Pony Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I have dove with a pony bottle is when I do deco dives and my pony bottle is a steel 40 with a DIN connector. I sling my tank from left shoulder and left hip D rings - it is never in the way. What you have to ask yourself, if you mainly do wreck diving around here, is when are you going to upgrade to doubles? When you do so, you'll find you will probably never use your 13 cu ft tank again.

If you have tank issues, are you going to the surface directly from where you are or do you need to go back to the anchor line first? Are you using a reel to get back to the anchor line or are you too far away to get back there and then start your ascent with the amount of gas you have in your small tank? Do you have two reels in case you need to ascend immediately?

If your main purpose in buying this pony bottle is redundancy, you need to be looking at more than do you have enough gas to get back to the surface alive. Without a solo certification and not diving doubles, your buddy should be your first call of port for gas if you have tank issues. If you are intent on getting a pony bottle, I would recommend a 30 cu ft. What BC do you have?

If it was pink, I am sure you wouldn't care, if it saved your life. :D

I can ascend at a slow pace without a line. I would get 9 minutes with a 13 Cu Ft which would easily allow me to swim to the line and ascend with a safety stop and cut my way out of fishing line if the perfect storm caused me to run out of air while getting tangled up. I would not care if it was pink if it only came in pink but if I can get a blue one that would save my life just the same than why not?

Wow 8 replies and not one questioned answered. I even stated that I was not looking for advice on the size of the tank. I appreciate the concern but I feel a 13 Cu Ft tank is already overkill for the dives I am doing. As I already stated I have a good buddy that would be my first option but was looking for an additional backup.

I appreciate the concern but I understand the risks of diving and I am completely comfortable with this decision and was just asking for some help finding a first stage. You cannot prepare for 100% of anticipated problems but a good buddy and a completely redundant backup that will easily allow me to surface at a controlled rate I like my odds.

Take some free advise from someone who knows....go with a 19cf cylinder.

You don't want advice. you want validation.

In re-reading your later post.....I think you are not as in tune with the needs of redundant gas supply as you think you are.....but as you learn in your diving career things can change......a 13cf cylinder always makes a great gas delivery cylinder for a dry suit in the future.

As to a reg to use with a pony cylinder you might consider a Salvo first/second stage.....solid performance at a good price.

I too would go with a 19 instead of a 13. There are several advantages in going with a standard first stage.

If you sling it off of your left d rings (upper and lower) you can get by with a button gauge that you can read underwater.

You can move you sling strap from a 19 to a 30, 40 or 80 in just a few minutes. If you have to use the pony on your first dive or donate it just borrow an al80 from the boat and you won't miss the second dive. I have heard some east coast charters require a pony.

If you have a reg problem you can use a rental from the boat or borrow one.

I use a 19 which is actually 19.9, slung with a scubapro mk2 R290 bungied around the neck. The R290 is a small size which works out great. If you decide on a setup like this make sure you get a button gauge with a face about the size of a quarter. My first one was too small to read underwater reliably and I have 20/20.

Back
Top Bottom