Port McNeill Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heading up to Port McNeill Oct 5-9. Anyone have any suggestions for good shore diving locations?
I'm sure there are some shore dives but if you are up there you really should try and get out to browning pass which has some of the best cold water diving on the planet. Browning wall, 7 tree island, rock of life, are a few of the unbelievable sites there. You will need to charter from Port Mcneil. Sun fun divers does that.

I'm sure there are some shore dives but if you are up there you really should try and get out to browning pass which has some of the best cold water diving on the planet. Browning wall, 7 tree island, rock of life, are a few of the unbelievable sites there. You will need to charter from Port Mcneil. Sun fun divers does that.

Thanks!

Unfortunately Sun Fun Divers is fully booked. There is another charter that takes divers out but it needs a minimum of 4 divers to turn the engine of the boat on. We will check that out anyway. Booking trips in advance is not our forte!:shakehead:

What are the rules about the dive flag? Is it required by Canadian Law?

I think you need one if you are a working diver (commercial, dive charter, etc.), but I've never seen a recreational diver use one. To be honest, the thought of pulling one through a kelp forest against a stiff current while seadoos are using it as a race marker freaks me out.

Thanks!

Unfortunately Sun Fun Divers is fully booked. There is another charter that takes divers out but it needs a minimum of 4 divers to turn the engine of the boat on. We will check that out anyway. Booking trips in advance is not our forte!:shakehead:

Did you check out browning pass hideaway. .:: Vancouver Island Dive.com ::. is their website and you could probably join in with a group already going there. 10 of us were there Sept 2-6th and had some awesome dives. All boat diving browning pass area and includes accommodation and meals.

Did you check out browning pass hideaway. .:: Vancouver Island Dive.com ::. is their website and you could probably join in with a group already going there. 10 of us were there Sept 2-6th and had some awesome dives. All boat diving browning pass area and includes accommodation and meals.

Thanks! We know about about that resort. We wish we could afford it...:depressed:

No kidding, that website is so unorganized and it hurts the eyes.
There's always whytecliff!!!

Heading up to Port McNeill Oct 5-9. Anyone have any suggestions for good shore diving locations?

The south side of the ferry dock is supposed to be a decent dive...lots of macro life.

Beaver cove has an old town site that on the north side of the bay between the old fish plant and the log dump. Not a lot of life but a ton of stuff to dig up.

Also Hidden Cove - down Telegraph Cove road has a few kelp beds and walls just outside the bay...pick the tides. Dan and Sandra are awesome folks, they might even let you rinse your gear after.

I would also give Steve a shout at SunFun diving and he would be able to give you a few places.

Hope that helps, and dive safe,

U\O

Thanks, all. We ended up going out with Steve on the Sun Fun, and it was great. We also did four shore dives (one at night) at the boat ramp near Port Hardy, I guess that's called Bear Cove. Tent camping and shore diving in the rain, that's real PNW diving! Glad it didn't get cold! We stayed one night at the Quatse River Campground, and the rest at Cluxewe Resort, both nice. Awoke this morning to the sound of juvenile bald eagles squeaking in the tree right above us. Now the rinsing, soaking, recharging and drying begins...

The south side of the ferry dock is supposed to be a decent dive...lots of macro life.

Beaver cove has an old town site that on the north side of the bay between the old fish plant and the log dump. Not a lot of life but a ton of stuff to dig up.

Also Hidden Cove - down Telegraph Cove road has a few kelp beds and walls just outside the bay...pick the tides. Dan and Sandra are awesome folks, they might even let you rinse your gear after.

I would also give Steve a shout at SunFun diving and he would be able to give you a few places.

Hope that helps, and dive safe,

U\O

Too bad that when we read your post we were already back home:depressed:. Thanks anyway we will keep your info in mind next time we go up there.:)

At Bear Cove we dived the rocky reef just on the left of the boat ramp and explored some boulders on sandy bottom further left. They were both great dives with a lot to see and no worries about currents. Don't expect colorful rocks though. They are mostly encrusted with small barnacles. During every dive we did there we saw something different. If that area were a marine preserve I bet that it would flourish with more fish becoming a site like Keystone Marine Park!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom