Porpoise CA-1 regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hamazing

I've still got those exhaust wires, fuse wire is good period stuff, leave them silver, stainless too shiny
yeah or paint them original

boys I don't even know what my models are called and I have 2 copies of the Porpoise bible

I found a picture of my hodgepodge, there's that mouldy second stage before the mould

full.jpg

the first is still original

I hit the rechromed second with wet and dry ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I can feel the shuddering from here ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

OK finally had some time to make some special tools and get the Porpoise CA-1 back together!
As outlined earlier. the Porpoise first stage can trace its heritage back to a 1940's CIG gas welding oxygen regulator, and as such had an Imperial G5/8" BSP bullnose gas connection.

The original twin tanks that came with this set were repurposed WWII LP oxygen tanks with a rated WP of 1800psi (125BAR)
They seemed in very good condition visually, but I was able to get them hydro tested at 2500psi (175BAR) and then filled to 125BAR.
I wanted to decant a modern tank into a lower pressure unit for testing as NO local dive shop was ever going to fill a WWII twin set!

I discovered Narked@90 sell a Bullnose G5/8" to DIN adaptor so could connect the Porpoise to a modern cylinder filled to 125BAR.

I made up two tools to service and tune the CA-1 (part # refers to the HDS A-P Porpoise bible listed earlier)
First was a large ring spanner to remove the first stage #18 Regulator Body Top without damage to the chrome or soft brass.
A repurposed cycle spanner I got for $2 at a local trash'n'treasure market with three extra lugs added proved ideal.
Second was a toothed tube spanner to remove and replace #9 HP Valve Chamber... quite tricky to snug it down properly without this tool. Again a repurposed cycle tool.

Another good thing about a SCUBA regulator having a heritage with gas welding equipment is that there are plenty of connectors available to rig up a IP gauge. So I used an oxygen hose fitting on the end of a repurposed LP inflator hose to connect my IP gauge.
With a Y connector you can run both the second stage and an IP gauge... luxury!

The Porpoise first stage has an OPV that pops at 120psi, so I set the IP at 100psi... when first setting up that roughly corresponds to three threads showing above the IP spring adjust screw locknut.

Having gained 100psi IP I then set about tuning the second stage.
There is no purge valve and none of the usual cracking point adjustments on a CA-1.
Once you have the diaphragm installed, any adjustments are made via bending #15 Lever Fulcrum a little at a time.
I can now see why the LP valve assembly drops out very quickly via a knurled retention ring, many disassembly and reassembly cycles needed to get it right!

SO, finally I have a working CA-1... it still needs some final tuning from local Porpoise guru Tony Gregory as WOB seems very high compared to say a Royal Aqua Master double hose which it was eventually to dominate in the market.

It has been quite an effort to get here... hope you enjoy my Porpoise journey in pictures.

Attachments

• Porpoise 03.jpg
    Porpoise 03.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Porpoise 02.jpg
    Porpoise 02.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Porpoise 01.jpg
    Porpoise 01.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Porpoise 04.jpg
    Porpoise 04.jpg