Poor briefing and going off line in Cenotes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CatBalou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I'm new to these forums and have only 18 dives to my name, so I'd be grateful for an opinion from you guys on this.

I was in Mexico last week and booked a Cenotes trip with the Cozumel dive operation I was doing my AOW with (very reputable).

There was a French guy in our little group and he got a briefing in French at the hotel we picked the gear up from because our guide didn't speak French. I could get at least the gist of most of it. We were promised the same briefing for the rest of us in English at the Cenote but what we got from our guide was very patchy compared with the French briefing - the guide didn't ask for our experience, just "who's following me?", didn't warn us not to go off the line, was unclear about the light signals to use, didn't mention the 2m/6ft spacing between divers or the frog kick technique to avoid stirring up the halocline. He was about to set off from the hotel with only one tank per person for a two-tank dive until his boss pointed that out to him, and he forgot to give us our flashlights until we asked for them while putting our gear on.

This was at the KuKulKan/Chac Mool Cenote, and not knowing the history (we weren't told the site in advance), I asked about the crosses at the entrances to Chac Mool. The guide gave me a long and clearly BS explanation about Mayan ceremonies and the crosses marking north, south, east and west (vertically??), "or maybe there was some accident here". It was only that evening when I googled that I found out about the tragedy at that cenote last year. To be honest, I would have preferred an upfront explanation hence me asking about them in the first place, although I can appreciate that's not easy to give.

Throughout, our guide (who none of us had met before) seemed jittery and on edge, particularly when my tank leaked while we were on the surface before the first dive. He wouldn't explain to me what he was doing to fix it and he looked visibly angry about it, complaining that the O-rings didn't get checked/replaced often enough by the dive operation.

As a newbie, and particularly (this bit is my fault) not appreciating how little access to the surface there would be before we saw the plan of the route on the way there, I was slightly freaked out by his attitude.

The bit that bothered me most was that towards the end of the Chac Mool Cenote, we went off the line. I thought we were just jumping to another line but the guide continued on and down, away from the surface and away from the line. After a couple of minutes of trying to talk myself out of feeling stressed by this, I signalled with my light, slowly up and down, and asked where the line was (drawing a line in the water with my fingers) - he then turned round and swam up to the surface. This was to get back to the Pequeno Hermano entrance, which we'd started from.

Now, I've no idea whether it's standard to reach the Pequeno Hermano entrance off the line, but I do know that I was pretty freaked out by being led off the line by a guide I already felt uncomfortable with, and I don't know whether he would have turned back to the surface at that point if I hadn't questioned us being off the line.

Having done it, it was an awesome experience that I'm glad to have had, but for much of the two dives I had no idea at all where the nearest surface was, other than following the line. In the worst of the halocline it would have been impossible to find the line anyway - all I could make out was the guide's light. I don't know what I would have been able to do if my equipment had failed - hence the guide getting angry about the leak in my tank, I guess.

All in all, I felt pretty out of my depth (no pun etc...) and not sure that it's a particularly safe dive for new divers with no overhead experience or training, even on the line.

If you've got this far, thanks for reading! All opinions welcome...

CB

I am glad that you used good judgment and questioned the guide when things seemed off.

For future cenotes, I would recommend against Chac Mool. I did that last year and most of the dive the halocline was so stirred up that I fely like I was in a container of vinegar and water. It was not fun.

I would forward this post or amended as you see fit to the dive shop management. Your dive was not at Paradise reef.

IMO (others may disagree and I mean no offense) a diver with only 18 dives has no business diving the cenotes, even with better guidance. I won't comment on the performance of the DM and dive op because I wasn't there and we only have one POV represented here.

Having never been in that pond, I can't say it is completely lined, but with the traffic it has, it should be. Sounds like you were on top of your game, not only with the information about the dive site, but the reasonable and safe method to dive it. There is no telling how many divers are killed by the actions of someone they don't know and they blindly followed, just because they may have some kind of credential. Some people are going to bark about you being in there in the first place, but cenotes are safe if you don't go into overhead or leave the line. I would have no problem with what you did for one reason...You may be a new diver, but you think for yourself and go to the trouble to be informed. When it comes to diving you may live long and prosper.

I'm not flaming,... but more curious,....I can't help but question that you seemed uncomfortable with your guide & his behavior.... yet you still followed him- blindly. I would have been questioning him immediately when he got off the line. Those lines are there for a reason (to get you back to the exit). There was a triple fatality there last year when a guide, with an inadequate air supply, led 2 tourist off line, into the cave, became lost & ran out of air. Very tragic sequence of events. It amazes me the way newer divers will just blindly follow a guide. Part of it is the way in Open Water student divers are lead to believe that they must follow the dive leader,... no questions. I try to challenge my students to question me,... I want my OW graduates to be autonomous divers,... not have to feel like they MUST follow a guide to be safe. Dive leaders/ guides are humans, they also make mistakes,... which in these circumstances, can be deadly. It was excellent you finally questioned what he was doing,... but I would say your gut feeling was trying to lead you in to making the right decision. I would suggest, if you are still interested in overhead diving, to take an overhead environment class (cavern). It will show you in many ways the "what ifs" that can happen in those kind of dives. I am not trying to be overly critical, but am just disapointed with the way newer diver will just follow anyone anywhere, if they present themselves as knowing what they are doing....

Having nothing to do with your specific question, I'd just like to say two things:

• As you get father away from a functioning legal system, the level of care you can expect drops quickly.
  • As an open water diver, you should never go inside anything,
    If you can't see the sky from where you are, you're exceeding your training and have no way to handle an emergency.

flots

Good for you for signaling. Apparently the only way you can get to the Little Brother entrance without line near you is not only going off the line, but through a restriction, which is something open water divers should absolutely never do.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Be VERY careful who you book your tours with. Just because an operator has done a good job for you in open water does NOT mean the same will be true in the caverns. Shops often contract with independent contractors to take the cenote tours, and some shops don't do much to assess the quality or set any guidelines for the conduct of the tours. There are a lot of people who need to make money in the Yucatan, and cavern guiding is a way to do it. Stick to reputable people. You can get a whole list of names by perusing the threads here on ScubaBoard -- I have my own favorites, but there are quite a few people strongly recommended here whom I've never even met, and I'm sure they are very good people.

I do not think the cavern tours are unduly dangerous for a competent open water diver, but they can be extremely dangerous if the rules are not followed. Knowing what the rules are, and interviewing the guide about whether they will be followed, is good preparation, but in the end, only the diver can ensure his own safety.

A shop may be very reputable, but as a new aow, they should have advised you to gain more experience before diving the cenotes. The main reason that you were able to complete the dives, is that you don't yet know how much you don't know. The cenotes are remote and they are overhead envirions. Anytime that you cannot make a direct ascent to the surface, you are beyond the basic training of recreational diving. You are lucky that you had a bad experience. If the entire dive went well you would think that you are ready for bigger and badder diving. You are not. Get more experience, more mentoring, and read more scubaboard. Too much wrong with this trip to start analyzing the details. No redundant lights, not clear signals, where were the car keys hidden, etc,etc,etc.

As someone else mentioned --- IMHO, a diver with only 18 dives has no business in any overhead environment, especially cenotes. Sorry but I just don't think you were ready for such an experience, its called Task Loading, and would have been a better experience after a few dozen more ocean dives regardless of who you were diving with.

Thank you for sharing. I learned many valuable lessons from your experience.

I think any diver who is not trained in overhead protocols and cave, regardless of how many OW dives you had, should never enter any overhead environment. There are too many what-ifs. DM has a heart attack, silt up and loss of bearings, do you know which way is out, twin tank equipment failure, no redundancy of critical equipment e.g. Torches etc.,

I found the information in this video very helpful.

A deceptively easy way to die - Cave Diving - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom