Port Douglas for a week in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John2006

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Any thoughts as to what the diving/climate is like in Port Douglas in August? We're visiting friends in Sydney for two weeks, and I'd like to get some diving in & do some sight seeing as well while we're "down under" in winter. Any suggestions as to sights/operators? I'm not really interested in a live aboard, as the sig-other isn't a diver.

Thanks,
John

Hi John

Port Douglas is fantastic in winter. Water temps will be around the low to mid 20-s (degrees that is...) and the vis is pretty good at the moment. As for boats I'd suggest Poseidon Cruises http://www.poseidon-cruises.com.au/ They go to the outer Agincourt Reef for day trips. They select different sites each day depending on the weather and where they've been the previous couple of days. They cater for non-divers, the lunch on board is great and they have a well stocked bar. They are one of the smaller boats so you won't be diving with 100 other people.

While you're in town drop in to Tech Dive Academy, the local dive shop. They can also book the days out on the boat as well as other local tours for you.

Hope this helps and enjoy your time in OZ.

Cheers

Ads

You might want to stay in Cairns if your other half isnt into diving.

Port Douglas is a quiet town, drove me a little crazy when I lived there, and there is not a lot to do at all. Everything except the pub etc closes really @ 5pm too.

You can easily get a day boat out to the reef from Cairns. I like Quick Silver myself. You can dive while the other half snorkels, takes the mini sub or hangs out with the marine biologist who does talks etc.

To me Cairns fits the bill for the whole family, and there is always something to do.

John2006:
Hi All,

Any thoughts as to what the diving/climate is like in Port Douglas in August? We're visiting friends in Sydney for two weeks, and I'd like to get some diving in & do some sight seeing as well while we're "down under" in winter. Any suggestions as to sights/operators? I'm not really interested in a live aboard, as the sig-other isn't a diver.

Thanks,
John

The day boat operators in Cairns/ Port Douglas almost universaly leave quite a bit to be desired and the diving is okay at the very best. (Osprey reef liveaboards are different and the diving is great.) If you are heading up that way, the day boats are great for snorkelling so bring the sig-other and you can get in a marginal dive or two. I would look into the diving opportunities around Sydney since the diving there caters to more avid divers rather than the discover scuba crowd.

RTodd:
The day boat operators in Cairns/ Port Douglas almost universaly leave quite a bit to be desired and the diving is okay at the very best. (Osprey reef liveaboards are different and the diving is great.) If you are heading up that way, the day boats are great for snorkelling so bring the sig-other and you can get in a marginal dive or two. I would look into the diving opportunities around Sydney since the diving there caters to more avid divers rather than the discover scuba crowd.

Bummer - I disagree about the day trips though

I agree Osprey Reef is top notch (as is Spirit of Freedom liveaboard).

I found the Tusa day boats out of Cairns and Calypso out of Port Douglas to be excellent operations. Both of those ops are locally owned and take out smaller numbers of divers/snorklers.

If you stay in Port Douglas check out the Nautilus Restaurant - its kind of hidden off the main road and is all outdoor, very quiet and relaxing. Cairns is the bigger location - but the beaches are better in Port Douglas, Cairns doesn't really have a beach but the public park (Esplanade) on the water has nice small salt water pools, barbie's etc.

http://www.nautilus-restaurant.com.au/

Either way we love it down under

Cheers

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom