poor mans haskel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After reading Vance Harlows great book Oxy Hackers Companion, I decided to try using my compressor to recover the helium from the end of a tank. I used an O ring, a garbage bag, an old snorkel and some duct tape and attached the flexible snorkel end to my compressor inlet, the other end inside the bag taped in place. The transfill whip with DIN connector went to the other end of the bag and I filled it with HE.
I drained my towers down so I could gauge when the HE was getting through. It took about 30 seconds to get the helium to the tank. I used an O2 tester to tell me when the he started flowing. I filled the 63cuft tank to about 2200psi from a helium tank that only had less than 400 psi. One miscalulation I made was how long for the air to flow after. Since after the HE ran out I dumped the remainder to a tank that had air in it (about 1500 psi) I assumed it would take 30 seconds for the he to clear the circuit. After filling the dump tank I analyzed the O2 and found about 19% That tells me about 10% helium got through into the AL 80. Next time I will use my O2 tester to decide when to stop the HE fill.
My end result on this fist run was about 95% he at 2200 psi that I was going to send back to the gas supplier.
Thanks Vance you just saved me $15.

I don't own a compressor, but aren't there some serious heating and wear issues to consider when pumping pure He through a compressor?

Scubaroo:
I don't own a compressor, but aren't there some serious heating and wear issues to consider when pumping pure He through a compressor?

If I was doing it for any length of time but it took about 5 min to drain my T cylinder.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom