Polynesia - Which dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm going on the Tahitian Princess cruise on the Polynesia and Cook Islands itinerary on Feb 15th for 10 days.

We'll be going to:
Tahiti
Huahine
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Raiatea
Bora Bora
Moorea

Which islands should I definitely dive at?
Which dive sites should I try to request?
Which islands/dive sites should I skip diving at?

There is no diving "excursion" offered at Huahine. What company should I dive with and where?

Thanks a lot! :)

We dove with great DMs at Top Dive. They took us to the Canyons, where we saw this Lemon Shark (not to mention the black tips that were everywhere!)...
HoneymoonInTahiti-05-19-200511-43-3.jpg

We also dove at Tiki with TONS of Gray Reef sharks, White Tips, and more black tips...
HoneymoonInTahiti-5-22-200511-48-01.jpg

I would definitely recommend...

Thanks to both of you for your help!

I think Mike's advice is good although I'm curious about the Cooks.

Dr Bill, I have read about the devastation that the Crown of Thorns is causing in the Cook Islands (Rarotonga). It apparently eats the equivalent of its body mass in coral each day. I will avoid diving in Rarotonga.

I have read that Moorea and Huahine are excellent, and Bora Bora is very good for divers.

I have heard that Tahiti is so-so.

I have read on here that some people thought Raiatea was so-so, and some thought it's good, so not sure about that one. :huh:

We did this trip in November & would do it again in a heeartbeat. Dove in Rarotonga, Raiatea, Bora Bora & Moorea. Used Top Dive in Bora & Moorea...split the 10 dive pkg with wife & did 3 dives in Bora & 2 in Moorea. Used the ship excursion in Raiatea and was with Hemispher Sub. Had excellent dives on all those islands. Used Pacific Divers in Rarotonga and although we really liked their organization, the shop is on the other side of the island from the tender pier and it took up a lot of the day going back & forth. The spots we went to there were pretty bleak, but we did see an abundance of sea life and it is so much less expensive to dive there, we couldn't pass it up. have pics in the link below:

Mike

http://web.mac.com/csealove/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Conditions change by the hour on most of these islands...wind , tides and just about anything you can think of happens there . Try EVERY dive opportunity and location you can...
Bora Bora is famous for Manta Ray dives in the lagoon...I tried 6 dives there and didn't see one , and yet on my first dive in Raiatea I saw a school with about 10 of them...you never know . Either way...enjoy , it's the trip of a lifetime .

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Mike, great pics on your website. All of the islands look really beautiful...

Oldtimer, there have been thunderstorms in Tahiti almost every day for the last few weeks. I know this is the rainy season, but I hope the weather will improve greatly a few weeks from now. Let's hope the conditions change for the BETTER... :)

Definitely don't miss diving in Moorea and Huahine. I get down to Moorea for a couple weeks every year and never tire of the diving there. It's been probably 10-12 years since I've been in Huahine but it remains one of the very best dives I've ever done. I don't remember the name of the dive outfit, but it was small. I was the only diver, we were in a dugout canoe, (with outboard engine), and one of the two DMs, the father-in-law of the American lady that ran the place, was said to be the first Tahitian to bring SCUBA to Huahine. A memorable day!

As for the weather, it's typical tropical. If it rains it's usually only for a couple of hours at most, followed by blue skies. You should be fine.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom