Port Douglas with a 10 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am taking a trip with my family to the Cairns/Port Douglas area in March. We traded a timeshare to get a place pretty close to the water for a week and then we will go inland. My brother is 9 years old right now and has been dying to dive ever since the rest of my family learned in December. He will be 10 and a couple months by the time of our trip. He also has a passion for Australia and told us before we were even planning on going there that one of his dreams was to live and dive in Australia and he is only 9! haha. He has been doing the PADI Seal Team and has loved it and feels pretty comfortable. I know that you can get certified when you are 10 to dive to 40 feet with a parent but what do you guys think about it. My mom(about 40 dives), my sister(about 30 dives), and I(around 45 now but will hopefully have my rescue and a lot more dives by then) will all be diving with him. I have seen a minimum age of 12 for the classes in Australia so does anyone know any shops or ops that might do a private class for a 10 year old. Do you guys think it would be better to maybe do a private class for him before we go on a trip so he has some experience and do a trip down to florida or something or try to do it in Australia? Any opinions you have on this will be very much appreciated. We are trying to get this all figured out early so that we can get him a class over here if we have to. Thanks

Hi

Remember if your going swimming at the beach in Port, stay in the nets.

I honestly dont know any operations etc that will take 10 year olds but try quicksilver http://www.silverseries.com.au/ http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/ but im not sure as i remember i did my first ever dive with them when i was 12 years old, and i just scraped in but that was 17 years ago.

Here are some web sites for Port Douglas

http://www.pddt.com.au/
www.portdouglasinfo.com
www.portdouglasholidays.com
www.portdouglas.com
www.portdouglasdirectory.com

Oh great place to have a great lunch is at the pub at the end of Mcrossan(sp?) st. It is the main street so you wont get lost, towards the water.

Hi Tracy_From_Oz,

You mean Macrossan Street.

Not sure which "pub" you mean, but I rather suspect it's the Courthouse Hotel at Macrossan & Wharf. Old style Oz pub with some nifty views.

If you like creative fusion food in a modern atmosphere, I can highly recommend the Salsa Bar & Grill on Wharf just off Macrossan towards the inlet. Not the least expensive place in town, but still affordable.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Docvikingo,

Yes you are correct the pub I was thinking of is the Courthouse.

The Salsa Grill is also a great place for dinner in town as well.

Back
Top Bottom