Pool Session #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dotyj

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all:

I did most of pool sessio #3 today. Everything except for CESA. I'll do the CESA next week.

Today I wore a large BCD, I'd been wearing a medium. I also used an AL80 tank, I'd been using an AL50. Next week I'll be back to using a medium BCD but I really liked the tank. The height was just right for me to sit on the deck with my legs in the water and kit up.

I managed to put the 3mm shorty on by myself this time. No easy feat for someone who can't stand. Whew.

Today I also dove with a brand new Tusa mask I bought yesterday. It has a good field of view through the lens and has side lens made of plasic. I really enjoyed using it. My mustache is still a problem though and I had to keep clearing my mask. Last night I trimmed under my nose and that helped, but my mustache is a bit thick, I should have trimmed it down a bit.

I did a side entry today. The side entry worked really well, though I still had trouble with my feet floating, so my instructor put a 1.5 pound ankle weight on each ankle. Turned out to be a tad too much though and we'll cut that down a bit on the next pool session.

I can live with side entries and my friends won't snicker when I talk about back entries. :)

My instructor quizzed me on the problem I had with disconnecting the low pressure inflator hose from my BCD two weeks ago. I told him I just couldn't do it. He asked what I could have done instead if it happened for real. I told him I'd given it some thought afterwards and said I could have pressed my deflate button. He said that was good but said I'd be better off to use the dump valve instead. He explained that the dump valve could more than keep up with a stuck inflator and demonstrated it for me before I finished kitting up. At least I was thinking in the right direction.

Since my current instructor is taking over for my last instructor he had me run through a few things I should have learned already. I practiced removing and replacing my mask underwater, retrieving a lost regulator, alternate air source use. The basics really.

We then did alternate air source swimming back and fourth across the bottom of the pool.

We practiced the fin pivot using both the power inflator and my mouth. I did well with the inflate button, but really messed up inflating manually.

When I went to inflate the BCD manually I blew way too much air into the BCD and shot upright. I pressed the deflate button and came back down and tried again. My instructor had fun watching me discover how little air I needed to put in my BCD. It was a fun exercise.

I performed the tired diver tow. First the tank valve tow, then swimming beside the diver using my right hand tucked under my intructor's right armpit area, then finally by pushing my instructor in front of me with his fins on my shoulders.

I had a lot of trouble with the last tow method, by then I was winded and felt like I was having trouble breathing. I had my snorkel in my mouth and found out I was taking shallow rapid breaths. NOT GOOD with a snorkel. I realize now that I should have done the last tow with my reg in my mouth instead so I wasn't so prone to breathing back my ow expelled CO. Not good at all. I can see where a tired diver can feel like he/she can't breath and panic. Pretty scary. I did finish the tow though and asked to take a break.

I felt great again in just a few minutes and we went back down and I practiced breathing from a free flowing reg. I really was sweating that one. I'd watched it domonstrated on the video on my computer and felt it looked really dangerous. My instructor was right there though and I knew I'd get help if I needed it. Well, I did great. Turns out it's no big deal, at least not in the pool.

By the time we finished the free flowing regulator drill, I was pretty fitigued so we swam around a bit then called it a day without having done a CESA. We'll do the CESA next week. I could barely pull myself up the ladder, but did so unaided. All in all I got a great workout today and improved my confidence a lot.

As my last instructor did, my current instructor demonstrated everything he wanted me to do and then had me do it.

My instructor is happy with my progress and pleased to see that I'm at ease in the water and learning to cope with learning to dive. I feel very confident about how I'm progressing.

I had a really good time today. Scuba diving might just be the best thing I've done in a long time.

Now the fun part. By early this evening I noticed that I have a sore throat and a runny nose. I don't feel well. I work for a school district and think maybe one of my co-workers or a student infected me with a cold or the flu. Crap. I'm calling in sick tomorrow and taking care of myself. I want to be well for next week's dive.

Thanks for reading.

Congratulations James on sticking with it despite the instructor switch and the few missed appointments.

Glad to hear session 3 went well and you are doing so good... keep it up and you will be OW certified in no time.

I can't wait to hear what you think of Hood Canal :D

Thanks Uncle Pug:

I really had a good time. I'm concerned about my upcoming CESA but like everything else, it probably is less dramatic than I'm thinking it will be. This whole experience has been worth the effort and the expense $435.00 - Yikes!

Yesterday we explored the bottom of the pool. Doesn't sound too exciting I know, but we checked out the warm water vent at the bottom and I enjoyed warming my hands over it. Nifty.

My instructors have been very patient and I really appreciate that.

Yesterday after I kitted up, my instructor had to physically drag me over next to the edge of the pool and help me get my feet out in front of me to do the side entry. I did great though and the side entry seems to work very well for me.

Hood Canal will be an awesome dive. I don't know where yet that we're going to go in but I don't really have much concern about that just yet. My main goal is to get wet and enjoy myself. Once I'm more sure of myself I can be more of a siteseer.

Every session serves not only as an indicator of how far I've come but also how very far I have to go.

After performing three tired diver tows yesterday, I awoke today with more than a few sore muscles. Not to mention the cold or flu I got from a co-worker. I'm home sick today. I don't want to expose more people to what I've got and I'm feeling guilty over having exposed my instructor yesterday. I woke with a bit of a headache but was fine so I took a couple of Tylanol before leaving for my pool session. I didn't realize I was truely ill. I wonder if that lead to my feeling of being out of breath on my last tired diver tow?

Well, I just turned a short reply into a long reply so I'll stop now.

When I do get up there to dive, I'd like to give you a call. I plan to go have dinner with a close friend and maybe you'd like to tag along? I'm considering letting her introduce me to sushi, or maybe her favorite Mongolian place. My favorite Mongolian grill got turned into a sports bar. :(

dotyj once bubbled...
I managed to put the 3mm shorty on by myself this time. No easy feat for someone who can't stand. Whew.

Putting the wetsuit is not the easiest thing in the world, even for those that can stand. For me, it probably ranks first on the "most dreaded" list of things to do before a dive. Standing in the hot sun + starting to sweat a little + pulling on a wetsuit = not a pretty sight. :D

Sounds like your instruction is going great! Keep it up and keep us posted on your next session.

Back
Top Bottom