Port closed Nov 20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andies

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The port was closed today

Is there a Web site that would provide the status to public if the port closed?

It would be nice to be able to check on the port status before taking the trip down to the dock with the gear etc

Sadly enough, no website. Would make a world of sense, but no.

The port was closed today

Is there a Web site that would provide the status to public if the port closed?

It would be nice to be able to check on the port status before taking the trip down to the dock with the gear etc

You should speak with your dive op about this. Although we don't actually get the "official" word until about 7:30 - 8am these days with the time difference between us and the main Harbor Master report. Q. Roo is the only state that doesn't change time.

However, I expect tomorrow morning will be on schedule as planned. The winds have calmed down significantly.

The best website that I know of (and I learned this from Christi) is to watch windguru ( Windguru - Cozumel, Mexico ) and to use a little common sense. Any thing further than 2 - 3 days out is questionable data. A wind direction past North in a westerly direction down to due South with a speed over 10 Knots and you have reason to be concerned. If you are in the downtown area and observe sea water spraying over the seawall, go back to bed. Even if the port stays open in questionable conditions your dive op may elect to stay in port, with good reason. Last Fat Tuesday the harbor opened late in questionable conditions, I think everyone's bitching at the port captain for previous decisions influenced this. The 3P boat led the charge out of the harbor, we attempted a pickup at Fiesta Americana and the owner was on board and reassessed the situation and decided it was not safe and returned to port. I and everyone else on board agreed with the decision. Most ops stayed in the harbor and I talked to one DM who went out and he wished they had stayed in.
As Christi stated often the decision is made late and if the port was closed the previous day the announcement to reopen may not come until after 8AM, even though the sea conditions have obviously settled down. If the op you are using is also planning to use the same boat for an afternoon trip, it is not going to wait around long in the port.

Last edited:
According to our dive op, the port is closed today until at least 9 am.

Sigh....

Take heart and think positive:). Based on the current windguru page I would be very surprised if the port does not reopen.
upload_2016-11-21_6-33-19.png

The best website that I know of (and I learned this from Christi) is to watch windguru ( Windguru - Cozumel, Mexico ) and to use a little common sense. Any thing further than 2 - 3 days out is questionable data. A wind direction past North in a westerly direction down to due South with a speed over 10 Knots and you have reason to be concerned. If you are in the downtown area and observe sea water spraying over the seawall, go back to bed. Even if the port stays open in questionable conditions your dive op may elect to stay in port, with good reason. Last Fat Tuesday the harbor opened late in questionable conditions, I think everyone's bitching at the port captain for previous decisions influenced this. The 3P boat led the charge out of the harbor, we attempted a pickup at Fiesta Americana and the owner was on board and reassessed the situation and decided it was not safe and returned to port. I and everyone else on board agreed with the decision. Most ops stayed in the harbor and I talked to one DM who went out and he wished they has stayed in.
As Christy stated often the decision is made late and if the port was closed the previous day the announcement to reopen may not come until after 8AM, even though the sea conditions have obviously settled down. If the op you are using is also planning to use the same boat for an afternoon trip, it is not going to wait around long in the port.

Spot on explantion :)

Back
Top Bottom