Pompano beach 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well this trek to Pompano in FEB. has become a tradition and this year proved to be spectacular. I arrived on thursday and settled in for the nite. I awoke friday morning to a stiff wind and 3 foot chop, I bagged a shallow dive and did not regret it, the mate said he wished they had bagged.

Friday nite my instructor showed up and we made plans for a skill dive saturday morning. We dove the ancient mariner in 70fsw and I did the basic 5, s drill, valve drill, and stage drop and recover, all went well. We had planned on a 60 minute run time, but around the 45 minute mark we had seen it all at least twice, so we called it.

Sunday morning was brrrr. Instructor bagged and I went on another shallow dive for giggles. 60 fsw with a 60 minute run time. visibility was around 40 feet and there was a noticeable surge. I enjoyed it, the other split fin folks not so much.

Monday the gang all showed up and we warmed up on the jim atria. Uneventfull shake down in around 130fsw. I did a 65 minute run time.

Tuesday it was off to the hydro. Max planned depth was 165, but it went tits up. We planned to dive as a 3 man team for a total of 30 minutes bottom time. I was on 21/20, bill was on a revo, and bob was on 21%. Going down the line was fine, but at 135 bob was narcked out of his mind. Non responsive, un able to buddy up, going his own way. We called it at 18 minutes and got him to his 40' stop where he straightened right up on 70%. Although it was a short dive, seeing bob so narcked was a sobering reminder of what can happen at depth.

Wednesday found us at the miller lite. Max planned depth was 150fsw with a 70 minute run time. Bob did much better on 21/20 and we all had a great dive. I survived some failures and shot a bag from 70 fsw and drifted out my deco. I have determined that reels are for navigation and the only way to shoot a bag is by using a spool.

Thursday we were back on the hydro and took the tour of the engine room and got into the machinist compartment to look at the lathe and drill press. The tour of the wreck also showed us the giant grouper and a lot of interesting bits in the sand hold. Total run time was 74 minutes.

Friday we were scheduled to do the rbj and cory, but some had to fly and did not want to push that deep. We voted to do the hydro again as it never fails to please. I drove down and was leaving on Sunday so I pushed out a long one with a run time 100 minutes. I went longer than the breather guys on open circuit, ha ha!

All in all a great time. I can not recomend the folks at Pompano Dive Center enough. Very tech friendly and banked gas on site for fills, what more could you ask?
cheers
Eric

Great report Eric!! I was in Fort Lauderdale at the same time and the weather was awesome. My shoulder operation kept me from diving but I plan to make this an annual trip,maybe next year.Cant wait for spring :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom