on this thread. Let’s see what further comments we get.

Floats, I’ll try to reply, based on what I’ve learned from the replies from this thread and elsewhere. I relatively new to this too, and that’s the reason I started this tread.

At one time Scubapro had a parts for life free program and recently they abandoned that program and their commentment to customers on the same. As a result, many customers are not happy with Scubapro over this. But Scubapro undeniably makes good equipment that holds up well.

There was a lot of good dialog on this thread about service intervals, costs and what’s actually needed. The manufacturer’s approach to service varies significantly across the industry. I heard one should not buy a regulator based on any service warranty, as they ultimately aren’t worth much. It’s most important to have access to good service options, wherever you’re diving.

There is one new company Deep6 that has a unique straight forward approach to service, where they offer rebuild instructions and easily obtainable service parts to owners, which I understand divers like. This approach is attractive and uniquely different than anyone else in the industry.

Hopefully, the above is a unique representation of SB memeber comments on this thread. Let’s see what further comments we get.

Doc...Floats...others...

I've always tried not to dis someone elses choices...most folks will buy what they like for reasons that suit them...I previously mentioned the two piles of dive gear most divers have...the large useless pile...and the small useful pile...there's lots of purchasing mistakes made in this industry and lots of reasons why...a lot of the mistakes have to do with buying the wrong product from the wrong dealer...and not asking enough questions...

If a dealer ever says to you...''you ask a lot of questions''...that should be the last thing he or she says before you turn around and walk out the door...

Over and above brand choice...dealer/retailer choice is paramount...

In an effort to put money in the till...some retailers will sell brands that they are not factory authorized to sell...or certified to service...some will resort to going through ''back-door'' sources to get the buyers choice in the store...and then offer you all kinds of reasons why they don't want the gear back in the shop the first time you have a problem...on the other side of the coin...there's the dealers who will attempt to service everything whether they are certified to service that particular product or not...and one is just as bad as the other...

If your ''local dealer'' doesn't normally stock your desired product and provide ''all'' required support...certified or otherwise...stay away from that particular product and find something else...remember your dealer is your ''master link'' to warranty...

Touching on warranty...most manufacturers have on-line product registration...and completing purchaser product registration is very important...especially for the expensive gear...regs/BCD's/computers/dry-suits...etc...most manufacturers will not allow the products to be registered for warranty if the selling dealer was not authorized by the manufacturer to retail the products...where you buy is as important as what you buy...this is one of the primary reasons there are so many complaints about...''no after sales support''...no manufacturer authorization means no support...

If you don't mind boxing up and return shipping your regs in for service...you can't go wrong with a US based retailer like Dive Gear Express...they sell a wide range of brands...have excellent house brand products...know all the answers to all the questions...and most importantly are factory authorized to service what they sell...

Dive Safe...
Warren...

Doc...Floats...others...

I've always tried not to dis someone elses choices...most folks will buy what they like for reasons that suit them...I previously mentioned the two piles of dive gear most divers have...the large useless pile...and the small useful pile...there's lots of purchasing mistakes made in this industry and lots of reasons why...a lot of the mistakes have to do with buying the wrong product from the wrong dealer...and not asking enough questions...

If a dealer ever says to you...''you ask a lot of questions''...that should be the last thing he or she says before you turn around and walk out the door...

Over and above brand choice...dealer/retailer choice is paramount...

In an effort to put money in the till...some retailers will sell brands that they are not factory authorized to sell...or certified to service...some will resort to going through ''back-door'' sources to get the buyers choice in the store...and then offer you all kinds of reasons why they don't want the gear back in the shop the first time you have a problem...on the other side of the coin...there's the dealers who will attempt to service everything whether they are certified to service that particular product or not...and one is just as bad as the other...

If your ''local dealer'' doesn't normally stock your desired product and provide ''all'' required support...certified or otherwise...stay away from that particular product and find something else...remember your dealer is your ''master link'' to warranty...

Touching on warranty...most manufacturers have on-line product registration...and completing purchaser product registration is very important...especially for the expensive gear...regs/BCD's/computers/dry-suits...etc...most manufacturers will not allow the products to be registered for warranty if the selling dealer was not authorized by the manufacturer to retail the products...where you buy is as important as what you buy...this is one of the primary reasons there are so many complaints about...''no after sales support''...no manufacturer authorization means no support...

If you don't mind boxing up and return shipping your regs in for service...you can't go wrong with a US based retailer like Dive Gear Express...they sell a wide range of brands...have excellent house brand products...know all the answers to all the questions...and most importantly are factory authorized to service what they sell...

Dive Safe...
Warren...

Well said Warren! That clarification is helpful, for all, even if just a reminder.

I know you said you don’t like to dis others, but would you comment on the Deep 6 service model. I’d like to hear your associated thoughts.

Well said Warren! That clarification is helpful, for all, even if just a reminder.

I know you said you don’t like to dis others, but would you comment on the Deep 6 service model. I’d like to hear your associated thoughts.

Hey Doc...

All of my rebreather bailout systems are ''Deep 6''...

I like the products...the basic design is tried and true...and has been available in similar fashion under different monikers for a long time...the regs are extremely durable...I'll put them up against anything on the market...and like most dive gear...being consumable...are inexpensive to replace down the road...this fashion/style/type of scuba regulator will always be available as one brand or another...currently it's Deep 6...

I like their sales model...if the buyer is a qualified service tech...with all the tools and equipment it's the best way to go...

I favor the Deep 6 version being marketed and sold through...DGX...Dive Gear Express...a service qualified purchaser has the option of servicing his/her own regs...or sending them in to DGX for service...

In fairness to everyone else...the above is my opinion...suiting my needs...

Prior to the rebreather...my primary regs were Poseidon Jet-Stream...again...purchased through DGX...serviced by me...from service supplies purchased through DGX...

Dive Safe...
Warren...

Not sure of the objective for your survey, but thought I would point out that your results are probably biased towards the availability and market penetration of the brands within the Scubaboard population, rather than measuring a true head to head comparison. for instance, I can provide knowledgeable feedback on 3-4 of these brands, but have little if any direct knowledge or experience on most of the others.

”Top Tier” Regulator Brand Poll Final Report:

This thread’s poll closed today with 87 replies and 4630 views. Thanks to everyone for your informative posts..... impressive! Approximately 137 people cast votes (410 total votes) for their “three top tier brand’s with regulators less than $600”. Four (4) brands received the large majority of available voting, so they are appropriately named our “top tier” regulator brands.

89% voted for Scubapro
78% voted for Apeks
69% voted for Atomic
33% voted for Aqualung

There is one brand, Deep 6, which was unintentionally omitted from the poll. SBers appropriately commented about their omission and have shared many supportive posts and comments. Based on this information and other related SB threads, I do believe Deep 6 deserves to be considered a top tier brand, with one reservation. As a new brand, Deep 6 already has a dedicated and growing customer base for their regulators, but apparently they are having some manufacturing growing pains keeping product in stock.

Since this poll was to be based on brands with regulators less than $600, I thought our top tier brand’s number of regulator models, less than $600, would be of interest within this summary.

6 of 10 (60%) for Apeks
5 of 14 (36%) for Aqualung
5 of 11 (45%) for Scubapro
2 of 10 (20%) for Atomic
1 of 1 (100%) for Deep 6

Reader comments have been very informative, which leads me to believe these poll results primarily apply only for the North American market, as prices, service and availability can be significantly different elsewhere.

Thanks for everyone’s thread participation and informative contributions.

Back
Top Bottom