Trip Report Hydro Atlantic 07/03/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally got to dive the Hydro Atlantic! It was amazing, and definitely lived up to the hype. The dive itself was amazing. Visibility was 100'+. The wreck is huge, with so much life on it and interior areas to explore. The main bridge superstructure has collapsed on the starboard side, but you can still see the shape of it. We did a lap of the deck and then looked inside the stern and the Engine Room area. I strongly recommend talking to the Dive master before dropping, as he gave us a lot of useful information that made our dive a lot more enjoyable.

I dived HP120s with an Alu 40 of 100% O2 for deco. GF was 40/85. My buddy was diving LP95s with 80% for deco.

I definitely felt the effects of narcosis on this dive (breathing 24%), so I think a Trimix class is in my future.

We dived with South Florida Diving HQ who ran a great operation. This was my first time diving on a true "Tech" boat, with no recreational divers. On all my previous Ocean Deco dives I had been in the minority of tech divers, or I was the only diver doing deco.

A few things I learnt from the experience:

- This was a much more relaxed trip. Everyone was left to organize themselves, and it was noticably less stressful than being on a regular boat. The Captain (Jeremy) and Dive Master (Geronimo), were very professional, but relaxed at the same time. I didn't feel rushed in anyway. The crew on this trip were awesome!

- The Dive master came around and asked everyone their run times which he wrote down. There were no limits placed on runtimes. My buddy and I were planning a 100 minute runtime, which was the longest of the group. Most were between 60 - 75 minutes. There was a mixture of OC and rebreather divers. This goes without saying, but make sure you have a run time number ready to tell them, so they know when to expect you on the surface.

- The DM also asked how many DSMBs we would be shooting. Talking with the Captain later this was clearly a big deal. He said if that if he had 6 divers in the water, and he could see 6 SMBs, he knew they were all good. The preference was definitely for each diver to shoot a DSMB rather than one per team. This was to assist the boat crew with accountability.

- The Captain also stressed the need to shoot the DSMB as soon as you left the wreck, rather than waiting until later in your stops. This meant that the bag surfaced over the wreck where he was looking for you, rather than down current.

- The DM explained that their DSMB procedure was that one bag on one line meant all ok, two bags on the same line meant an emergency/ assistance needed. This seemed very clear and straightforward, but it is worth knowing ahead of time to ensure you have a minimum of two DSMBs / lift bags on you.

- Another nice touch that I really appreciated, was that during our 20' stop the Dive master dropped in to check on us! He made sure we were ok and checked how much deco time we had left. Afterwards he explained to me that if needed he could have brought extra O2, or arranged for assistance. He said he tried to check in with every diver / group during their deco. I was really impressed by this! I'm not used to having shore support!

In summary this was a fantastic trip! I hope my notes help anyone else doing this dive or any other trips with South FL Dive HQ. I cannot recommend them enough!!

I will definitely be back to dive the Hydro again!

Good report. Sounds like their protocols are simple, effective and safe. I always liked to have a freediver swim down and check on people on deco. It is just not that hard to do and can make everyone's day less stressful. Maybe one thing you left out.. what is the signal for bring me a deco bottle, PLEASE.?

..Talking with the Captain later this was clearly a big deal. He said if that if he had 6 divers in the water, and he could see 6 SMBs, he knew they were all good.
We also do this on certain dives even if the divers are shoulder to shoulder. Some divers argue is too much >work >stupid >repetitive >etc. But it is a huge communication help to the captain so I know I'm not scanning the surface for another bubble pattern.

Great trip writeup @lukeb

Magnificent!

Yeah one dsmb per person or stay the at home, what are they too busy

I'm not used to FL, how do you shoot 2 bags on one line? Like inflate 2 on the same line?

To me that seems like it would be stressful in an emergency situation (but maybe I'm not understanding?).

Cool report.. can't wait to get back down there.

Where I dive it's smb = all good, lift bag = something's wrong. Always interested to learn how it's done elsewhere.

I'm not used to FL, how do you shoot 2 bags on one line? Like inflate 2 on the same line?

Put up one and then inflate the second and let it slide up the line?

This was what I was planning on if I needed to. Shoot one as per usual. Then clip a second bag to the same line and send it up.

It did make me think about how my DSMBs are rigged. To do this it would be easiest to have a bolt snap or some other clip at the base of your second bag.

I'm actually going to do a Hudson Grotto trip soon to practice doing just this! I'm sure it is easier said than done!

Put up one and then inflate the second and let it slide up the line?
Yep, that's what we do too. If it's a thin reel line a bolt snap is fine. If we are anchored and spearfishing on a wreck and need to send a fish up, we'll put the fish on a hoop stringer then close the stringer around the anchor line with an smb and shoot it up so it easily slides along the rope. Capt then grabs it with a dock hook, unclips it and brings it onboard leaving the anchor line in place. Works perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom