Pony tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When carrying a pony bottle I cut my main tank reserves roughly in half, so I'll start to ascend at around 600 psi and maybe have 300 at my safety stop and surface with 50-100 psi.

I've got the reserve in the pony tank so it allows me to draw my main tank gas lower

Wow recommending the NUMBER ONE NO NO with regard to pony bottles

Very bad advice, do you have any more I can help you with

Perhaps you may want to amend your post

I started with a Spare AIr maybe 10-15 years ago, then upgraded to a 19cf pony bottle and now I carry a 30 ct pony bottle.

You say that you always start your ascent with 1000 psi. When carrying a pony bottle I cut my main tank reserves roughly in half, so I'll start to ascend at around 600 psi and maybe have 300 at my safety stop and surface with 50-100 psi.

I've got the reserve in the pony tank so it allows me to draw my main tank gas lower, giving me extra gas on virtually every dive plus the safety of the redundancy of the second independent tank and regulator.

I have an integrated octo regulator as well, because on shallow reef dives I don't typically bother with the pony tank.
Using the extra cylinder as part of your gas planning means your using a stage cylinder not a pony. A pony is for when things go pear shaped.

Ok then let's call it a pony bottle for the bulk of the dive for when and if things go south, and then it's an extra stage cylinder towards the end of the dive.

It's only words.

No, it's not only words. It is proper planning. Stage, Pony, Monkey butt, I don't care what you call it. It is about proper use and planning of said gas. You just threw your reserve away and are planning on returning with an empty tank. Returning with 50-100 PSI should be the plan in case the monkey butt gas doesn't work right, not your regular planning.

That is an accident waiting to happen.

That is an accident waiting to happen.

Diver A is your typical single tank AL80 diver, returning to the boat with anywhere between 500-750 PSI.

Diver B has an AL80 plus a second completely redundant 30cf tank. Diver B returns to the boat with between 50-100 PSI in the main tank PLUS a completely full 30cf pony bottle.

Diver B has the safety of redundancy throughout the entire dive plus he returns to the boat with more gas than Diver A.

Diver B is in a much safer position and LESS likely to have an OOA situation than your typical Diver A.

Unless there was a malfunction with your pony reg or the tank either drained during the dive or was not full to begin with. There is no logical reason to suck down your main tank just because you think you have a security blanket.

Unless there was a malfunction with your pony reg or the tank either drained during the dive or was not full to begin with. There is no logical reason to suck down your main tank just because you think you have a security blanket.

I dive with the pony tank valve open and I have a transmitter on the first stage with an air integrated wrist computer on my left arm so I don't "think", I "know" exactly how much of a reserve I have at all times.

I started with a Spare AIr maybe 10-15 years ago, then upgraded to a 19cf pony bottle and now I carry a 30 ct pony bottle.

You say that you always start your ascent with 1000 psi. When carrying a pony bottle I cut my main tank reserves roughly in half, so I'll start to ascend at around 600 psi and maybe have 300 at my safety stop and surface with 50-100 psi.

I've got the reserve in the pony tank so it allows me to draw my main tank gas lower, giving me extra gas on virtually every dive plus the safety of the redundancy of the second independent tank and regulator.

I have an integrated octo regulator as well, because on shallow reef dives I don't typically bother with the pony tank.
This is extraordinarily poor advice. Please don’t do this.

It makes no difference weather you have a pony or not. Your gas calculations should be based only on your primary gas supply. If you're using your pony for accent, something has gone wrong.

Just get bigger tanks. (and then a pony)

Safe diving.

I’m also in the DON’T DO THIS EVER camp. Some of the worst advice I’ve seen WRT an alternate air source/pony bottle. It should NOT be part of or influence your gas plan for the dive. It is sized based upon your deepest planned depth & your RMV. It is then ignored in terms of your planned dive. It is for extreme gas loss emergencies only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom